Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Attaching a Wrist Strap?

Greetings,

I have a Kobo Reader on the way and I would like to know if there is some way to attach a wrist strap. I know that the Kobo is based on the Netronix EB-600 model which usually has a built in post to attach a strap or lanyard; does the Kobo possess this feature? I also would like some advice on getting a case for the device. I prefer my readers to have a case to guard against twisting effects. If there is no way to attach a wrist strap directly to the device, the case would also have to afford a way to attach a strap (i.e. through a zipper or through the elastic band or through a hole which allows access to the ports on the device). I am really interested in testing how the Kobo reader interacts with the Kobo Desktop for Linux. This would be the first e-Reader device that comes with a desktop application allowing access to premium content that is designed to work with Linux without any jiggery-pokery.

Thank you!

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Hi Luqman - I just checked mine, and there is no place for a wrist strap.

The case is different from the Gen3 and eSlick case; if feels thicker and much more sturdy, and has a thin metal sheet inside.

The Kobo Desktop for Linux works exactly the same as the Windows and Mac versions, but I don't know if it will be updated in the current update. I do not understand what it was supposed to be trying to do, but it seems to only transfer the Kobo format books from Kobo to the computer and then to the reader's SQLite database. It does not transfer epub books at all. I use ADE to download and archive my epub purchases, and avoid the Kobo app as much as possible.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I like the Kobo app and its limitation to Kobo books doesn't bug me.
Any suggestions on a case?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's a long running thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82160 but I haven't seen anything I'd pay money for. I'm using the modified DVD case when I take it somewhere, but find it comfortable by itself for reading.

I do like the Kobo store, but I prefer the epubs instead of the direct download. I will check out the new app when it is released.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #5
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Pholy, you said, "I prefer the epubs instead of the direct download.". I had no idea there was a difference and have been downloading through the app because it is so easy. I assumed what I was loading through the app WAS an epub.

Can you enlighten please. If it is a better read I will do it that way.

Sorry, for another dumb question.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
pholy
Booklegger

@wrenn1 -- It's not a dumb question.

The major difference is that you can't make a backup of the books you download through the Kobo Desktop app. They get 'processed' into the SQLite database, and never show up as individual files in the user visible usb drive. Other internal format differences are not documented, and I have not investigated the one book I happened to download both ways. It seems that the Kobo (aka 'shortcovers') format was the most tested, as witness the many problems that epub users have talked about in these threads. At the moment, the Kobo format gives the better experience, but only Kobo sells books in this format. Unless Kobo publicly documents their format, we can't really do a technical comparison.

Aside from the ability to backup my epubs, and use calibre to catalog them with tags, I guess it's mainly a philosophical preference for open standards and public participation.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
No wrist strap?... Hui! I really love my wrist strap. Consider the times you let a single book drop (at least once) until you finish it, now multiply that by the number of books you'll be reading on your ereader = bangings your new device will be getting without a wrist strap. No matter how civil/perfect you handle it. As a rule I take out the wrist strap only after I'm done with reading... yes even at home.

GJMS
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
pholy
Booklegger

Well, if you really want a wrist strap... Take a look at the pictures in https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/File:OpenKobo.jpg If you are really careful, you can drill a hole through the bottom left corner - no more than a sixteenth inch, I'm sure - between the battery and the edge of the case. Then you can push through a loop of thread fastened to your strap.

I'm not recommending that, mind you. I'm sure you wouldn't have a warranty left, for example, and it will allow dust and moisture to enter the Kobo.

Do I have to explicitly disclaim all responsibility?

Probably.

Last edited by pholy; 06-29-2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: typo