Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Major General
Zealot
Major General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmos

Device: Newest KF 10, iPad, iPad Mini
Aura HD VERY slow startup with microSD inserted

Have an Aura HD, 2.8.1 firmware, with a 16GB microSD.

I have about 2.5 GB of books in main memory, about 500MB on the microSD.

Ever since upgrading to 2.8.1 I've noticed that startup is VERY slow (3-5 minutes) with the microSD inserted. If I startup without it...just a few seconds.

Is there any solution to this? HELP!
Major General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major General View Post
Have an Aura HD, 2.8.1 firmware, with a 16GB microSD.

I have about 2.5 GB of books in main memory, about 500MB on the microSD.

Ever since upgrading to 2.8.1 I've noticed that startup is VERY slow (3-5 minutes) with the microSD inserted. If I startup without it...just a few seconds.

Is there any solution to this? HELP!
Yes. Go back a few firmwares.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have the Aura HD running 2.81 with SD card installed and I do not have that problem. Try signing out of your account (which will give you a new DB) and signing in again.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I have the Aura HD running 2.81 with SD card installed and I do not have that problem. Try signing out of your account (which will give you a new DB) and signing in again.
I suspect that is not going to help. As near as I can tell, the Aura HD since firmware 2.5.1 is rescanning the contents of the uSD card when it is powered on. The boot time improved with 2.6.1 and shortened further with 2.8.1 but the delay is still very noticeable. The more ebooks on the uSD card, the longer the boot delay.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
Major General
Zealot
Major General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmosMajor General has become one with the cosmos

Device: Newest KF 10, iPad, iPad Mini
It's ridiculous...I only had around 150-200 books on it. Anyone think any chance Kobo gets around to fixing it?
Major General is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I misspoke. I am running a newer beta. That being said, I did not notice an issue with 2.81 either. It may be because I don't have a huge amount of books on the card--maybe 80 or so. I recently did a sign out (for a different reason) with the SD card out of the reader. When I inserted it, it took less than 30 seconds to do whatever it does with the books to put them in the new Db.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major General View Post
It's ridiculous...I only had around 150-200 books on it. Anyone think any chance Kobo gets around to fixing it?
Your absolutely right. The problem once agains falls on the Kobo Developers who fix one thing and then break another. Its very depressing that Kobo Seems to take 1 step forward and then 2 steps back when they bring out new firmware.

regards

JAck
Old 09-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I've never really understood how development works for Kobo. My observation suggests that if they are building out a feature, either on the back end or client facing, we often see FW releases with transitional development characteristics. Sure looks buggy when that happens.

There is an alternative. Kobo could release new FW once or twice a year that is more polished/less buggy.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I've never really understood how development works for Kobo. My observation suggests that if they are building out a feature, either on the back end or client facing, we often see FW releases with transitional development characteristics. Sure looks buggy when that happens.

There is an alternative. Kobo could release new FW once or twice a year that is more polished/less buggy.
Or they could hire real programmers who take pride in the work they do and have more experience then what seems like the high school drop outs they currently seem to be using.

regards
Old 09-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Dear Jack; for once and for all please stop these attacks on the staff at Kobo. You have ZERO idea of their skills, experience or anything at all..

You have ZERO idea of the guidelines they function under.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #11
jackastor
Wizard

Last edited by jackastor; 09-09-2013 at 06:42 AM. Reason: duplicated post
Old 09-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
He may be a bit over the top, okay 100 feet over Kilimanjaro, but he has a point. To my knowledge the only information science connected entities that believe it is OK to break other things while fixing yet others, on an ongoing basis, are government subsidized.

Let's lay the cards on the table here, Kobo has all the grace of Chinese tablet manufacturers when it comes to maintaining/improving firmware -and I'm not altogether sure we aren't insulting the tablet manufacturers at times... Maybe it's being a one man show these days, maybe it's that I have top down control over the projects I elect to take on, but if I had to break things, while fixing others, and could not fix/manage the fallout, I'd have the good sense to do nothing! Were I being paid by others to do so, I'd live in daily fear of my job while getting better(sneakier?) as quickly as possible.

No disrespect to the developers, but there is a time for all good men to make a stand. If the marketing department is running things I suggest the programming department inquire just how soon the marketing department will be up to speed to take over further development, at the most crucial stage possible.(If you're going to fight, fight dirty and feel bad about it later if you must.) But, then not knowing the term or details of their employment agreements it's easier to say what I'd do. I wish the development team the best, but I'm not happy as a customer, and I'm a little ashamed as a developer when release after release leaves fundamental issues unaddressed while adding new window dressings. If I wanted new curtains, I'd buy them. I just want Kobo development to realize its full potential.

I, too, offer apologies to those more genteel than I.

Last edited by TechniSol; 09-09-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: reality intruded...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
https://github.com/kobolabs/Kobo-Reader

Giorgio has reported getting advice from the Kobo team, as well. I would agree though it seems that they are operating their development at a low level and appear driven, when there is any appearance of an effort on their part, in a direction that would appeal to marketing and sales, rather than toward a more functional reader. They appear less interested in fixing existing issues and more in creating a more marketable product.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
To my knowledge the only information science connected entities that believe it is OK to break other things while fixing yet others, on an ongoing basis, are government subsidized.
You may have something there, both provincial and federal. Think I'll browse that subject
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
At a risk of offending some very nice and intelligent people, I will have to man up and say I agree with Jack, Ken and technisol. Of course I am sure most already know that.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote