Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
crochetgeek2010
Enthusiast
crochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Orginization on Sony ereaders

Hi,
I am looking @ either the new Kobo aura or the new Sony. Evernote is a nice feature but my big concern is organizing. I currently have a Bookeen Odyssey. I have my books nested 2 and 3 deep folder wise. I know Kobo is book shelves and no folders organize wise. What about Sony? Would I be able to keep my organizing or am I still looking @ redoing stuff for shelves? Thanks

The reader!
crochetgeek2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Sony organization is very similar to the Kobo's. It's a flat shelf system, no nesting/multiple tiers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Just be aware that the Sony "Collections" system is a one layer virtual system... in other words it does not create physical folders
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Hm... not sure about Sony because I used to organize my books in physical folders on it, but with Kobo, a book can be in multiple shelves simultaneously. It's more like tagging system and can by synced / managed by Calibre.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
Hm... not sure about Sony because I used to organize my books in physical folders on it, but with Kobo, a book can be in multiple shelves simultaneously. It's more like tagging system and can by synced / managed by Calibre.

You can do the same thing on the Sonys.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
BWinmill
Nameless Being

For the Kobo (and Sony, I would imagine) you can create a pretend hierarchy by naming things appropriately. For example:

Fiction, Science Fiction
Fiction, Fantasy
Fiction, General
Non-Fiction, Science
Non-Fiction, History
(etc.)

Of course these aren't true folders and it isn't a true hierarchy, but it may do the job if you mentally categorize things in a hierarchy.

The other option is to use other reader software. The Aura HD has koreader, which is progressing nicely but is not ready for primetime. It does handle folders though. I picked up a Sony PRS-T1 to replace my broken Kobo and rooted it within two days in order to use CoolReader, which handles folders as well. (Of course, I'm sure there are other Android readers that would work on the Sony.)