Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-03-2008, 04:58 AM   #1
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
eReaders for the uk?

Hi everyone, Im new to eReaders in general, but did a bit of research over Christmas and was staggered to find that eReaders were available (for others around the world.)

I wonder if I can borrow on your collective experiences and ask for some advice;
I have a huge collection of pdf's, chm's and cbr's (cbr = zipped jpg) which I want to be able to read in the bedroom, living room etc. Currently it means lugging around a heavy laptop. So far I think the Hanlins feature the best for the formats I have got (especially the v9)

Q1. Does anyone know where you can buy Hanlins from? I live in the uk, and ebook readers are almost non existant (apart from the Franklin ones which dont even compare feature wise to any of the eBook readers)

Q2. Can anyone recommend any of the other readers bearing in mind my collection is mainly pdf's (but a lot of chm's and cbrs too).

Q3. Does anyone in the uk use ebook readers?? I cant understand why they just arent available here?

Many thanks in advance for your time.
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are lots of us in the UK who have eBook readers; the most popular ones are the Sony, CyBook Gen3, and iRex iLiad, all of which can be easily bought here in the UK.

PDFs are a problem. Most are formatted for A4/US Letter sizes pages and CANNOT be read properly on small screens. PDF was never intended to be an eBook format, and is the worst possible choice of format for an eBook. The only eBook reader which will read A4 PDFs at all well is the iLiad, which is pretty expensive (£400 or so).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
There are UK eReader users; but you need to purchase the devices online rather than in high street shops.

I don't read PDFs myself but the Iliad seems to be generally regarded as the best option for that format.

If you haven't already discovered it, the comparison matrix is a good starting point:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

And there are lots of other threads from people in the same quandary previously

Good luck - hope you find one to suit
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:37 AM   #4
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I have a PRS-500 in the uk, obviously imported

I'd like to find a way to view CBRs well on an ebook reader but I've not been convinced by the one attempt I've made so far
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:50 AM   #5
redbaron101
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are lots of us in the UK who have eBook readers; the most popular ones are the Sony, CyBook Gen3, and iRex iLiad, all of which can be easily bought here in the UK.
Hi Harry, Thanks to all the others that replied too - its a relief to hear people in the uk do use ebook readers - does anyone have a recommended uk online retailer(s) where I can buy or view prices, or ones that have competitive prices, or have received really good customer service from?
Advert
Old 01-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron101 View Post
Hi Harry, Thanks to all the others that replied too - its a relief to hear people in the uk do use ebook readers - does anyone have a recommended uk online retailer(s) where I can buy or view prices, or ones that have competitive prices, or have received really good customer service from?
Overall for ebook purchasing, I've been using Fictionwise for ages with lots of success, they provide good support too for the times I've needed it. They sell in various formats, but all that part depends what reader you end up going for
Old 01-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
redbaron101
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
Overall for ebook purchasing, I've been using Fictionwise for ages with lots of success, they provide good support too for the times I've needed it. They sell in various formats, but all that part depends what reader you end up going for
cheers Simond, but I really wanted recommendations on retailers selling the actual e-reader devices (not the ebooks!).

Surely someone (based in the uk like me) must have bought one recently or could recomend a retailer? (or recommend one to avoid!)

Old 01-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
a recommended uk online retailer(s) where I can buy or view prices, or ones that have competitive prices, or have received really good customer service from?
Do you mean for books, or for the readers? For the Sony Reader, I got mine here at B&H Photo, who ship internationally. Note that there seems to be a general shortage of units at the moment, as there appears to be a backlog of the eInk screens (common to the Sony, the Cybook & the Kimble).
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
redbaron101
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Do you mean for books, or for the readers? For the Sony Reader, I got mine here at B&H Photo, who ship internationally. Note that there seems to be a general shortage of units at the moment, as there appears to be a backlog of the eInk screens (common to the Sony, the Cybook & the Kimble).

yes, I meant the readers - I'm still not sure which one to go for - I have a lot pdf's, and smaller amount of chm/doc, and a lot of cbr's (zipped jpg). Does anyone know if you can use say Adobe acrobat to convert pdf's into pdf's compatible with eReader devices?

btw, gwynevans, did you have to pay extra in customs etc (assuming you bought from b&h- their website says they cannot advise on any import/customs duty) - i was hit once buying some stuff abroad, luckily it wasnt worth much, you get a note from the postie which you take to the local royal mail and pay the duty there.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
simond
Fanatic

Quote:
cheers Simond, but I really wanted recommendations on retailers selling the actual e-reader devices (not the ebooks!).

Surely someone (based in the uk like me) must have bought one recently or could recomend a retailer? (or recommend one to avoid!)

Aah, I just got mine on ebay for $275+p&p back in June, I got stung for about £30 worth of duties when it arrived in the country though which was a pain, you can probably find the Reader cheaper than that on there now.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best way to find out what eReader has for devices sold in the UK is to go to http://www.ereader.com and have a look in the download section.

By the way, eReader is the name for the format and software to read this format. There are no eink devices that will read this format at the present time.

So if you are looking for an eReader, then you are limited to PDAs/Palms/Cells/Windows..
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #12
simond
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The best way to find out what eReader has for devices sold in the UK is to go to http://www.ereader.com and have a look in the download section.

By the way, eReader is the name for the format and software to read this format. There are no eink devices that will read this format at the present time.

So if you are looking for an eReader, then you are limited to PDAs/Palms/Cells/Windows..
I think he's using eReader as a way of saying an ebook reader rather than the eReader format, unfortunately I still have lots of purchased books in eReader format which I now can't see on my Sony Reader, least my Palm still gets used for some reading I guess
Old 01-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now now, Jon, play nicely. You know that he's using "eReader" to mean "eBook Reader", not as the name of a specific eBook format!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Now now, Jon, play nicely. You know that he's using "eReader" to mean "eBook Reader", not as the name of a specific eBook format!
Well, I would have ignored it had the capitalization not been correct for eReader. Oh well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #15
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
btw, gwynevans, did you have to pay extra in customs etc (assuming you bought from b&h- their website says they cannot advise on any import/customs duty)
I did buy from there, having it mailed via USPS. Reportedly, UPS are very thorough about packages going through customs & you can bank on the charge for VAT (17.5% on the cost + postage) but I heard that the readers might be 0% duty. There's then an admin fee on top (£13?). USPS is more variable, in that if your package does get processed it goes to the local ParcelForce depot & they reportedly send you a letter in the regular mail asking for payment (plus their fee) - I'm not sure what the actual costs are, however.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote