Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Mine:Kindle 3(wifi)Sony PRS-300(died)His: Sony Prs-300
All I can say is Wow!!!

I went to Best Buy with every intention to buy the 350 but hubby said just try the 650 and if I didn't like it then return it and keep the Kobo2 I have pre-ordered but all I can say is that it looks like I wont be keeping the Kobo2 when it gets here.

I think someone had mentioned it on the forum but I'll mention it too..The screen clarity is awesome and crisp and even my husband thought there was a "demo" sticker on the screen because it looked so paper-like. I'm absolutely smitten.

I have it charging now after tooling around with it for 5 minutes and I'm figuring out the ADE software too but I think this will be a keeper!!!

I got it in black at Best Buy in Edmonton westside and they had lots in Silver & Black if anyone is interested..they also have a 30-day return policy and cases for the 650 which I'll go and get next week or next payday after this investment.

I want to thank the forum for helping me educating myself more on the world of ereaders. My next one will be a Kindle3 around December so I can cover all my books needs. is all i can say
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #2
Williamlk
Guru
Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Great to see you are so happy with it!

I have heard fantastic things about the Kindle3 as well, everyone seems to love it!
Happy reading!
Williamlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Just curious...why'd you decide against the 350?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Congrats on your new 650 Fiona!! The screen is wonderful, isn't it? I've had my red one since last Sunday and I'm still impressed every time I turn it on. Love the touchscreen interface too.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:51 AM   #5
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
It's fantastic isn't it? I have two other Sony e-readers, but 650 is in a league of its own. The screen quality, speed, design and build - it's all just great.
I also got a new light cover for it, which is completely redesigned as well. The best feature is that the light automatically comes on and off when you take it out and stove it away. At first I thought it was broken, as the slider switch was only working as a dimmer, it wouldn't turn the light off. As soon as you put the light into its slot, it turns off automatically.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
It's fantastic isn't it? I have two other Sony e-readers, but 650 is in a league of its own. The screen quality, speed, design and build - it's all just great.
I also got a new light cover for it, which is completely redesigned as well. The best feature is that the light automatically comes on and off when you take it out and stove it away. At first I thought it was broken, as the slider switch was only working as a dimmer, it wouldn't turn the light off. As soon as you put the light into its slot, it turns off automatically.

i was debating last night whether or not to get the lighted case but looks like I will be sometime today after your review

I used the reader last night for my normal reading in bed routine and it was still pretty fantastic. I could hold it with my left hand only and just use my thumb to turn the page!! So lefty friendly
Old 10-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
terraskye
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Just curious...why'd you decide against the 350?
Mostly I was going to get the 350 to save a bit of money but then I went all weak in the knees at the bigger screen of 650 and figured two weeks of ramen or kraft dinner was worth the extra 50$

I have decided though that if the 650 is too big for my handbags that I'll most likely down the line pick up the 350 just for road/bus trips
Old 10-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
terraskye
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Congrats on your new 650 Fiona!! The screen is wonderful, isn't it? I've had my red one since last Sunday and I'm still impressed every time I turn it on. Love the touchscreen interface too.

dordale
Once it was fully charged last night I had a real hard time putting it down ...I changed the sleep mode picture and started some collections too ..too much fun
Old 10-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
suzymca
suzymca began at the beginning.

Device: astak pocket pro
thank you thank you thank you for mentioning how lefty-friendly it is I kind of gathered it would be, but always nice to 'know'!
suzymca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
terraskye
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzymca View Post
thank you thank you thank you for mentioning how lefty-friendly it is I kind of gathered it would be, but always nice to 'know'!
oh yea that was a BIG selling point for me..I didn't find the kobo lefty friend at all IMO though I do have to say it did have more "empty bottom space" for holding but I'm still very happy with my decision.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzymca View Post
You can also set the preference for which way a swipe turns the page forward. The default is a swipe to the left moves the page forward. It's nice that Sony gives the user an option to use either a left or right swipe to page forward.

I love the touch-screen on my PRS-900. Looking forward to upgrading to the -950 when they come out. Glad to hear the new models have such a great screen and Sony has finally fixed the glare issue with their touchscreens. Sony should market this feature as a major selling point.

BTW I don't have any troubles fitting my ereaders into my medium-sized handbags, even with the larger 7" screen.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #12
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
At the Sony Store yesterday, they had a 900 (clearance item) next to the 350 and 650 on the display shelf - the screen quality difference is immediately obvious!

For the 950, I don't care if it's slightly taller (actually that's a plus in getting an Oberon cover), as long as it isn't wider (to fit in a pocket); I am hoping that it's lighter as the 900 was darned heavy after handling the 650.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
At the Sony Store yesterday, they had a 900 (clearance item) next to the 350 and 650 on the display shelf - the screen quality difference is immediately obvious!

For the 950, I don't care if it's slightly taller (actually that's a plus in getting an Oberon cover), as long as it isn't wider (to fit in a pocket); I am hoping that it's lighter as the 900 was darned heavy after handling the 650.
Thanks for letting me know. I haven't seen any 350/650's on display yet. From side-by-side pictures that I have seen (maybe an engadget review?), the 950 looks much thinner so I anticipate it will be lighter. The 900 is a little heavy, but I don't find it difficult or uncomfortable to hold even over long reading periods. Although lighter is always better! I hear the 350/650 are much lighter compared to the 300/600.

Where can I find out more about Oberon covers? I've seen you mention them in a few postings. Why do you recommend them?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #14
terraskye
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post

Ok now I'm lusting for an Oberon Cover..Just emailed to see if they would be making any of the 650 or if I could special request one...

ETA: Looks like they dont do custom work but since I'm getting a Kindle3 for Xmas I'll just get one then for that haha..Now to find a gorgeous cover for my 650

Last edited by terraskye; 10-02-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #15
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I think a 650 will fit a nook-sized cover (with an inch or so "extra" at each end), if you velcro the back to keep it from slipping (glue'ing the actual velcro pieces to wide tape, to make them removable, if necessary);
it should remain within the corner straps so as to look decent as a work-around. Here's the link to the available designs (that red dragon is snorting "Buy me already!")

http://www.oberondesign.com/nook.php
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote