Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-01-2017, 08:58 AM   #1
lbschenkel
Enthusiast
lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Aura 1, Kindle DXG, Kindle PW2
[Metadata Source Plugin] Kindle (Amazon) High-res Covers

While I was searching for sources of book covers I have stumbled upon the following:
https://www.ereader-palace.com/get-h...kindle-ebooks/

The post describes a way to download high-resolution cover images from Amazon, higher than what you would be able to typically see on the website, using some "secret" Amazon URLs. Note that this only works for Kindle books.

Since I found it very useful and I was using it quite frequently I have decided to develop a Calibre plug-in that does the same thing. In case the book identifiers contain an ASIN at the usual places ("amazon", "asin", "mobi-asin") and that ASIN is for a Kindle book (starts with "B") then this plug-in will download the high-res cover images from the Amazon servers.

Note that until it reaches version 1.0.0, consider this an alpha version and anything can/will change. In case this plug-in proves to be useful for others, and when I'm comfortable with the quality/maturity, I'll publish version 1.0.0.

Version 0.5.1 is now available for testing: uses a new URL for downloading covers.

Version History:
Spoiler:

0.5.1: Uses new URL for downloading covers
0.5.0: Calibre 5 (Python 3) support
0.4.0: Plug-in renamed to "Kindle hi-res covers", no other changes
0.3.0: Searches for ASINs on goodreads.com (does not search on amazon.com)
0.2.0: Searches for ASINs on amazon.com, implementation contributed by "Nicolas F"
0.1.0: Initial implementation

Source is published here: https://github.com/lbschenkel/calibr...n-hires-covers
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kindle hi-res covers (v0.5.1).zip (14.8 KB, 2720 views)

Last edited by lbschenkel; 02-04-2024 at 11:20 AM.
lbschenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can you make it so this plugin works off of the filename and also allows manually inputting the ASIN? Thanks.

Even if the mod(s) cannot be done, the site you got the idea from works well.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-01-2017 at 09:53 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
lbschenkel
Enthusiast
lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you make it so this plugin works off of the filename and also allows manually inputting the ASIN? As it is, this isn't of any use to anyone who does not buy Kindle eBooks.
That's a fair question and I realized that I should have clarified this in my initial post.

Due to the way these 'secret' Amazon URLs work, I must be able to trace a book to a specific Kindle ASIN. I don't know how most users are managing their libraries and how obsessive they are: I personally add ASINs to the equivalent Kindle edition for every non-Kindle book in my library (I usually find them via Goodreads). Since I created this plug-in to scratch my own itch, this approach works well enough for the obsessive-compulsive librarian like me.

I don't get what you meant by "manually inputting an ASIN". You can already manually add it to the identifiers using the keys "amazon" (and any national variant), "asin" or "mobi-asin". Maybe you're thinking that it must be embedded in the book? This plug-in only looks at the metadata, not whatever is inside the book (if the book has an ASIN then Calibre automatically adds a "mobi-asin" when adding it, which will be recognized by the plug-in).

If you don't want to enter Kindle ASINs in your books, I would need to scrape a site like Goodreads and find all Kindle editions for the book and try all the ASINs (scraping Amazon.com does not really work well enough because it does not always show all old Kindle editions that are no longer being sold). This is certainly doable in a technical sense, but it'll introduce quite a lot of additional complexity and moving parts that are prone to break and that will require additional maintenance effort of my part. I'll need to think about that. Either way, I would rather do this in a later stage, after nailing down the "simple" implementation first. I'm still open to ideas/suggestions, though.

Last edited by lbschenkel; 06-01-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Something is wrong here. I edited my post before you quoted it and you didn't quote the correct version.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #5
lbschenkel
Enthusiast

Quote:
Something is wrong here. I edited my post before you quoted it and you didn't quote the correct version.
I clicked "reply" before you edited it (I did it as soon as I got the notification e-mail). Do you want me to change the quote? Your original post didn't bother me at all, in case that was the reason for the editing.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It still has value to be able to reference Amazon

I buy Kindle store books from other places. I bought from Baen (Webscriptions) long before they offerd via Amazon. They still get my custom, even thought it does not save me $$
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Once this plugin becomes part of the plugin list, is there some way to label it such that people will know it only works with Kindle eBooks?
Old 06-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
lbschenkel
Enthusiast

Quote:
Once this plugin becomes part of the plugin list, is there some way to label it such that people will know it only works with Kindle eBooks?
Hopefully yes, that's why I'm asking for feedback so all these things can be sorted out. Maybe the description should start with "Only for books with Kindle ASINs" or something of the sort? Any suggestions?

It's worth restating that the book does not really need to be a Kindle book, it only needs to have a Kindle ASIN present in the identifiers. In case there's none, the plug-in does not even attempt to fetch any cover.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbschenkel View Post
Hopefully yes, that's why I'm asking for feedback so all these things can be sorted out. Maybe the description should start with "Only for books with Kindle ASINs" or something of the sort? Any suggestions?

It's worth restating that the book does not really need to be a Kindle book, it only needs to have a Kindle ASIN present in the identifiers. In case there's none, the plug-in does not even attempt to fetch any cover.
But if it's not a Kindle eBook, it won't have an ASIN. So the plugin only works with Kindle eBooks unless you can get it to try by name if there's no ASIN.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #10
lbschenkel
Enthusiast

Quote:
But if it's not a Kindle eBook, it won't have an ASIN. So the plugin only works with Kindle eBooks unless you can get it to try by name if there's no ASIN.
I'm not sure why you're insisting on this point. I created the plug-in for my own use, first and foremost, and the vast majority of my books on my library are *not* bought from Amazon and I'm using the plug-in every day to fetch covers for all my non-Amazon books. As I explained before, if when you organize the books in your library you add an 'amazon' or 'asin' identifier for the equivalent Kindle edition in the ID field of the Edit Metadata dialog then the plug-in will be able to download the high-resolution covers.

In case you don't buy books from Amazon, nor you organize your library in this way, nor you feel like doing so, then you're not the audience I originally had in mind and the the plug-in will be useless for you, indeed.

Last edited by lbschenkel; 06-01-2017 at 04:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm not saying this was created for your own use only. But, you said "Only for books with Kindle ASINs" as a possible description. What I was saying is that the only eBooks with a Kindle ASIN are Kindle eBooks. ePub do not have a Kindle ASIN.

That description could be confusing for some.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #12
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbschenkel View Post
I'm not sure why you're insisting on this point.
Because he's Jon. You either learn to live with it, or you explode periodically, like me,and leave MR for a couple of weeks to cool down from dealing with such behavior. Welcome to the club.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:32 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

All I'm saying is only Kindle eBooks have an ASIN. ePub do not. That's what I am saying.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:43 PM   #14
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
This is really good! I didn't know it was possible to get a high res cover this easily!

Since I don't set ASIN for the books in my Calibre library I played around and made a version that use the title and author name to search for the ASIN on amazon (I used the amazon metadata plugin from Calibre). I will put it on github.

It will probably need testing, but it's working for me so far!

I also changed the name because since it was too long the cover size wasn't showing.

Thanks for your work

EDIT: This is not the latest version, you should download the one in the first post (kept here for testing for the time being)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Amazon hi-res covers.zip (2.5 KB, 630 views)

Last edited by Nicolas F; 06-07-2017 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Added attachment
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #15
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
Quote:
All I'm saying is only Kindle eBooks have an ASIN. ePub do not. That's what I am saying.
But using the download metadata capability of Calibre your epub can get an ASIN ID (only if it's also sold on Amazon)
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote