Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 AM   #1
setzer
Enthusiast
setzer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.setzer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.setzer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle2, Palm, iPhone
page-template ?

Hello Mr Calibre-Man

1) Sorry for my bad english

2) I want to make a suggestions for a little Add-On for Calibre.
I couldn't do it myself because I'm not included in this program-coding thing but perhaps someone can do this without much effort...
I was trying this page-template xpgt thing in ePub but it won't work like i want it to...
But I think it's not as dificult as it seems.
So i thought about including a page-template-feature for calibre.
e.g. for creating a footer and header section for running headlines or so...

Hope it's not a totally wasteful suggestion

Greetz
setzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'd rather not add a Adobe specific feature. There is a recommended way to do headers and footers (oeb-page-header/footer). Once EPUB viewers start supporting that, I will add support for it to calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'd rather not add a Adobe specific feature. There is a recommended way to do headers and footers (oeb-page-header/footer). Once EPUB viewers start supporting that, I will add support for it to calibre.
You could add support in ebook-viewer right away
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
You could add support in ebook-viewer right away
True, because of the design of ebook-viewer, this is actually somewhat easy to do, but I'm holding out hope that headers and footers and pages and other anachronisms from the pre-digital age will just go away
Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
setzer
Enthusiast
setzer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.setzer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.setzer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle2, Palm, iPhone
ah ok

seems pretty obvious..

but perhaps u have an answer to another question...
perhaps not the right thread...?!

if I use oeb-page-header it is only viewed once at the "beginning of a file" but then there's no header on the other pages... any suggestions?

PLEASE HELP ME
setzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Like I said, at the moment, no ebook viewers support oeb-page-header, some ignore it, some render it only on the first page
Old 07-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
True, because of the design of ebook-viewer, this is actually somewhat easy to do, but I'm holding out hope that headers and footers and pages and other anachronisms from the pre-digital age will just go away
You know, you don't have to implement headers and footers in the standard paper book way. Headers and footers are just pieces of information. They could be displayed in switchable boxes, or the header could be in the window title, and the footer in a status bar, or in a pop-up that appears when needed (headers and footers are not necessarily always active)... Be creative.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Actually if I did implement them they would definitely not be part of the page but in a separate UI like a text field or a popup.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
You know, you don't have to implement headers and footers in the standard paper book way. Headers and footers are just pieces of information.
I kind of disagree. It is information that is always there when you are reading so you always see it. That is for me important since that is the way I learn the title of the book and the authors name if it is a new author. For me it is very important to have the title and author displayed all the time.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

IMO havin header AND footers is totally useless in an ebook. You should have just one, let's call it a header.

I think the header would be most useful with a combination of content: for example: The title and author and the current chapter/section I don't think headers as specified by the book creator are particularly useful. They serve a more useful purpose as navigation/memory aids.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
IMO havin header AND footers is totally useless in an ebook. You should have just one, let's call it a header.

I think the header would be most useful with a combination of content: for example: The title and author and the current chapter/section I don't think headers as specified by the book creator are particularly useful. They serve a more useful purpose as navigation/memory aids.
Seem very reasonable to me. Letting book creator define a header that cannot be overridden by the user seems to be a bad thing.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
The way oeb-page-head and oeb-page-foot are defined, the header could be used to display the chapter title (and/or book title, author, etc.), and the footer could be used for footnotes (just as a convention).

A head or foot element should only be visible/active if its container element is visibe in the (let's call it) main screen. If you put a footnote with the "display: oeb-page-foot" inside the paragraph it applies to, the footnote will be active only when the paragraph is displayed, and the footnote could be delivered as a pop-up, or through a "click here for footer" button, or whatever.

Quote:
I agree, that's how I define the headers in my ePUBs, but the creator can still define what is to go into the header, the exact wording of the "chapter title" (sometimes it's good to have it abbreviated), whether to include other information, such as date, author, part, location (I mean, of the chapter, not of the book), the bold/italic/you name it formatting, etc.

Also, the header could have navigational information that is not actually the title of anything, just the topic of the current text passage. I've just read a paper book that has this information in the margin, an author may want to add this to an ebook too, and the oeb-page-head is an obvious mechanism, if it worked.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i like headers and i wish they worked. i like jellby's suggestions.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:23 PM   #14
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i like headers and i wish they worked. i like jellby's suggestions.
For an interesting use of headers, see some of derrell's .imp posts like The Untamed, The Night Horseman or The Seventh Man (the last two include the source .html)!

As you probably already know, I've succinctly used footers as quick access indices into my .imp conversion of many dictionaries including the Webster's Dictionary 1913.

And, of course, not to mention your own classy use of headers (Title - Author) in your conversion of HarryT's Jane Austen collection to .imp format, like Pride and Prejudice!!

Last edited by nrapallo; 07-27-2009 at 11:27 PM. Reason: typo
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote