Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2018, 09:41 AM   #16
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by moutondocile View Post
I've had both since the Clara's launch and here is how I would compare them.

-The touchscreen is noticeably more responsive on the Clara. I would often have to touch the screen multiple time or a lot harder on the Aura One for it to register the proper input. The gesture to adjust the brightness (which I use a lot) works a lot better on the Clara because of that.

-They run at the same speed.

-The lighting was more even on the Aura One out of the box. My Clara unit had some minor lightbleed which I fixed using the instructions in this video : https://youtu.be/sxqVLnosNTI?t=11m29s (it WILL void your warranty…do it at your own risk). After doing this fix, I couldn’t be happier with the Clara’s screen.

-I never managed to get a good battery life with the Aura One. It was ok for the most part, but it had a couple episodes of battery drain (even with the newer firmwares). The Clara HD is a lot better on this front.
-The lighting temperature is different on both. The Aura One had a much cooler screen compared to my Clara HD, but it could also get quite a bit brighter too.

-The comfortlight feature works well on both. The Aura One can get a lot warmer, an “almost red” kind of orange with the comfortlight cranked all the way up.

Overall, the usability is a bit better on the Clara HD because of the more responsive screen. I would recommend trying both devices to see if you have the same experience as I did.
I have a brand new H2O and I'm having tons of battery problems with it and I'm considering the Clara HD. I love my H2O and when I'm home, the battery problem doesn't matter because I can plug it but it becomes a problem on the go. So I'm considering a Clara HD for travels and every time I'm not home. Also because it's lighter and easier to carry.
Would that be a good option?

Do many of you have two ereaders? Is that a thing ? Or a waste of money? Especially since my h2O is brand new
Lima7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #17
Derf
Connoisseur
Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD / Mac User
I think people have multiple eReaders, but two current models vs having an “old” and a “new” are different scenarios.
Also, if you had a big, expensive Aura One for reading at home, and wanted a cheaper, lighter travel reader like the Clara I could see it making sense, like having a weeekend fun sports car and a commuter daily driver. But to have a Clara and an H20 seems too similar; like having a Honda Accord and a Honda Civic in the garage.
Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #18
CubeDweller
CubeDweller has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Aura
I would love to have two Honda Elements in the garage.
I will have two eReaders soon, the Aura One is due to arrive tomorrow. I have a 2013 Aura, with the SD slot. I think (wishfully) that I'll really like the KA1 and will relegate the Aura to a drawer. It still works great, but that bigger screen on the KA1 is a tough foe. I really can't see using the Aura with that around.

Lima7 - can you return/exchange the H2O? I'd try that rather than trying to live with its issues.
CubeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #19
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Aura
Haha awesome I love your comments.

Yes I could exchange it but I do love the big screen and the water proof feature. I guess I would have to go to the store and try out the Clara HD and see how it feels in my hands!
Lima7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Good E Reader are pretty much the only ones who have done good review comparisons of the Clara wih other e-readers. They will probably eventually get to the Aura One.

edit..Nathan from Theebookreader....just posted a good comparison.
GoodEReader has no idea how to review a Kobo Reader. They make it look awful and they don't know how to show it off. They make it look worse than a Kindle when they review a Kobo. They don't even show off all of the features and they like to spend more time on PDF then they should.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #21
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
I have the same problem at the moment: Clara HD or Aura One?

I only read at home for half to one hour, maybe a bit more sometimes.
I love the big screen of the KA1, but the battery life reports scare me a bit.
Lightning does not matter to me because I will mostly read with lights off.
Waterproofing is also a feature that does not matter to me.

What would you guys recommend?
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalOfArt View Post
I have the same problem at the moment: Clara HD or Aura One?

I only read at home for half to one hour, maybe a bit more sometimes.
I love the big screen of the KA1, but the battery life reports scare me a bit.
Lightning does not matter to me because I will mostly read with lights off.
Waterproofing is also a feature that does not matter to me.

What would you guys recommend?
Using both of them, I would recommend the Aura One for use at home. The only real use I have for the Clara HD is that it fits into more pockets. Given that I am plugging in either them to transfer books fairly often, battery life has only been an issue when I am camping. That's where a solar charger and/or power bank come in handy.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #23
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Using both of them, I would recommend the Aura One for use at home. The only real use I have for the Clara HD is that it fits into more pockets. Given that I am plugging in either them to transfer books fairly often, battery life has only been an issue when I am camping. That's where a solar charger and/or power bank come in handy.
Thanks. So it looks like I am waiting for the Kobo Aura ONE 2nd Edition
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote