Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 04-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #1
cheska99
cheska99 might easily be mistaken for a Texancheska99 might easily be mistaken for a Texancheska99 might easily be mistaken for a Texancheska99 might easily be mistaken for a Texancheska99 might easily be mistaken for a Texancheska99 might easily be mistaken for a Texancheska99 might easily be mistaken for a Texancheska99 might easily be mistaken for a Texancheska99 might easily be mistaken for a Texancheska99 might easily be mistaken for a Texancheska99 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle for Mac or iPhone
Stymied

I need to convert a Kindle book so it can be read through a foreign language learning program called LingQ. If i can get the Kindle book into a .pdf, I should be good to go. However, I need to copy and paste the content from a pdf file (or presumably plain text would also work.)

Using Calibre I've converted the Kindle book to a .pdf. But I can't find a way to open the file in anything but Preview for Mac, and when I try to copy and paste from that file, nothing happens. My main question is: how can I copy the text from the Kindle to .pdf file so I can paste it into LingQ?

Thanks so much for your help.
cheska99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
PDF is pretty much the worst format that you could convert your book to. Why don't you convert it to an .rtf or .docx file with Calibre?
You could then clean up your book with a word processor and save it as a text file.
Or convert it directly to a .txt file, if you're happy with the conversion.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Perhaps the best way is to not convert at all.
  1. Conversion always risks some undesirable alteration
  2. PDF is a beautiful format for its intended use (onscreen emulation of a printed document), but a horrid interchange format. Don't use is as a middle-man.
My suggestion is to open the Kindle/Mobi/AZWn book in calibre's ebook-viewer. You should be able to select the text there, copy, and then paste into you desired target app.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote