Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
Bureaucromancer
Enthusiast
Bureaucromancer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Speculative Fiction Short Story Compilations

The title says it all, I'm looking for any and all good short story compilations. I suppose my taste usually trends more toward sci fi, but I'm mostly interested in reading more short stories in general, so whatever you might suggest would be great.
Bureaucromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:34 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I think I shall point you to the Free SF Online Database, which is a round-up of links to full legal sf/fantasy works posted by their authors/publishers/as samples/promos online.

Always worth reading: just about anything by
  • Ted Chiang (just plain brilliant, highly recommend his Stories of Your Life collection)
  • Nancy Kress (often genetic engineering, also recommend her 3 paper collections)
  • Connie Willis (wide range of marvelous stuff, 3-4 paper vy good collections; Fire Watch collection available as e-book)
  • Judith Tarr (usually historical; well-written & well-researched)
  • Robert J. Sawyer (mix of social and harder sf from a Canadian perspective; tends to go too jokey with the shorter stories, pick one of the award-winning novella-lengthers to start with, has 2 good paper collections)
  • Terry Bisson (They're Made Out of Meat == Best Alien Contact Story EVER; Bears Discover Fire collection in DRM-free MultiFormat @ Fictionwise)
  • Mike Resnick (quality varies, but usually funny to poignant; Kirinyaga collection @ Baen Webscriptions is excellent)
  • James Patrick Kelly (inventive and sometimes disturbing),
and no doubt many more that others will suggest.

Also, I should note that Small Beer Press is offering a few of their authors works under a Creative Commons license, in various e-reader friendly formats contributed by site visitors.

I especially recommend Maureen McHugh's Mothers and Other Monsters, which I went so far as to buy in paperback. Okay, that happened long before I even knew there was an online version. But the point is, her work is good enough for me to special-order my own copies of it.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Off the top of my head,

Dangerous Visions
Again, Dangerous Visions
The Ascent of Wonder
The Hard SF Renaissance

all come to mind. Also look for the many "Year's Best" anthologies. Also, when I was gathering URLs for these, I saw another cover I recognized. I think I remember some good work in this, and they are short-- 50 stories in 288 pages.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
McSweeney’s Mammoth Treasury Of Thrilling Tales edited By Michael Chabon
A Science Fiction Omnibus edited by Brian Aldiss (availoable at Waterstones in the UK)
Tales Before Tolkien edited by Douglas Anderson

You could do a search for well known sci-fi editors like David Hartwell, Martin Greenberg, Gardner Dozois, Ellen Datlow, or Robert Silverberg
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Masterpieces - edited by Orson Scott Card: http://www.amazon.com/Masterpieces-S...3266056&sr=1-1
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Masterpieces - edited by Orson Scott Card: http://www.amazon.com/Masterpieces-S...3266056&sr=1-1
Hmm?

Kindle version : $12.99
Paper version: $10.88

I know it's OT, but every time I see that I get pissed again. Thanks Big 5...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Back on topic:

The two "Dangerous Visions" are also available at Baen in multiple formats for a bit cheaper. Both are good choices.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
abigsmurf
Enthusiast
abigsmurf began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
H P Lovecraft's stories sometimes have a scifi leaning towards them, however they're well worth reading as some of the most atmospheric horror tales of all time.
abigsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote