Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-04-2022, 06:27 PM   #1
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Dark Color Palette - Scrollbar slider CSS

In trying out the Dark Color Palette, I noticed two elements that have low contrast display, in my setting:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap0698 2022-10-04, 19_03_43.png
Views:	98
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	196985

Is there some CSS hack I could apply to them? It seems to me both the search dropdown and the scrollbar slider would be more distinguished if they had a lighter color...

This is what I would like to customise:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...bkit-scrollbar
::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb — the draggable scrolling handle.
Comfy.n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:55 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I suspect that's a Qt on Windows issue, Sigil is the same in dark mode. Not sure if its the same on other platforms.

MS Office had the same problem with Dark, which they fixed; so maybe it's a 'generic' issue.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:35 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It is a Qt limitation.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:45 PM   #4
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bummer :\
Old 10-06-2022, 03:26 AM   #5
Comfy.n

What about this:
https://forum.qt.io/topic/59351/qscr...ine-when-moved
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...t-doesnt-apply

I recall being able to customise some QT or maybe GTK based program on Windows... though only vaguely.
Old 10-06-2022, 03:41 AM   #6
Comfy.n

I just saw there's some environment variable called QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE...

You can also set the style for all Qt applications by setting the QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE environment variable.

Name:	MWSnap0705 2022-10-06, 04_39_37.png
Views:	71
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	197001

In https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qapplication.html
Old 10-06-2022, 03:54 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

stylesheets tend to break things, unless used in a very limited way. you are welcome to play with them if you like, you could probably get something hackish that works for you
Old 10-06-2022, 04:19 AM   #8
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
stylesheets tend to break things, unless used in a very limited way. you are welcome to play with them if you like, you could probably get something hackish that works for you
thanks, I wonder how to play with them in Windows.. (without having to fiddle with calibre main code or build from source hopefully, as I have little knowledge/resources)

I recall vaguely some GTK editor that was very user-friendly as it worked mostly like a wysiwyg editor... But it seems there's no similar Qt alternative.

BTW, in Goldendict, for instance, there's a file called qt-style.css. I'm able to style most objects colors in it, except that ::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb thing...

Wondering too how that QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE would be useful...
Old 10-06-2022, 04:28 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You do need to run calibre from source, but doing so does nto involve any building. https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html

Look in gui2/__init__.py

where QApplication is constructed and pass it the path to stylesheet with -stylesheet.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:22 AM   #10
Comfy.n

Quote:
You do need to run calibre from source, but doing so does nto involve any building. https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html

Look in gui2/__init__.py

where QApplication is constructed and pass it the path to stylesheet with -stylesheet.
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
feels awesome to run Calibre from source!
I'm feeling devilish with my new calibre-dev shortcut, ha.

already can see the new "adjust width" item in context menu:

Name:	MWSnap0709 2022-10-06, 07_00_26.png
Views:	85
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	197002

But still can't barely see that darn scrollbar handle, as I'll have to figure out that pass it the path to stylesheet with -stylesheet bit.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:01 AM   #11
Comfy.n

Quote:
Look in gui2/__init__.py

Well.. I see I need to use this:
https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qapplication....tyleSheet-prop

Now how/where would I insert the path to a stylesheet in gui2/__init__.py?
In trying to guess, I found this in line 1090:

Code:
class Application(QApplication):

shutdown_signal_received = pyqtSignal()
    palette_changed = pyqtSignal()

def __init__(self, args=(), force_calibre_style=False, override_program_name=None, headless=False, color_prefs=gprefs, windows_app_uid=None):
then I tried this:

Code:
[...]color_prefs=gprefs, windows_app_uid=None, stylesheet=c:\x.qss):
Program wouldn't load... Then tried running "calibre.exe -stylesheet c:\x.qss", no good either

Also, looking in https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/stylesheet-syntax.html I'm not sure if the file should have .qss or .css extension. First thing I'd like to test is using a wildcard as in:

Code:
* -webkit-scrollbar-thumb {
  background-color: blue;    /* color of the scroll thumb */
  border-radius: 20px;       /* roundness of the scroll thumb */
  border: 3px solid orange;  /* creates padding around scroll thumb */
}
(reference: https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...css-scrollbars
Old 10-06-2022, 10:38 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just before the call to QApplication.__init__(self, args) you do

args += ['-stylesheet', 'path/to/stylesheet.qss']
Old 10-06-2022, 09:50 PM   #13
Comfy.n

it seems I'm getting warmer!!

Name:	MWSnap0711 2022-10-06, 22_57_34.png
Views:	75
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	197024

Last edited by Comfy.n; 10-06-2022 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:39 AM   #14
Comfy.n

Welp. I managed to make the scrollbar handle more distinctive, but my test.qss does work only when setting Calibre User interface style to System Default, in Look and Feel preferences.

Name:	MWSnap0715 2022-10-07, 01_03_59.png
Views:	59
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	197027

That white on green handle was achieved using this qss styling. (corresponding attached file: test1.qss)

Name:	MWSnap0716 2022-10-07, 01_31_18.png
Views:	64
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	197026

Then, after seeing this thread, I merged the previous scrollbar styling with the custom dark theme mentioned.
That's almost exactly what I needed to achieve, but some elements in this custom dark theme, like padding and border sizes don't fit Calibre UI as perfectly as the built-in dark color palette. (corresponding attached file: test.qss)

Name:	MWSnap0714 2022-10-07, 00_57_52.png
Views:	59
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	197028

If I set Calibre Interface settings in Look and feel to "calibre style", the external qss gets overriden. So I end up in the same situation as before, as seen above. :\

Notes on what I had to to, running Calibre from source:

- location of qss file: one level above the /src directory
- code placement in gui2/__init__.py:

Code:
    def __init__(self, args=(), force_calibre_style=False, override_program_name=None, headless=False, color_prefs=gprefs, windows_app_uid=None):
        if not args:
            args = sys.argv[:1]
        args += ['-stylesheet', 'test.qss']
I also looked in palette.py to see if I could make Calibre not override my qss file when using the built-in dark theme, so that I could get the result seen in the second pic but wasn't able to figure that out.
Attached Files
File Type: zip qss-files.zip (7.0 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Comfy.n; 10-07-2022 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:13 AM   #15
Comfy.n

On another note, there's an undesirable styling of the details scrollbar too, when using that test.qss:

Name:	MWSnap0717 2022-10-07, 03_07_36.png
Views:	62
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	197030

it would be nice to have that one styled independently...