Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2022, 08:01 AM   #106
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkyKoopa View Post
So that could cause other fonts look worse, right? Again, it’s a compromise. I kinda like Bookerly so I will stick with 0.05 for a while.
I don't like slab serif fonts. Bookerly is not as good (IMHO) as Amazon thinks it is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:44 AM   #107
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jospalau View Post
Really interesting post. Why not using KOReader? For me the main advantage is I can sync all the info including reading stats which are amazing among the different devices with different technologies I use to read and I can tweak nearly everything. Is it using kepub format that crucial? Just curious.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
As for me, I've tried KOReader. There are two main reasons I gave up on it. First, I don't particularly like directory-based navigation; second and more important, KOReader was not able to even open some huge omnibuses I have, or was very slow in doing it. Unless the latter has changed since I tried it a couple of years ago, KOReader is not for me. I don't really need syncing, and I can make my books look exactly as I want with the help of Calibre and patches.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:33 AM   #108
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I use KOReader on the Boyue Likebook Mars (similar to meebook P78) for epub because stock ereader is bad for that, though good for PDF. I used KOReader on the Elipsa till there was stable Kobo firmware with PDF crop and page turn. I too don't like directory browsing, the Kindle UI is better and Kobo My Books GUI even better. KOReader can search Calibre Metadata, but I prefer browsing to searching. I'll browse collections and series before Titles, and Titles befor Author. Also I might have a number of books "open" and both Kindle & Kobo work better for that. I also want to browse unread only in added order.

The advantage of KOReader for epub is being able to override broken CSS. But I check a bought book in Calibre Viewer and have automatic conversion rules for various PD sources, so I'm only interested in font size, once I have the line height and margins I want. I remove all line-height from CSS as that's for Web Pages, it's pointless for ereaders and blocks user GUI line height setting.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:55 AM   #109
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkyKoopa View Post
With justification turned on (or off to use the book setting if it is justified, the setting I use to respect the chapter header alignment) in the [Aa] menu, it looks awesome.

I agree. Justification should be set to Auto in the Aa menu otherwise things start looking funky.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:59 AM   #110
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The think you may want to be careful of is what font you use. Some fonts do not work in KePub with the spacing patch. They display, but they do not look good. Slab serif type fonts such a Bookerly do not look good. Rakuten Serif also does not look good. Some others do look good such as ChareInk and Georgia.
For spacing I use webkitTextRendering=geometricPrecision. I don't remember if I use the patch, I don't think I do. At any rate, Bookerly works fine.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 12:51 PM   #111
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I agree. Justification should be set to Auto in the Aa menu otherwise things start looking funky.
I'm not sure of that. I changed the justification using the Aa menu and the chapter header did not change from being centered. So maybe the justification setting has been fixed in 4.34. I'll try it again when I have centered text using <p>.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:58 PM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
For spacing I use webkitTextRendering=geometricPrecision. I don't remember if I use the patch, I don't think I do. At any rate, Bookerly works fine.
I did try that and Bookerly still looks awful.
Old 10-11-2022, 05:13 AM   #113
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did try that and Bookerly still looks awful.
I'm not a fan of Bookerly at all. Never have liked it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 10:57 AM   #114
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
By happenstance, I today came across an article which happens to be an excellent single point of entry for those curious about why ragged right without hyphenation is optimal for reading speed. Linked below. I recommend following the references in the article and using Google Scholar to investigate further.

https://mrwweb.com/no-justification-...on-on-the-web/

Happy reading.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote