Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Thumbs up Free (DRM-Free PDF) Budget & Vegetarian Cookbooks + Charity Kickstarter [DIY Food]

So, Leanne Brown is an expat fellow Canadian currently studying in the States, and as some sort of project for her master's degree in food studies from New York University, she's put together a low-income cookbook project full of recipes designed to help economically disadvantaged persons with limited culinary experience feed themselves healthily for just $4 USD per day in typical US urban not-completely-food-desert areas.

In accordance with this goal, said budget cookbook, Good and Cheap is available as a free downloadable PDF on her website, and there's also a charity Kickstarter project meant to outright donate X number of print versions of the cookbook to low-income persons who could use a physical copy due to lack of Internet/home computer/e-reader, as well as heavily subsidize the distribution of even more copies to non-profit organizations worldwide for $4 apiece (+ shipping) to low-income persons whom they believe will benefit from it.

The DRM-free PDF download of Good and Cheap (and an earlier vegetarian beginner cookbook, From Scratch) can be found directly on Brown's personal website. These are really rather nicely laid out, with pleasant photographs and helpful background information, as well as some very reasonable-looking easy recipes. Including poutine!

Here's the link for the Kickstarter, which ends on Sunday the 13th, and $5 USD will get you a credit in the final book (and technically also a copy of the PDF, which is already being offered totally free), as well as further subsidizing the stretch goals of underwriting additional print copy donations to the needy (currently up to 4,400 donated copies and 17,000 $4-for-non-profit copies, and hoping to reach 4,600/18,000).

Myself, I have literally paid more than the CAD equivalent of that in library overdue fines this season alone, so I figure trying harder to return/renew my books on time and putting the anticipated ensuing funds towards helping those with fewer socioeconomic resources than I is A Good Thing™, so I will be pledging shortly once I've finished posting this. Plus, I get my name in the credits.

Happy reading (and cooking, and eating)!

(But try not to do too much of said cooking and eating of the poutine, which we up here in Canada lovingly refer to as "heart attack in a cup" for reasons which you probably don't want to discover personally.)
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Thank you. It's actually a pretty decent cookery book. Nothing earthshaking, but pleasant everyday food.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
A laudable goal and good pics, but atrocious formatting, if that two-column is enforced for all devices. Even on a tablet, it'll be to small to read without constant zooming and hopeless on any eInk device. Bad enough on my large widescreen laptop.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the PDFs are designed mostly to go to print? These aren't really targeted towards the general e-reader-owning demographic, but they're readable at zoom-to-fit size without squinting on my 13" MacBook.

Anyway, it might be worth suggesting to the author that a consistent single-page variant instead of the current double-page spreads would be a handier and more versatile option for the e-book freebie.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I may drop her an email. I'm sure that's the "to print" version, but I've also seen authors that simply don't read on any digital device and they really don't understand that a single page format opens up their readership tremendously. Readers that simply won't pony up for the paper copy or don't want them cluttering their space (I tossed another big box of paper from the house today, so....)

Then again, I have major publishers drop that same formatting on me for review galleys (thus ensuring I don't read them completely, often, as it is just too much trouble and I can read on my iPad while "watching" TV).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2014, 12:43 AM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard

Well, the post-Kickstarter version of Good and Cheap is now officially out and updated with 20 new recipes (and my name* in the credits!).

Both cookbooks still free (and designed for print/large-screen viewing).

* Okay, actually just my internet handle. But it's close enough.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:47 AM   #7
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
A laudable goal and good pics, but atrocious formatting, if that two-column is enforced for all devices. Even on a tablet, it'll be to small to read without constant zooming and hopeless on any eInk device. Bad enough on my large widescreen laptop.
Hmm . . . the books look just fine on my widescreen (17") laptop.

Good thing, too, because this laptop is for all practical purposes all that I've got right now to read ebooks with.

I'm not computer illiterate, but I'm certainly not an expert, but I wonder if the native resolution, graphics processor, or something might make a difference?
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:47 PM   #8
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Hmm . . . the books look just fine on my widescreen (17") laptop.

Good thing, too, because this laptop is for all practical purposes all that I've got right now to read ebooks with.

I'm not computer illiterate, but I'm certainly not an expert, but I wonder if the native resolution, graphics processor, or something might make a difference?
You must have pretty good eyes. It's too small on my 23 inch widescreen. It's got nothing to do with resolution, it's just ridiculous to force it to a two page view for anything.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cookbook, drm-free ebook, permafreebie