Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-17-2022, 08:03 PM   #1
Samuel alves
Samuel alves began at the beginning.

Device: KT4
Question Block auto updates on Kindle

Hey guys, im just did Jailbreak on my kindle right now and a question pop up in my head, how can i stop the auto updates of my kindle, since they gonna reverse my Jailbreak ? Theres any jailbreak ap who can do this or something even more easy ?

Ps: sorry the english, im brazilian
Samuel alves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:18 AM   #2
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
You just need to keep your Kindle on airplane mode. Don't ever turn it on ever again.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2022, 07:30 AM   #3
Pinarius
Pinarius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 10th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel alves View Post
Hey guys, im just did Jailbreak on my kindle right now and a question pop up in my head, how can i stop the auto updates of my kindle, since they gonna reverse my Jailbreak ? Theres any jailbreak ap who can do this or something even more easy ?

Ps: sorry the english, im brazilian
Use the renametobin plugin. You can find it in the link below:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=208
Pinarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:07 AM   #4
Samuel alves
Samuel alves began at the beginning.

Device: KT4
Thanks, i will try
Samuel alves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:44 AM   #5
btiu
btiu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
You can try the backdoorlock kual plugin too
btiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2022, 02:47 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The universal solution is airplane mode.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:19 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, stops Amazon removing covers and messing up collections too.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 09:39 AM   #8
FelixKrull
Enthusiast
FelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watch

Device: none
Quote:
Unfortunately that is not a fail-safe solution for noobs and careless people.

I accidentally switched off Airplane without noticing. Kindle then seem to have used our free work wifi to update...
FelixKrull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 07:43 PM   #9
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixKrull View Post

I accidentally switched off Airplane without noticing. Kindle then seem to have used our free work wifi to update...
In addition to always keeping my Kindle in airplane mode, I entered an intentionally incorrect password for my WiFi. I don't know if a Kindle will remember an incorrect password that didn't work, but I entered one anyway in case it remembers. And I also programmed my router to deny any connections from my Kindle's MAC address. So I have at least two layers of protection (maybe three) from accidental WiFi access.

A Kindle, or any other device, should not automatically connect to a random WiFi network that it detects, even if that network doesn't have a password.

Do some Kindles have cellular data access? I can't remember. Mine doesn't.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 08:45 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Do some Kindles have cellular data access? I can't remember. Mine doesn't.
Yes, some do. Current models have LTE capability, older models had 3G. The first 2 or 3 generations were 3G only with no wifi capability.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 12:49 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
All the 3G and LTE models compatible in Europe seem to also support GSM/EDGE, which is incompatible to USA 2G (CDMA-1) apart from the bands used. The European 2G is maintained in many countries because electricity meters, water meters, traffic lights, burglar alarms and other SCADA applications use it. It's more reliable than 3G, though slower, because there is no cell size breathing.
The Oasis 2 / gen9 might only do USA LTE, but does do 3G & Edge/GSM in Ireland. The DXG certainly still does 3G & Edge/GSM here in Ireland and was bought by me from USA as an "International" product online to Ireland Oct 2013.
"3G Works Globally [Includes USB Cable for Charging. For International Shipment]"
Biggest waste of $319.78. I still have it but replaced the dead battery early this year, or end of last year.

Last edited by Quoth; 10-21-2022 at 12:51 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:58 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixKrull View Post

I've not tried, so I don't know how easy or if it's possible, but you could try having your Kindle forget all of the WiFi networks it knows of.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 11:52 AM   #13
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
I've not tried, so I don't know how easy or if it's possible, but you could try having your Kindle forget all of the WiFi networks it knows of.
If I remember correctly, you have to first TURN ON WiFi before you can delete remembered WiFi passwords. So do this out in the middle of nowhere, where there is no known WiFi network for it to connect to while you're doing the deleting. Or do it in your home where it knows the WiFi network, but unplug the WAN cable from your WiFi router first so while it may connect to the router for a brief period (until you delete the remembered password), it cannot connect to the internet beyond.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 01:49 AM   #14
FelixKrull
Enthusiast
FelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watchFelixKrull is clearly one to watch

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
If I remember correctly, you have to first TURN ON WiFi before you can delete remembered WiFi passwords. So do this out in the middle of nowhere, where there is no known WiFi network for it to connect to while you're doing the deleting. Or do it in your home where it knows the WiFi network, but unplug the WAN cable from your WiFi router first so while it may connect to the router for a brief period (until you delete the remembered password), it cannot connect to the internet beyond.
Yes I should have thought about that.

Now it is too late anyways, Amazon again stripped functions which I used regularily.
FelixKrull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 02:48 AM   #15
LostOnTheLine
Connoisseur
LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (PW1|PW3|PW4), Kindle Voyage
There should be an access location that it tries to connect to. If you use any kind of network/DNS ad-blocker you should be able to add the site it checks for updates to that list. We just need to know what those sites are. If you did that then you could probably still use the store, if for some reason you want to, &, the important one for me, wiki searches & word lookups.

Does anyone know what sites it gets updates from?
LostOnTheLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle ; update ;