Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2022, 07:01 PM   #91
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPaul View Post
How do they know of those improvements of nobody tells them?
A bit of logic says that the person(s) maintaining the various Kobo plugins that create kepub are well aware of Jackie's changes.

But if you'd like to draw their attention you can always post in the respective plugins threads here on MR. Kobo Touch Extended, Kobo Utilities, and Kepub Output are the three that are generally used.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:24 PM   #92
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPaul View Post
How do they know of those improvements of nobody tells them?
If you are feeling so enthused, feel free to post in the KoboTouch Extended Driver and Kepub Output plugin forums. Contrary to @mglitch's suggestion, do not post in the Kobo Utilities thread as the Kobo Utilities do not have anything to do with converting epub to kepub.

As for "improvements", there are almost always tradeoffs. I know that I prefer epub to kepub for most ebooks simply due to the glitches that the kepub renderer exhibits.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2022, 10:46 PM   #93
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm late back to this thread but most of what I would have replied has already been said by @MGlitch and @DNSB.

I was very late to deciding to try sideloaded kepubs via KTE so I didn't follow the early discussions in its main thread. However, I'm pretty sure KTE's original aim was to try to create kepubs with internals exactly like what you'd get if you'd purchased from the Kobo store. I think it succeeded at this pretty well.

Over time tinkerers like me investigate what value each of the several "kepubification" changes actually offer. Is it actually necessary? Can it be improved without breaking something else? For kobospans the answers are 'Yes' and a more cautious 'Yes for my books on my Kobos'. I edit all my books to some fairly strict standards and I don't use annotations so I'm not a typical user. Will users who just Buy-Sideload-Read (aka the majority) see enough improvement to make it worth the KTE devs' time to implement/support the change?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:20 PM   #94
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm late back to this thread but most of what I would have replied has already been said by @MGlitch and @DNSB.

I was very late to deciding to try sideloaded kepubs via KTE so I didn't follow the early discussions in its main thread. However, I'm pretty sure KTE's original aim was to try to create kepubs with internals exactly like what you'd get if you'd purchased from the Kobo store. I think it succeeded at this pretty well.
Yes, that was one of the original aims of the extended driver. As we did not really know what was happening, it was thought best to duplicate what came from the store. Especially if there were any problems, it could be because we did not follow the (unpublished) kepub standards.
Quote:
Over time tinkerers like me investigate what value each of the several "kepubification" changes actually offer. Is it actually necessary? Can it be improved without breaking something else? For kobospans the answers are 'Yes' and a more cautious 'Yes for my books on my Kobos'. I edit all my books to some fairly strict standards and I don't use annotations so I'm not a typical user. Will users who just Buy-Sideload-Read (aka the majority) see enough improvement to make it worth the KTE devs' time to implement/support the change?
And that's were we stand. I have a copy of @jackie_w code and am thinking about it when I have time (@jackie_w: Sorry, I haven't gotten back to you.). I have to decide how practical it is to offer both versions of the kepubification. I will not be removing the current version that matches what Kobo does. If I do anything, it will be adding the single-KoboSpan per paragraph method as an option. Then it will be up to the actual owner of the driver to accept or not.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:20 PM   #95
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah my apologies I’d thought Kobo Utilities also offered conversion.

Posting in that thread would be a mistake as it doesn’t offer it.
Advert
Old 06-06-2022, 11:45 PM   #96
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Aside from all the hyphenation and left align stuff, back to your original question ...

Have you experimented with adding this to your CSS file for kepubs?:
Code:
word-spacing: -0.05em;
trying different values for the red bit.

If you find it helps, both calibre drivers (KoboTouch, KoboTouchExtended) already make it easy to auto-add during the calibre send-to-device process.

In fact, it may even be suitable as a new kobopatch if enough users think it does help kepub word-spacing.

Here's a comparison of what it looks like without/with the word-spacing tweak on my KA1:

thanks for this.

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 06-06-2022 at 11:50 PM.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:02 PM   #97
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I think more people ought to try ragged right (left-aligned) KEPUBs with optimizeLegibility enabled. In Calibre's common options for conversion I've had the justification fixed to left align since I started using it to convert EPUBs for my Kobo. You should find it easier to read long-form text this way, since the consistent inter-word spacing results in more consistent saccades.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:40 PM   #98
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
I think more people ought to try ragged right (left-aligned) KEPUBs with optimizeLegibility enabled. In Calibre's common options for conversion I've had the justification fixed to left align since I started using it to convert EPUBs for my Kobo. You should find it easier to read long-form text this way, since the consistent inter-word spacing results in more consistent saccades.
No way. I can live without kerning and ligatures. I cannot live with left-aligned text on a (relatively) small screen of an eink reader.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:47 AM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
Using my Hyphenation dictionary along with the spacing patch and optimizeLegibility works better then I expected when fully justified. So I see no reason for left justify.

The better Hyphenation dictionaries.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252405
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:46 AM   #100
MGlitch
Wizard

One reason I love my Sage is the larger screen why would I give up screen real estate by going ragged right? Especially when with patches and Jon’s hyphenation dictionary I get such a wonderful result.
Old 06-08-2022, 06:49 AM   #101
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Using my Hyphenation dictionary along with the spacing patch and optimizeLegibility works better then I expected when fully justified. So I see no reason for left justify.

The better Hyphenation dictionaries.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252405
Can this be uninstalled for whatever reason?
Old 06-08-2022, 08:05 AM   #102
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Can this be uninstalled for whatever reason?
It’d be uninstalled by updating the firmware, even reapplying the current update would do it.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:26 AM   #103
Deobulakenyo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
It’d be uninstalled by updating the firmware, even reapplying the current update would do it.
Thank you.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:52 PM   #104
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have actually come to prefer left-aligned text most of the time. And it does not increase book length compared to justified text.
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:05 PM   #105
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
One reason I love my Sage is the larger screen why would I give up screen real estate by going ragged right? Especially when with patches and Jon’s hyphenation dictionary I get such a wonderful result.
For the most part, I prefer the even word spacing of left justified to the variable word spacing of fully justified. I've read books in both and the difference in words on the page are not enough to make the lack of micro-justication bearable.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote