Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2022, 05:59 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
According to my wife, too many. Perhaps I could claim that reading text files on a CP/M computer back in the 70's and moving through a series of other computers over the years qualified as using an ereader? Then there was a Palm Pilot, owning about 3 or 4 ereaders during the 2000's. Then going through most of the Kobo lineup plus a few other bits and bobs from other manufacturers through the 2010's.

Current in use devices are Kobo's Sage, Forma and Clara HD models, an IPad Pro, my laptop and a Lenovo M8 FHD android tablet. The last 3 are basically used for PDFs where the larger the screen the better. I also have a Kindle Paperwhite which is most useful for it's serial number and causing me to wonder why I don't get all those improvements with it's new firmware revisions.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 06:01 PM   #32
fordprefect
fordprefect began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
Kobo touch, 2012
B & N Nook, 2018(didn't like much about it but the closeout price)
Kobo Clara, 2021

Also, @Deskisamess, love your avatar
fordprefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2022, 10:17 PM   #33
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
2010 Kindle Keyboard
2011 Nook Simple Touch
2011 Kindle 4
2014 Kindle 7
2014 Voyage
2016 Kindle 8
2019 Kindle 10
2022 Signature

Last edited by Tarana; 09-28-2022 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Addition to list
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:37 AM   #34
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
2012: cheap ass tablet
2012: Kobo Touch
2013: Kobo Glo
2016: Kobo Aura One (Would still be in use if it wasn't for the buttons)
2021: Kobo Forma (didn't like on/of/sleep-button at all)
2021: Kobo Sage
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:28 AM   #35
Joliet Jake
Zealot
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
2014: Kobo Aura (HD?). Got tired of the lack of buttons.
2016: Nook Simple Touch, used. Developed battery problems.
2017: Ditto. And ditto.
2018: Kobo Forma. My favorite yet, which I bought as soon as it was available. I might upgrade to a Sage mainly because of the USB-C port (my Forma has random problems communicating with the computer).
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2022, 08:57 AM   #36
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’m not going to list all my eink readers; suffice to say I bought a bunch from 2010 to 2016. In thinking about them and that I’ve managed to resist since, the point for me is that I was willing to upgrade for significant improvements* in terms of front light, screen size (both smaller and larger) and resolution, but that I hit a wall with the Aura One. The minimal changes since don’t justify the outlay, for me. So essentially in the 12 years I’ve been reading with eink, the first six years saw huge improvements in product but in the six year since then, not really. Again, for me. So as I’ve said elsewhere, until my Aura One goes paws up or I see a deal I can’t resist (and deals seem a lot thinner on the ground than in the past) I don’t see a change in my status.

*Warm light and waterproofing weren’t important to me; nice but not compelling.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:02 AM   #37
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just the E-ink ones:

Bookeen Cybook Gen3
BeBook One
Kindle DXG (2x)
Kobo Aura HD
Kobo H2O (2x)
Kobo Aura ONE
Kobo Forma
Kobo Sage

Left one of the DXGs on the train (in an Oberon cover that cost more than a Kindle Basic at the time. That one hurt...). One of the H2Os got nicked.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:20 AM   #38
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've delved. I'm fascinated to discover that I've been reading ebooks on hand-held devices for 20 years now!
I'm at 22+ years now. My first was a very early Palm Vx (so early that it still said 'V' on it, although it was a Vx). After a slew of early smartphones and Internet Tablets (remember those?) bought my first dedicated E-ink reader (a Bookeen Cybook Gen3) in 2007 and never looked back.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 04:14 PM   #39
brown.ml
brown.ml began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD and Forma
[QUOTE=Odyssee;4200437]Looking back, my history of e-reader usage is quite extensive. I wonder how yours looks like.

2011: Nook Color - Given Away
2012: iPad 2 using Marvin and Calibre - given away
2014: iPad 3 using Marvin and Calibre - given away
2016: iPad 4 using Marvin and Calibre - given away
2018: Kobo Clara HD - still have
2019: Kobo Forma - given away
2019: Kobo Libra H2O - still have
2021: Kindle (10th Gen) Thought I could download Kindle books via USB to decrypt them. Wrong, still stuck with KCR.
2022: Kobo Sage - still have
brown.ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 06:28 AM   #40
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
My first (non e-ink) reading screen was a handheld tracker in 2005 that could change background colour and text size and was brilliant for commuting. Cannot remember its name, but it was ahead of its time as my phone at the time was a tiny nokia. I could upload opensource maps and trace my progress on long walks; then take a break to read.

Edited - Sony PRS-300 2010
Pink, it had a low res screen that needed good lighting to read; I used to read fanfic in LRF and epub so I learned the skills to manage a library. Calibre and mobileread were essential then as now to enjoy tweaking the reader.

Kindle Keyboard 3rd gen 2011
Still love this for reading recipes and anything that I have annotated over the years. I love the hardware buttons for advancing the page, and feel aggrieved that this is a feature that costs so much more now.

Kindle Paperwhite 10th gen 2019
I bought this thinking that the backlight and fast refresh would be better. The screen quality is whiter, though the print less distinct; I never know when a touch will propel me 10 pages + ahead rather than just one page; and the refresh delay is still an issue (though not every page).

iPhone SE 2020
This is my favourite reader just for convenience.

Last edited by Patricia1066; 02-27-2022 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Forgot about Sony!
Patricia1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:36 AM   #41
julesy
hedgehogs love to read
julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.julesy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Kobo H2O, Samsung Galaxy Tab A7
Sony PRS-550 - my very first ereader, which did well but then froze up and became unrecoverable.

Sony PRS-950 - Loved this one. Only wished it had lighting capability.

Kobo H2O Aura (original edition) - My favorite, still going strong after 6+ years. I have an SD card in it but have not put any books on the card as my main memory is only at 60% capacity.

Pocketbook Touch HD3 - I really don't like this ereader as the navigation is poor and hesitates a LOT (with less than 10 small books on it). I use it exclusively for bubble bath time reading.

My next ereader (when/if I need another one) will definitely be another Kobo.

Julesy
julesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 11:13 AM   #42
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Newton (can't remember which one - maybe a 2000?)
Palm (III?)
Original iPad
iPad 4
iPad Mini 4
Kobo Touch
Kobo Glo
Kobo Aura
Kobo H2O
Kobo H2O2
Kobo Libra 2
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 11:52 AM   #43
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Kobo Touch
Kobo Aura HD
2nd Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura H2O (1st Edition)
Can't remember the model 10" Tablet
Lenovo Tab 2 A10-F70 10"
Blackberry Playbook 64GB
Lenovo Tab M10 FHD
Lenovo Tab M8 HD

Of all of those, I still have the Aura H2O, the Tab M10 FHD & the Tab M8 HD. I use the Kobo for novels and the Lenovos for PDFs. I also use the Tab M10 FHD for comic books from Marvel Unlimited.

This thread has reminded me that my "Device" section in my profile is out of date. Off I go to correct that...

Last edited by ottdmk; 03-06-2022 at 11:54 AM.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:03 AM   #44
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Only two.

My Kobo Aura HD I opened on December 25, 2013.

My Kobo Libra H2O I opened on December 18, 2021. I would've waited a few more days, but my Aura HD crapped itself again and I didn't want to do another factory reset when I had a perfectly good Kobo sitting in a box under the tree.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-09-2022 at 01:07 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:58 PM   #45
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Geez,
Sony PRS 505
Sony PRS 350
Sony PRS 650
Sony PRS 950
Probably a couple other Sonys in there somewhere
Kobo Auro One

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote