Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-10-2022, 02:36 PM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Keep in mind, these are kid's books.
And an American kid wouldn’t be able to figure out that “mum” is Britspeak for “mom”?

And why are British kids assumed to be able to cope with a reference to a philospher’s stone while Yank kids can’t? Worse, when a philospher’s stone is a thing and a sorceror’s stone is not. So the British kid who looks up “philospher’s stone” gets a definition, while the American kid who looks up “sorceror’s stone” gets squat.

Again, just how dumb do they think we are?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:25 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The first book was particularly poorly “translated” into American, starting with the title! Referring to Lily as Harry’s “mom” sticks in my mind.

I really, really dislike it when publishers think they have to dumb things down for us dumb Yanks. We’re not quite so stupid as all that. What ever happened to figuring out things from context or, I dunno, looking things up? Might even be good for the kids at that.
I agree. There's no need to "translate" UK English or US English.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2022, 03:27 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
It would have been nice if publishers had put notes in the beginning or end of a book to explain some of this stuff to the Yanks! That would be better than changing the title and word use of the book.
That's where footnotes would have come in handy.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:32 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
And an American kid wouldn’t be able to figure out that “mum” is Britspeak for “mom”?

And why are British kids assumed to be able to cope with a reference to a philospher’s stone while Yank kids can’t? Worse, when a philospher’s stone is a thing and a sorceror’s stone is not. So the British kid who looks up “philospher’s stone” gets a definition, while the American kid who looks up “sorceror’s stone” gets squat.

But would an American kid back then understand that a subordinate calling your female DCI "mum" know that she's not that person's mother?

There's a lot of strange things in UK English. But I do think leaving UK English alone and using footnotes would be the best way to do it.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:47 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Eh! (I once made a custom BIOS for our Canadian office development system. Replaced 'What?" with "Eh? " . Took them MONTHS to notice )
...love it
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2022, 04:12 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Even when I purchased my (only) book on Pottermore, they would not let me purchase the UK English edition, but all other languages were available. Darn regional restrictions!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:00 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Kids might have a harder time with romper or torch or any of a myriad of other little things.

George Bernard Shaw: “England and America are two countries separated by the same language!”

Quote:
To be honest, I'd assumed the philospher’s stone was just more common lore in the UK than in the US. I remember reading that Scholastic was nervous that kids would think it was a book about philosophy.

Quote:
TLC (formerly The Learning Channel) is a successful channel running such shows as My 600 Pound Life, 90 Day Fiancé and Dr. Pimple Popper.

Bravo (which used the arts and entertainment network) runs The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City and whatever other mush they show now.

In words not original to me: “nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.”
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:17 PM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But would an American kid back then understand that a subordinate calling your female DCI "mum" know that she's not that person's mother?
Not "mum" but "ma'am", the equivalent of "sir". It's pronounced almost but not quite like "mum". I can hear the difference.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:37 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
TLC (formerly The Learning Channel) is a successful channel running such shows as My 600 Pound Life, 90 Day Fiancé and Dr. Pimple Popper.

Bravo (which used the arts and entertainment network) runs The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City and whatever other mush they show now.

In words not original to me: “nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.”
Even worse, TLC shows Honey Boo Boo.

But the UK shows shows like Love Island, Naked Attraction, Dr. Pimple Popper, My Big Fat Fabulous Life, My 600-lb Life, Some of the Real Housewife shows,
The Only Way Is Essex (UJK's answer to Jersey Shores), Kardashian shows, Don't Hate the Playaz, and other garbage.

So judging the US by the crap shown on TV doesn't work because the UK has plenty of crap on TV.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:02 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Not "mum" but "ma'am", the equivalent of "sir". It's pronounced almost but not quite like "mum". I can hear the difference.
I've seen the show Vera and it sounds just like mum.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:22 AM   #26
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Eh! (I once made a custom BIOS for our Canadian office development system. Replaced 'What?" with "Eh? " . Took them MONTHS to notice )
You do realize that's an eastern Canadianism. I don't think I've heard it here more than once every couple of months, if that.

Quote:
I have no problem with adding end notes or a glossary for the education of non-native dialect speakers.
Certainly, though in an eBook world, you just highlight it and Kindle will tell you.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:24 AM   #27
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Really, issybird, that is WAY too easy a straight line!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:16 AM   #28
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
"Ma'am" is used in the Southern United States. We pronounce it maa am. We tend to use it when talking to adult women. I can remember using it with women who got upset because they weren't old enough to be called "ma'am".
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 01:25 PM   #29
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
"Ma'am" is used in the Southern United States. We pronounce it maa am. We tend to use it when talking to adult women. I can remember using it with women who got upset because they weren't old enough to be called "ma'am".
Apache
If in doubt, probably better to use "miss"

"Ma'am" definitely does not sound like "mum" in my part of the southern US. The vowel sound in "Ma'am" is like "dam" or "ram".
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 01:26 PM   #30
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post

They're also on my Amazon Content and Devices. If I go to the page for one of the books, it says "You already borrowed this item. Read anytime on your Kindle apps and devices."

On the Amazon page, there is also a "Buy at Pottermore" link. Whoops.
I'd worry, in your position....

When you go to the rest of your Amazon Content and devices , its does not say " you already borrowed this item" - it surely says you purchased it i.e. "own " it,
unless is from Prime lending, of Kindle unlimited, then its "borrowed"

seems that amazon are running some custom lending library setup for pottermore and your copy is on indefinite loan from that library But. If pottermore quit paying for the library service, amazon could shutter it, and next time you go on line the kindle book expires.

update- I checked my own content & devices page, but its all changed since I last visited. I used to see a long text based list of titles, but now I have to choose from purchases, samples, borrows in a drop down., then its all in cover images..

e.g.
Digital Content
View:
Books
Borrows
Sort by:

is your pottermore book in "purchases", or "borrows."
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote