Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-28-2021, 01:54 PM   #16
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I only do it (skip to the end) when I've already decided the book is a "did not finish", and then only if/when I have a vague interest in knowing if the book really is as predictable as it seems to be. (The answer is pretty much always yes.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I do this sometimes, too. Or else I read some of the one- and two-star reviews at Goodreads, to see if others agree with me and find out what happened. Otherwise, I’m a total spoiler phobe.
I do this too. Of course those seem to be the times I can't find spoilers on Goodreads.....
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:01 AM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
It would be a very rare fiction or plot-driven nonfiction book that would cause me to skip ahead. That said, sometimes when I've finished a book I wished I had done the skipping.

On the other hand, I have a very hard time not reading something when I see the words in the book. This was more of a problem with pbooks (that I rarely read now) because they sometimes somehow happen to open in the course of things on another page or more specifically, god forbid, the end, and if the words are there in front of me I'd end up reading enough (too many) of them before I could help myself. This was a recurring motif when I was young and I tried to be careful to never let the book open to a later page, lol.

But I'm still not out of the woods, not even with age and ebooks, because this also lends to the associated though lesser problem, when I'm really into a book or nearing the end, of absorbing the end of a page when I get to it before properly reading the upper parts. My eyes just won't behave! Even if I'm focusing on the top of the page my peripheral vision will somehow pick up the bottom if my mind's in the mood of 'really want to know what's going to happen/how it ends'. If I remember in time, something I do to combat this whenever that mood strikes is to use a piece of paper or my hand or whatnot to physically cover the page and move it down line by line so that I can't let my eyes spoil myself.

And don't even get me started on chapters with vaguely (or explicitly) spoilerish titles that are all listed in the front of a book. Naively opening a new book, my naughty eyes will have read them before I can get the page turned past.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2021, 09:43 AM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post

And don't even get me started on chapters with vaguely (or explicitly) spoilerish titles that are all listed in the front of a book. Naively opening a new book, my naughty eyes will have read them before I can get the page turned past.
Victorian novels can be particularly egregious in this respect; there’s no need to read the chapter for plot at all once you’ve plowed through the chapter title.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:58 PM   #19
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Or even better, when the plot seems just about resolved but you're only 2/3 through the book.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:15 PM   #20
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
It would be a very rare fiction or plot-driven nonfiction book that would cause me to skip ahead. That said, sometimes when I've finished a book I wished I had done the skipping.

On the other hand, I have a very hard time not reading something when I see the words in the book. This was more of a problem with pbooks (that I rarely read now) because they sometimes somehow happen to open in the course of things on another page or more specifically, god forbid, the end, and if the words are there in front of me I'd end up reading enough (too many) of them before I could help myself. This was a recurring motif when I was young and I tried to be careful to never let the book open to a later page, lol.

But I'm still not out of the woods, not even with age and ebooks, because this also lends to the associated though lesser problem, when I'm really into a book or nearing the end, of absorbing the end of a page when I get to it before properly reading the upper parts. My eyes just won't behave! Even if I'm focusing on the top of the page my peripheral vision will somehow pick up the bottom if my mind's in the mood of 'really want to know what's going to happen/how it ends'. If I remember in time, something I do to combat this whenever that mood strikes is to use a piece of paper or my hand or whatnot to physically cover the page and move it down line by line so that I can't let my eyes spoil myself.

I am similar but not quite as bad.

I also have to be careful when editing books or the text/story just sucks me in and I stop editing and start reading.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2021, 06:45 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Or even better, when the plot seems just about resolved but you're only 2/3 through the book.
That would be Battlefield Earth except the first place where it could have ended was less then 2/3rds in. It has a number of places it could have ended but didn't. Awful book though.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:46 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One advantage of eBooks is you don't need multiple bookcases to store your eBooks.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:44 AM   #23
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Another point is that you don't need to turn on a bright light to read which might disturb others.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:27 AM   #24
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I find the main advantage of ebooks is that my children can't easy lose or accidently damage them.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:34 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
I find the main advantage of ebooks is that my children can't easy lose or accidently damage them.
What about the device used for reading the eBooks? Can they accidentally damage or lose it?
Old 02-05-2021, 10:29 AM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What about the device used for reading the eBooks? Can they accidentally damage or lose it?
Absolutely, which is why backups and DRM removal is important. It's obscene to lock a purchased ebook to one device or even one account as people can be banned from Amazon for too many returns or other reasons and be unable to register a new device without an alternate identity. And lose so called Cloud Library access.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #27
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, they could and then they would have to wait until they've earned the money to replace it. So far not one device has been permanently lost and with proper covers all devices have had acceptable lifespans.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:20 PM   #28
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
Yes, they could and then they would have to wait until they've earned the money to replace it. So far not one device has been permanently lost and with proper covers all devices have had acceptable lifespans.
i am 46 and whenever i purchase a new reader its not allowed out of its box (except for first set up) until i have suitable case for it am clumsy. Not killed one yet
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
i am 46 and whenever i purchase a new reader its not allowed out of its box (except for first set up) until i have suitable case for it am clumsy. Not killed one yet
I did the same thing when I bought my H2O.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:27 PM   #30
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I have a kindle keyboard that goes everywhere with me in my bookbag that I use instead of a purse. It is kept in a quilted oven mitt while in the bag and I've never used a case. In all the years I've carried it around along with lunches, books, groceries in the same bag it isn't even scratched.

As for why I love ebooks? before I got my reader I had 40 carboard boxes of paperbacks and 4 bookcases crammed full cluttering up my apartment. Books stacked everywhere there was space and there wasn't much in my apartment.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote