Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-20-2020, 05:20 PM   #46
abhisheknandi
abhisheknandi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5.12.4 ( Basic model)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlow&Steady View Post
I wondered if you put on your Kindle long enough in airplane mode that the covers won't disappear. Has anyone tried this? And if so how long did it take?
I tried that but didn't work. I loaded books via calibre and kept in on airplane mode for 25 hours. But the moment I turned ON WIFI, it disappeared.
One more observation...
It happpens with my most 'recent' set of books that I've side loaded. Eg the covers of the books loaded during the last 3/4 iterations disappear(most of them). I've old books that are sideloaded but their covers are intact (thankfully!)
Logged a complain with Amazon..hope they remove this 'feature' that nobody asked for

Stay safe all
abhisheknandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:27 PM   #47
Fivepoints
Fivepoints began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheknandi View Post
One more observation...
It happpens with my most 'recent' set of books that I've side loaded. Eg the covers of the books loaded during the last 3/4 iterations disappear(most of them). I've old books that are sideloaded but their covers are intact (thankfully!)

Stay safe all
Hello. I registered after lurking forever just to post the same as above. My older sideloaded books are just fine. It is only books sideloaded in the last five days which are giving me a problem. I am sideloading via the latest Calibre version.

Just in case that gives someone some information to narrow down how to fix this.
Fivepoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2020, 10:02 PM   #48
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur
MrSlow&Steady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Overpriced compared to what? A Libra H2O compared to a Oasis 2?
Never mind. We're getting off topic.
MrSlow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:03 PM   #49
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
I tried that but didn't work. I loaded books via calibre and kept in on airplane mode for 25 hours. But the moment I turned ON WIFI, it disappeared.
One more observation...
Logged a complain with Amazon..hope they remove this 'feature' that nobody asked for

Stay safe all
Oh dear.

This is far from assuring. Thanks...
Old 05-20-2020, 11:10 PM   #50
abhisheknandi

Quote:
Oh dear.

This is far from assuring. Thanks...
if we can find out why it is NOT happening with all the 'recent' books, maybe we will get more clarity.

I tried comparing a recent 'good vs bad book' and even copied the metadata of good book to the bad book but still it didn't work.
Someone got the source code of the kindle job that updates the book cover?
Advert
Old 05-20-2020, 11:17 PM   #51
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It seems fairly clear that the kindle firmware tries to update covers for "newly" uploaded books, exactly once. Before the change to amazon's servers, the firmware would do it, and fail and keep the calibre generated thumbnail. After the update, it does it and replaces the thumbnail with its spurious "no cover available" image.

So this will affect any book that the firmware thinks is "newly added" on a date after the amazon server was changed.

Assuming amazon refuses to fix their firmware/servers to do the sensible thing, the best possible workaround seems to be for calibre to restore changed thumbnails on subsequent reconnects. This means to send a book to the kindle, with cover, you have to send, disconnect, wait for the Kindle to destroy the cover, then re-connect and have calibre restore the cover.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:42 PM   #52
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Perhaps something like the KoboUtilities Upload covers for selected books option would be usable.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:40 AM   #53
abhisheknandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It seems fairly clear that the kindle firmware tries to update covers for "newly" uploaded books, exactly once. Before the change to amazon's servers, the firmware would do it, and fail and keep the calibre generated thumbnail. After the update, it does it and replaces the thumbnail with its spurious "no cover available" image.

So this will affect any book that the firmware thinks is "newly added" on a date after the amazon server was changed.

Assuming amazon refuses to fix their firmware/servers to do the sensible thing, the best possible workaround seems to be for calibre to restore changed thumbnails on subsequent reconnects. This means to send a book to the kindle, with cover, you have to send, disconnect, wait for the Kindle to destroy the cover, then re-connect and have calibre restore the cover.
Hi Kovid,
How can Calibre restore the cover? I mean is there any button or option in calibre? It doesn't happen automatically I believe as I've connected to Calibre few times in the last week.

Kindly share the steps.
Also one small correction. It doesn't remove the covers for all 'new' books.

Last edited by abhisheknandi; 05-21-2020 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Added one point
Old 05-21-2020, 01:05 AM   #54
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It doesn't, this is a description of a future workaround.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:20 AM   #55
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Would setting last modified and date created (on thumbnail file) to a past date make any difference?
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:01 AM   #56
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I doubt the kindle considers only timestamps when deciding a file is new, but it should be easy to test, just change the timestamps yourself for the newly sent files before ejecting the kindle and see if it works.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Also I noticed the readers are overpriced. Also, they have no 32 GB readers anymore FML
Kobo Readers cost less then Kindles. So how are Kobo's overpriced if Kindles are not?

The Forma has a 32GB model, but it is out-of-stock.

Kobo prices from Walmart. Kindle prices are with special offers. Without special offers, Kindle prices increase $20.

Kobo Libra H2O: $169.96
Kindle Oasis 3 8GB: $279.99
Kobo Forma: 8GB: $299.99
Kobo Clara HD: $89.96
Kobo Paperwhite 4: $129.99

So I would say that Kobo Readers are priced less then Kindles.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:17 PM   #58
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage (Formerly KKB, PW1, PW3, KV, OA3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hengyu View Post
Not sure about Mac, but on Windows you have to uncheck the "hide protected OS files" thingy before the folder shows up.
Mac:

When in Kindle finder window,

Command + Shift + .

Same to revert.

-BiliBug

Last edited by BiliBug; 05-21-2020 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Clarification
BiliBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:21 PM   #59
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
if we can find out why it is NOT happening with all the 'recent' books, maybe we will get more clarity.

I tried comparing a recent 'good vs bad book' and even copied the metadata of good book to the bad book but still it didn't work.
Someone got the source code of the kindle job that updates the book cover?
I hope Calibre is working on an update that will fix that.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:17 PM   #60
Fivepoints
Fivepoints began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 3
Between this and the weird main menu button for Inverted Mode showing up on random people's Kindles, there is a lot of weirdness going on.
Fivepoints is offline   Reply With Quote