Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #46
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
It works well (install and uninstall) in my aura H2O with fw 3.16.0
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:26 AM   #47
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
AutoShelf is slow for large libraries. It runs every time you unplug the Kobo from the PC and it takes its sweet time to check if there are any books in the database that ought to be shelved. There is not much room to optimize that, so I had a different idea: autoshelf manually!

To use autoshelf manually, if you actually want AutoShelf to run, make a circular swiping motion on the screen as you unplug from PC. If AutoShelf detects touchscreen input it will run, otherwise it won't run.

It's a best of both worlds: You get shelves automatically. But only when you want to.

It does not force you to look at a progress bar every time you unplug the device even when there aren't any new books to be shelved.

So in order to put new books on with AutoShelf-Manually the process is like this:

- connect to PC
- copy books
- disconnect (AutoShelf used to run here and waste time)
- Kobo updates its database
- connect to PC
- disconnect while you simultaneously do a circular screen swipe motion
- the swipe-on-unplug causes AutoShelf to run and put the books on shelves

If you try this, let me know how it works for you. I'm considering making this the default behaviour for future versions of this mod.

Last edited by frostschutz; 07-03-2015 at 09:54 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #48
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It's working, but you need to begin the circular swiping before ejecting the device.
if I want to uninstall do I make anyname.autoshelf-uninstall folder in .kobo?

Thanks

Last edited by oren64; 07-03-2015 at 03:03 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #49
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not in .kobo, but in the main dir, and just ".autoshelf-uninstall" so the folder name starts with dot same way ".kobo" does.

Also the uninstall will perform only when autoshelf normally performs, so in case of manually: it uninstalls when you do the swipe-disconnect

I can probably make a better method than the swipe, I'll think about it.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #50
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Not in .kobo, but in the main dir, and just ".autoshelf-uninstall" so the folder name starts with dot same way ".kobo" does.
I can't name a folder ".autoshelf-uninstall", it said "You must type a file name", i am using
Win 7.

EDIT: succeed name a folder via Bulk Rename Utility software.

Last edited by oren64; 07-03-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Advert
Old 07-03-2015, 11:31 AM   #51
frostschutz
Linux User

Okay, for reasons strange and mysterious, it appears that in Windows, in order to create a folder that starts with a . you also have to put an extra . at the end of the name. So creating a ".autoshelf-uninstall." folder actually gives you an ".autoshelf-uninstall" without . at the end. I don't even want to know the reason for that.

Alternatively open a command prompt (cmd) and 'mkdir X:\.autoshelf-uninstall' (replace X with the drive letter your kobo got)

Last edited by frostschutz; 07-03-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #52
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Quote:
Okay, for reasons strange and mysterious, it appears that in Windows, in order to create a folder that starts with a . you also have to put an extra . at the end of the name. So creating a ".autoshelf-uninstall." folder actually gives you an ".autoshelf-uninstall" without . at the end. I don't even want to know the reason for that.

Alternatively open a command prompt (cmd) and 'mkdir X:\.autoshelf-uninstall' (replace X with the drive letter your kobo got)
Windows look for a dot for read the extension. If you put ".something" Windows read "no_name.something" and ask for a name for file. Windows accept multiple dots in a name, but only the last dot is used for extension, so if you write ".something." Windows read ".something.no_extension" and then you can't see the last dot but yes for the others.
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #53
frostschutz
Linux User

I made the manual idea the standard behaviour now.

Tapping the screen while the reader is connected to the PC will display an AutoShelf icon and run AutoShelf on disconnect; tapping it again will make the icon disappear so you can turn AutoShelf on and off while connected to PC.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #54
oren64
I need a chapter break

Excellent, match better than circular swiping.
the processing data is different its flash several times.

Last edited by oren64; 07-13-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:41 PM   #55
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Quote:

Tapping the screen while the reader is connected to the PC will display an AutoShelf icon and run AutoShelf on disconnect; tapping it again will make the icon disappear so you can turn AutoShelf on and off while connected to PC.
Perfect ! aura h20 3.16.0
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #56
dash.
dash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kobo H2O
Quote:

Works great on my H2O, thanks frostschutz!
dash. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:08 AM   #57
frostschutz
Linux User

It no longer works on 3.16.10; Kobo added a watchdog that detects when nickel hung or crashed, and reboots the device. Since AutoShelf lets nickel sleep for a bit while it's adding shelves to the database, the watchdog kicks in and instead of new shelves you get a reboot. I will see what I can do to work around it...

~~~~

Updated it, added a workaround for 3.16.10.

Last edited by frostschutz; 07-31-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:04 PM   #58
fengcuo
fengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD & Glo
Quote:
It no longer works on 3.16.10; Kobo added a watchdog that detects when nickel hung or crashed, and reboots the device. Since AutoShelf lets nickel sleep for a bit while it's adding shelves to the database, the watchdog kicks in and instead of new shelves you get a reboot. I will see what I can do to work around it...

~~~~

Updated it, added a workaround for 3.16.10.
Dear frostschutz,
You are the best, the autoshelf works pretty good on my aura hd and glo.(3.17.3)
(1)it can not works on my new glo hd(either 3.16.10.or 3.17.3), is there any sollution to solve this problem.
(2)Could you add an autoshelf.png icon (by using fmon), when touch this icon, the autoshelf works. This can make the shelf at anytime and the user do not need plug to the computer again to run the autoshelf.
Then there are two ways to run the autoshelf.(either touch the icon at anytime or touch the screen when kobo is connedted to the computer)
Thank you.
Have a nice day.
Kind Regards,
fengcuo

Last edited by fengcuo; 09-01-2015 at 11:06 PM.
fengcuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:09 PM   #59
frostschutz
Linux User

1) I don't know why it wouldn't work for a Glo HD. [And I don't have one so I can't test.]

2) The reason autoshelf runs at computer plug time is because that's when nickel frees up its hold on its database and reloads it afterwards. The fmon would have to kill and restart nickel to achieve the same effect.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:37 PM   #60
fengcuo
fengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy bluefengcuo can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD & Glo
Quote:
1) I don't know why it wouldn't work for a Glo HD. [And I don't have one so I can't test.]

2) The reason autoshelf runs at computer plug time is because that's when nickel frees up its hold on its database and reloads it afterwards. The fmon would have to kill and restart nickel to achieve the same effect.
Ok, i see. Thank you for your help.
fengcuo is offline   Reply With Quote