Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-22-2022, 08:08 AM   #1
sylvandale
sylvandale began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yet another "Error communicating with device" question

Yet another "Error communicating with device" question, sorry.

I have used Calibre for many years with various devices. However I have had a problem setting it up with a new Lenovo P11 Plus tablet. Basically, when an SD card is present I get the "Error communicating with device" message, and when the SD card is removed it works fine.

I have seen many threads on this, so I realise it's probably a dead end, but I just wanted to check to see if there is any solution I have missed. I have bought this tablet mostly for use as an ebook and pdf reader, so I'm keen to try every possibility

What I have tried is:

1. The old turn 'em off turn 'em back on again routine.
2. Looking for the files driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre on the tablet. Obviously these don't exist until first calibre communication has been established, so if I try it with the SD card installed first then they are not there. Only once I remove the SD card are they then created.
3. Factory resetting the tablet. As it's brand new, and Calibre is the first thing I want to get working, this is not a big deal.
4. Different SD cards. I have a new 256GB card and and older 64GB card, both SanDisk Ultra cards bought direct from Amazon, not third parties. Both cards work fine generally and are recognised on the tablet and in windows.
5. Reformatting the SD cards, both on PC and on the tablet.
6. The SD cards are formatted as "portable storage" which I understand is basically what SD cards have always been, generally. I have not tried formatting as "Internal Storage", that just seems to me to be a recipe for other problems down the line.
7. Enabling USB debugging in developer mode on the tablet - not something I have seen on this forum but I read it somewhere else and thought it worth a go.

Any suggestions most welcome, please.

I can of course post the error log if that helps at all.

Many thanks
sylvandale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:29 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Posting the actual error is always useful.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 12:40 PM   #3
sylvandale

This is the error:

calibre, version 5.40.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_e numeration.cpp:336:Failed to EnumObjects() of folder from device:[hr=0x80042009 wCode=7689] IDispatch error #7689: oE7

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 512, in _books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 219, in books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 191, in get_driveinfo
File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 271, in filesystem_cache
wpd.WPDError: C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_e numeration.cpp:336:Failed to EnumObjects() of folder from device:[hr=0x80042009 wCode=7689] IDispatch error #7689: oE7

Thanks
Old 04-22-2022, 02:07 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah yes I'm afraid you have tried everything I know of to workaround that error.
Old 04-22-2022, 02:10 PM   #5
sylvandale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Ah yes I'm afraid you have tried everything I know of to workaround that error.
I feared as much. But many thanks for looking at it (& for Calibre of course!)
Old 05-03-2022, 06:37 AM   #6
sylvandale

Just a postscript, in case its useful for anyone else reading this in future:

I formatted the SD card as "Internal Storage", which, as I understand it, is where the tablet sees/uses the card along with the internal ram as a single storage. That works ok. The downside is that you can't remove the card, and I don't know what happens if the card breaks. But its worth it for me to get Calibre working on this tablet.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:19 AM   #7
wildhoney66
Connoisseur
wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: amazon Fire Kindle 6
i am getting the same thing
Spoiler:

:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_en umeration.cpp:707:Cannot write to file:[hr=0x8007065d wCode=0] Data supplied is of wrong type.

File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 548, in _books

File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 219, in books

File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 191, in get_driveinfo

File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 181, in _update_drive_info

File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 152, in put_calibre_file

File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 35, in check_thread

File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 444, in put_file

wpd.WPDError: C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_e numeration.cpp:707:Cannot write to file:[hr=0x8007065d wCode=0] Data supplied is of wrong type.

and from Debugging it i got this

Spoiler:

calibre Debug log
calibre 5.42 embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.19041 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
calibre 5.42 embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.19041 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 91.73814898419865 x 91.80722891566265
Using calibre Qt style: True
[0.00] Starting up...
[0.00] Showing splash screen...
[0.38] splash screen shown
[0.38] Initializing db...
[0.41] db initialized
[0.41] Constructing main UI...
[1.23] main UI initialized...
[1.23] Hiding splash screen
Job: 0 Set library information started
DeviceJob: 0 Set library information done, calling callback
Starting QuickView
DeviceJob: 0 Set library information callback returned
Job: 1 Get device information started
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information callback returned
Job: 2 Set library information started
DeviceJob: 2 Set library information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 2 Set library information callback returned
Job: 3 Get list of books on device started
MTP: Loading filesystem metadata...
MTP: Ignored object: Pictures
MTP: Ignored object: Alarms
MTP: Ignored object: Music
MTP: Ignored object: Movies
MTP: Ignored object: DCIM
MTP: Ignored object: Notifications
MTP: Ignored object: Ringtones
MTP: Ignored object: Android/media
MTP: Ignored object: Android/obb
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.amazon.device.backup
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.android.camera2
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.amazon.photos
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.amazon.dee.app
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.kingsoft.office.amz
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.amazon.avod
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.amazon.venezia
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.amazon.diode
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.goodreads.kindle
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.amazon.windowshop
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.audible.application.kindle
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.microsoft.office.officehubrow
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.amazon.mp3
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.here.odnp.service
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.amazon.iris
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.amazon.zico
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.amazon.kindle.otter.oobe
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.amazon.securitysyncclient
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.amazon.h2settingsfortablet
MTP: Ignored object: Android/data/com.amazon.firelauncher
Job: 0 Set library information finished
No details available.
Job: 2 Set library information finished
No details available.
Job: 1 Get device information finished
No details available.
F a i l e d t o E n u m O b j e c t s ( ) f o r o b j e c t i d : o 3 D r e t r y i n g w i t h a s l e e p .
DeviceJob: 3 Get list of books on device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 3 Get list of books on device callback returned
Job: 3 Get list of books on device finished
C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_e numeration.cpp:336:Failed to EnumObjects() of folder from device:[hr=0x800710d2 wCode=0] The library, drive, or media pool is empty.: o3D

Last edited by theducks; 05-14-2022 at 01:46 AM. Reason: spoilered
wildhoney66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:22 AM   #8
wildhoney66
Connoisseur
wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

but mine isn't for setting up anything it's cause i was putting books on Sunday night and it was working now it's not letting me remove books or put anymore on it my apologies for putting this in the wrong section i've never had this problem so i dunno where else to put it and this looked about as close to my problem. i did uninstall it and install it again and nada
Old 05-14-2022, 01:47 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

delete the file driveinfo.calibre from the device and you should be fine.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:49 AM   #10
wildhoney66
Connoisseur

how do you do that?
Old 05-14-2022, 01:53 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhoney66 View Post
how do you do that?
Use your file explorer (assumes connected by USB), to see the files on the device.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 02:00 AM   #12
wildhoney66
Connoisseur

yeah the cord isn't that long either it's connected to my PC
Old 05-14-2022, 02:12 AM   #13
wildhoney66
Connoisseur

i found it thank you i was just looking in the wrong place thank you so much i just said screw it and deleted all my books there were over #200 of them but ya know it was worth it cause one of them could have been infected.

so thank you