Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-02-2022, 01:28 AM   #1
dust30
dust30 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
[kpdfsync] Annotates a PDF with highlights and notes from 'My Clippings.txt' file

Hi,
I use my Kindle PW to read PDF documents, but the problem with Kindle and PDF files, is that the highlights and notes made on the Kindle, are not saved on the PDF files. Which means, if I take the document out, I will not have the annotations made to it. This is a huge problem, as all my precious notes are locked on the Kindle device.

In of itself, the 'My Clippings.txt' file is too simple and unless.

So for a few months, I am writing a software which read 'My Clippings.txt' file and can apply the highlights and notes onto a PDF file.

It is still under development, so I would like some feedback. It runs on Windows and Linux. I released a new version. So I will really appreciate, if some of you can give it a try and see it is useful.

https://github.com/coderarjob/kpdfsync
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_alpha.png
Views:	149
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	193039  
dust30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:44 AM   #2
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
I‘ve been waiting for a tool like this for so long. Thank you, will definitely give this a try!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:14 PM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Isn't this going to perform the same function as Kindle Mate?
https://kmate.me/
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:47 PM   #4
dust30

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
I‘ve been waiting for a tool like this for so long. Thank you, will definitely give this a try!
Thank you so much. Please keep in touch and let me know what problems you are having.
I am investing a lot of time, to release the next alpha version this week. It will have many bug fixes and other improvements.

Have a great day.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:06 PM   #5
dust30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
kpdfsync highlights and copies notes from the Clippings file and applied it to the corresponding PDF book or document. This is required if you want to keep the annotations on the PDF files, because Kindle does not do it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	comparison.png
Views:	105
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	193113  
Old 04-06-2022, 06:19 PM   #6
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Does Kindle Mate parse the contents of your clippings file with PDF files on your computer and highlight the sections that are extracted in the clippings file? I think it doesn’t…
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:45 PM   #7
dust30

New version (0.9.0-alpha) released.

I uploaded a new version, with some bug fixes and UI updates.
Waiting for some feedback from you guys.

I have also prepared an Introduction video. Please find that in Youtube.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:51 AM   #8
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Does Kindle Mate parse the contents of your clippings file with PDF files on your computer and highlight the sections that are extracted in the clippings file? I think it doesn’t…
Kindle Mate uses the clippings file to collate all your annotations and highlights into the book related collections and others, such as looked up words.

You can see all the notes, highlights etc you've made in a particular book and export them. Some people use Ansi in colaboration with Kindle Mate to set up a system of learning the words they've looked up in the kindle's dictionary.

As for PDF format in particular, I've never used my 6" kindles for reading PDFs, so I can't be sure about this. If you read the Kindle Mate website, it will probably answer this question. KM is free, you could always download it, annotate a PDF on your kindle, then see if KM carries over those annotations. It probably will if the annotations are written to the clipping file.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:04 AM   #9
dust30

New version (0.9.0-alpha) released.

It may seem that I am not replying, but most of my replies are not showing up here. Sorry for that.

I just want to inform that I have uploaded a new version of kpdfsync, it includes some bug fixes and UI changes.

Check it out at https://github.com/coderarjob/kpdfsync

I also made a video, showing the basic usage
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_alpha.png
Views:	91
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	193141  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf QuickReference.pdf (633.2 KB, 85 views)
Old 04-11-2022, 02:03 PM   #10
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
I fixed your embedded video below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust30 View Post
Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:32 AM   #11
dust30

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I fixed your embedded video below:
Shari
Thank you so much. This is great.
Old 05-06-2022, 01:37 AM   #12
dust30

Hi Guys, I am looking for some feedback. Your feedback will help me understand the priorities and what features or bugs I need to fix first.

So if any of you have tried kpdfsync, I would love to know how it went.

You can check the latest release here: https://github.com/coderarjob/kpdfsync

Thank you
Old 05-06-2022, 01:39 AM   #13
dust30

Looking for some feedback

Hi Guys, I am looking for some feedback. Your feedback will help me understand the priorities and what features or bugs I need to fix first.

Thank you
Old 10-27-2023, 03:12 AM   #14
DaySleeper
Enthusiast
DaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toysDaySleeper shares his or her toys

Device: MoonReader+ Android app on Samsung Galaxy S6 Lite and otherst
Quote:
Originally Posted by dust30 View Post

Thank you
I just now downloaded it and haven't tried it yet (I definitely plan to). Have you given thought to extending this tool beyond PDFs?
DaySleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 04:56 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I do not mean to take the wind from your sails, but I think it is just a matter of weeks or months before Amazon's Send To Kindle service starts sending Print Replica (converted from PDF) to the Kindles they are still updating, which they are doing for Scribe and the Kindle apps. Unlike PDF, the annotations and reading position sync between devices, and you can export them directly (at least from the apps and Scribe).

The necessary PR support is already there: you can take a Print Replica document delivered to Scribe and side load it to another Kindle running recent firmware, and it renders and functions as expected (and even syncs!).

One thing that does not work well is export of the entire document to PDF (allowed currently only from Scribe). Scribe annotations are not converted to PDF annotations, and it also does not preserve hyperlinks and the ToC is not converted back to PDF bookmarks.

So there might be some interest in a tool in terms of taking annotations created for the Print Replica document and restoring them to the PDF it was converted from (on Scribe there are also pen annotations to consider).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote