Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
chrisanthropic
Fiend
chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Release as a Novel or two Novellas?

My wife is in the process of editing her third book and it belongs to a larger series.

The first two books are self-contained novellas that lay the groundwork for the entire series while the third one could be framed and released as either a single Novel or two-three separate Novellas.

The perspective changes part way through and she's unsure if that change should mark the end of that novella or just the end of the chapter.

I can see benefits to both. I'm personally more likely to give an unknown author a chance on shorter works since there is less of a financial and time obligation.

I know it's really up to the author/publisher, but I'm curious what you as readers and authors have to say.
chrisanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Well it depends on how different the first part and the second part of the book is. If it works towards the same climax/ending but uses a diff POV character, I say keep it as one novel. If each part has sort of a self-contained ending, then a novella would be a good idea. It depends on how the story is currently structured or how your wife wants it to be structured. I'd say think about length suits the story best, rather than business interests.

I don't think there's any hard and fast rules about what form works best for indies: novellas vs. novels, series vs. stand alones... it all depends. Most people are used to purchasing full length novels, so there isn't really a disadvantage to selling a full length novel.

A series (esp w/ the first book priced cheap) could bring people in, but if they didn't like the first volume but they would have liked the second volume, they wouldn't find out about it and it would be a lost sale.

I've had experiences with many novels where the first 1/3rd or 1/2nd I wasn't particularly impressed with, but I kept on reading it because I just like finishing books. Then when I was about midway, the pacing improved and I got more into the book.

So again, there's no hard and fast rules. It just depends on what length/form would make the story stronger.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Do both, it will give you more virtual shelf space. But make it clear in the compilation that they don't need to buy the single ones too.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
chrisanthropic
Fiend
chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@bashfulbanshee - the POV changes but both are working towards the same climax. Thieves at Heart (#1) introduces the main characters and ends with them separated. Self-Made Scoundrel (#2) tells how they met and parts of #1 from a different character's perspective. This third one switches between the two main protagonists and tells their stories as they are eventually reunited.

Also, I agree with your comment on pricing. In fact, she's released the first book for free. The second is only $.99. If she continues to release them as novellas then the price will likely stay at $.99 but would increase for a larger compilation.

@mr ploppy - We've considered that too. She's working with an artist right now and we will probably release an illustrated compilation (~1 picture / chapter) of the entire series.

Thanks to both of you for your input.

Last edited by chrisanthropic; 04-23-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: infostuffs
Old 04-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
Miss Understood
Enthusiast
Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nook, Sony PRS-350 (pink!); IPad2
These sound interesting. Where can I find your wife's books?
Miss Understood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
chrisanthropic
Fiend

@Miss Understood

Smashwords, Amazon, Barnes & Noble.
Free On Her website (book 1) or a chapter a week of book 2 (blog).
Old 04-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisanthropic View Post
@Miss Understood

Smashwords, Amazon, Barnes & Noble.
Free On Her website (book 1) or a chapter a week of book 2 (blog).
Don't Amazon moan at you for having it free somewhere else?
Old 04-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
chrisanthropic
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Don't Amazon moan at you for having it free somewhere else?
They haven't said anything about it. Each site uses their own ISDN (etc) to identify it so I'm not sure how they could really do anything about it. Technically each one is it's own edition (mobi, epub, pdf, etc).

The smashwords one uses that blasted meatgrinder of course.
I format the epub/B&N manually (html) before running them through a few custom settings in Calibre to convert it to epub.
The Amazon ones get the same treatment as above but ends with mobi obviously.

Is there something somewhere in the Amazon TOS that says not to do that? Crap I'ma go dig that out and reread it now.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Haven't they changed their T&Cs so that your Amazon price is supposed to be no more than the cheapest price that you sell elsewhere?

Quote:
They haven't said anything about it. Each site uses their own ISDN (etc) to identify it so I'm not sure how they could really do anything about it. Technically each one is it's own edition (mobi, epub, pdf, etc).

The smashwords one uses that blasted meatgrinder of course.
I format the epub/B&N manually (html) before running them through a few custom settings in Calibre to convert it to epub.
The Amazon ones get the same treatment as above but ends with mobi obviously.

Is there something somewhere in the Amazon TOS that says not to do that? Crap I'ma go dig that out and reread it now.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
chrisanthropic
Fiend

I'm checking on that now, but they also don't let you set any price less than $.99
Old 04-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Sorry, that's right for new items, I was talking as a third party seller using Amazon not as a seller that supplies Amazon for them to sell...

Quote:
I'm checking on that now, but they also don't let you set any price less than $.99
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
I can see benefits to both. I'm personally more likely to give an unknown author a chance on shorter works since there is less of a financial and time obligation.
Personally, I do not buy novellas or short stories. I much prefer to buy a full-length novel. As for money and time, without knowing what she would charge for the novel, I can't say whether price would be much of a decision factor.

As for the time obligation, my feeling is this: If the novel is well-written, I am willing to spend the time to read it, whether it is 200 pages or 500 pages. OTOH, if the manuscript is not well written and well edited, it doesn't matter whether it is 25 pages or 1500 pages, I won't get past the first few pages before trashing it.

Last edited by rhadin; 04-25-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: correct a misspelling
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Sorry, that's right for new items, I was talking as a third party seller using Amazon not as a seller that supplies Amazon for them to sell...
It's the same rule for ebooks too. If someone tells them it's cheaper somewhere else they will price match it without warning you. Kobo tends to heavily discount stuff they get from Smashwords, then Amazon matches that price and the writer percentage drops from 70% to 30%. I'm not sure what they do if something is free elsewhere. Some people say they make it free on Amazon, others have said they just remove it from Amazon completely.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #14
chrisanthropic
Fiend

Huh, good to know. I assume it's gone unnoticed as of yet because a) she's sold so few books, or b) it's not listed as "free" on Smashwords, it's "by donation".
Old 04-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Personally, I do not buy novellas or short stories. I much prefer to buy a full-length novel. As for money and time, without knowing what she would charge for the novel, I can't say whether price would be much of a decision factor.

As for the time obligation, my feeling is this: If the novel is well-written, I am will8ing to spend the time to read it, whether it is 200 pages or 500 pages. OTOH, if the manuscript is not well written and well edited, it doesn't matter whether it is 25 pages or 1500 pages, I won't get past the first few pages before trashing it.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote