Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #136
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So, can you buy/dl kindle books to your PC if you have Kindle books in your account but no Kindle... only the iPhone Kindle app?

BOb
Yes - I bought Ur last night without problems, and I only have my iPhone registered with Amazon.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #137
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Here is a quick video of the Kindle app in action:

Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #138
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahintz View Post
Yes - I bought Ur last night without problems, and I only have my iPhone registered with Amazon.
And you are able to d/l it to your PC?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #139
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS, former Kindle owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentype View Post
hmm.. are you getting to the point where it asks you which device to download to (and the blurb about "you will need to send this device via USB after you download") or it is erroring out before you get that prompt?
Unfortunately, I don't get that far - I get the same error epiphany does:
We're sorry, this title is not currently available for download.

We are investigating the difficulty with this title and ask that you try again in 24 hours. If after that time you are still unable to access this title, please contact us for further assistance. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com!
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #140
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgirl View Post
Ah, so it doesn't look like a loophole to allow Sony/CyBook/Ez Reader owners to be able to buy from the store. However, I have heard someone say if the iPod/iPhone is jailbroken you can copy the file from the device to your PC.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #141
zentype
Space Cowboy
zentype began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgirl View Post
Unfortunately, I don't get that far - I get the same error epiphany does:

We are investigating the difficulty with this title and ask that you try again in 24 hours. If after that time you are still unable to access this title, please contact us for further assistance. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com!
Ahh okay, seeing as I have a Mac too but am able to get to the prompt, it looks like it's the fact that I have a registered Kindle as well.. It makes makes sense I guess... they realize you can't "copy the book via usb" to your iphone so you don't get that option...

Seems they're fairly on the ball then.
zentype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #142
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
[QUOTE=mbp;379552]I was playing around with this at work this afternoon. I'm in Europe so I used the voucher method to buy a book and download it onto my iphone. My iphone is jailbroken so I simply scp'd it off onto my computer. The ebook was DRMed and had a .prc extension. I tried the kindlepid.py script with the serial number for my iphone (as shown on the amazon devices page). It produced what looked like a reasonable PID but it didn't work with mobidedrm.py. I played around with it a bit and finally got it to generate the correct PID and de-drm'ed my book.
The change was trivial. Is it ok to post a modified kindlepid.py script here? I believe the change was something like:

post content modified on Amazon's request

This worked - I was able to successfully load Ur, which I purchased from the Amazon Kindle store, on my Sony PRS-505!

My iPhone isn't jailbroken, so I used the iPhone Backup Extractor (Google is your friend) and extracted the Kindle app from my latest iPhone backup. Within the folder for the app are the books (com.amazon.Lassen/Documents/eBooks), and I figured out which one was Ur by loading them into Calibre, which gave me the titles. I made the change quoted above to the kindlepid.py script, and was able to get my PID by using the serial number for my iPhone in the "Manage my Kindle" section on Amazon. Running the file through mobidedrm.py script produced a file I could load in Calibre and convert to LRF, which I then loaded to my PRS-505. Cover image transferred just fine, and from my cursory perusal of the book, everything looked correct.

Last edited by mtravellerh; 03-12-2009 at 07:05 AM.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #143
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Happy to see Amazon support the iphone finally, but if I can't get my Mobipocket books on here this app isn't going to be much use. Since I started using my iPod Touch as my main reading device I have most of my books in eReader format (except for the free Stanza books I download), but would love to get my remaining Mobipocket titles over as well. Hopefully we get a real Mobipocket iPhone app or Amazon gives us a way to add books ourselves.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #144
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
I feel for you. I was deeply entrenched in WM (about 7 devices' history worth) and was worried about whether the apps I loved from WM would ever be making it over. As of now, most applications have surpassed the WM versions... and the only two I'm waiting on (Pocket Informat and List Pro) are in the works... And the App store hasn't even been out a quarter as long as WM vendors like Handango, Pocketgear, etc... And for power users, I can VPN into my network and access both mac and windows servers on the iphone easier than I ever could with WM... And I can tether my laptop as well, without bluetooth or a cable... So basically there is very little WM could do that the iphone can't..

And of course now, I can sync reading with my Kindle... how awesome is that (sorry, not trying to rub it in.)

If it helps, there are a few apps that allow typing in landscape (MySMS from Cydia for texting in landscape) and EasyWriter (Appstore for landscape emails)... At first I really didn't like the keyboard, but I've gotten so used to it I don't mind it much at all now... And it's more durable than a slide out keyboard.. So that's an advantage... Ultimately, the trade off was worth it.... by far.
Now hold on a minute iPhone and WM devices have different strengths and weaknesses. You shouldn't feel for him. For instance he can have push email on while listening to pandora while surfing the web. And with the latest Opera builds surfing the web is getting pretty d@mn close to mobile safari. And he can be on any carrier, and he can find a device to suit what he wants to do, wheter it be a slide out keyboard, a keyboard on the front, a nontouchscreen with keyboard. He can also use the device as a mass storage device, use a standard mini (or micro) usb, has access to the best hacking developers out there (xda-developers), and has an expandable phone that he can change the battery himself in.

Plus I think an app for windows mobile will come.

Having said thad I do love my ipod Touch, and it is a nice complement to my winmo device
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #145
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
I would like to remind users be mindful of NOT spreading copyrighted work illegally because we would like the publishing industry to be comfortable on releasing more work digitally.

<Don't need to come back at me regarding DRM, I am not a lawyer. Just put yourself in the authors shoes. If you want to release the work, you could have release it in HTML and publish it on your website. If an author decides to release it under DRM, you can simply not buy the book>
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #146
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbp View Post
I was playing around with this at work this afternoon. I'm in Europe so I used the voucher method to buy a book and download it onto my iphone. My iphone is jailbroken so I simply scp'd it off onto my computer. The ebook was DRMed and had a .prc extension. I tried the kindlepid.py script with the serial number for my iphone (as shown on the amazon devices page). It produced what looked like a reasonable PID but it didn't work with mobidedrm.py. I played around with it a bit and finally got it to generate the correct PID and de-drm'ed my book.
The change was trivial. Is it ok to post a modified kindlepid.py script here? I believe the change was something like:

post content modified on Amazon's request
I can confirm that this works. I had to use MobiDeDRM.py rather than kindlefix.py once I had generated the correct PID from my iPhone serial # with the modified kindlepid.py. For other Kindle newbies: the serial # is found at amazon.com/kindle, Manage Your Kindle|Your iPhone(s) and iPod Touch(es)|Edit Info (I tried my actual iPod serial from the iPod settings at first ).

Thanks for the tip mbp. I can finally get ebooks at Kindle prices on my DR1000S.

Now who's up to the task of reverse engineering topaz and how much is it gonna cost me?

Last edited by mtravellerh; 03-12-2009 at 07:06 AM.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #147
zentype
Space Cowboy
zentype began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Now hold on a minute iPhone and WM devices have different strengths and weaknesses. You shouldn't feel for him. For instance he can have push email on while listening to pandora while surfing the web. And with the latest Opera builds surfing the web is getting pretty d@mn close to mobile safari. And he can be on any carrier, and he can find a device to suit what he wants to do, wheter it be a slide out keyboard, a keyboard on the front, a nontouchscreen with keyboard. He can also use the device as a mass storage device, use a standard mini (or micro) usb, has access to the best hacking developers out there (xda-developers), and has an expandable phone that he can change the battery himself in.

Plus I think an app for windows mobile will come.

Having said thad I do love my ipod Touch, and it is a nice complement to my winmo device
Boo! Winmo sucks! Just kidding (seriously, had to say it since it looked like I touched off a nerve), Actually by saying "I feel for him" was the fact that he wanted an iphone but was waiting for a slide out keyboard and I was trying to let him know that if that is the only reason he would not get one, perhaps the lack of keyboard isn't as bad as he thinks. Not that WM was terrible. Far from it. 7 devices since WinCE 1.0! Come on recognize!

For his sake and others, I hope a Kindle app does come out for WM and Android as well.. I'm afraid due to the iP's popularity, some developers may choose to concentrate on that platform alone. Good for current owners but I don't like feeling locked in.

My hopes are for Android though. I hope it gets software support as great as WM and the iPhone... Because until T-mobile gets the iphone, I may eventually switch to another device. Especially if the deathstar is in the habit of increasing their data plans prices each time a new iphone upgrade comes out... (AND they're tracking IMEIs too so any hopes of getting a sim-free device and using it without an increase in data prices will be short lived)...

And YES The battery... One of the biggest gripes on the iP... I hate it being non-user replaceable (and soldered on my model!).. One of the things I miss most from my WM phones (heck ALL other phones)... bah!
zentype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #148
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbp View Post
I'm very sure that was the actual change. I was playing with this at work - now I'm at home. It's 00:50 here and I don't have the energy to reproduce now. If no-one verifies it before I get to work tomorrow I'll double-check it then and post an update.
Thank you. I do hope you are correct about everything working. The only thing I'm wondering is how do we get the book off of an iPod Touch that has not been jailbroken.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #149
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
For his sake and others, I hope a Kindle app does come out for WM and Android as well.. I'm afraid due to the iP's popularity, some developers may choose to concentrate on that platform alone. Good for current owners but I don't like feeling locked in.
Do you know if Windows Mobile 7 will change the existing application model? or whatever exists already will continue to move forward? Do you need Gold membership to be on Windows Mobile 7 early preview?

Thanks.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #150
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Boo! Winmo sucks! Just kidding (seriously, had to say it since it looked like I touched off a nerve)
Hehe too much WinMo bashing much justified, much not..Also too much apple love *blech*

Having said that ..

I dont have a kindle yet downloaded the kindle app, installed it on my ipod touch, and went to amazon, bought a book, and instantly downloaded it to my touch. I then used iphone browser to move it to my pc where I now have a .mbp file and a .prc file.

I'm going to attempt to see what magic I can work on this, despite my ignorance
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle