Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
What's it like reading a book on an Onyx 13"?

Does the device feel too large, really, for book reading?

I've always read e-books on small devices, because I am myopic and need to keep the device close to my eyes. But I've got a reMarkable that I am trying out, and it's surprisingly good to read on. Even though it's 10 inches. Even though it's close to my face. I assume it's easy on the eyes as there's no backlight.

But does a 13" reader feel a bit large when laying down in the recliner to read and drink coffee?
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Hello,

I'm myopic too. I read my M92 (9.7) with and without glasses. For novel, it's not very important. But for the technical book, the EPUB format sometimes is not so good as the PDF version : hard to know if a part is the 'course' or an 'example'. In this case, to have a full PDF page is better mainly with I.T. books where you have some comments and some codes.

Yes, read a technical book in EPUB or PDF with a 6" e-ink device is possible, I done it with the "Managing NFS and NIS" from O'Reilly. But, know I 'm sure to prefer a 13" screen
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Hello,

I'm myopic too. I read my M92 (9.7) with and without glasses. For novel, it's not very important. But for the technical book, the EPUB format sometimes is not so good as the PDF version : hard to know if a part is the 'course' or an 'example'. In this case, to have a full PDF page is better mainly with I.T. books where you have some comments and some codes.

Yes, read a technical book in EPUB or PDF with a 6" e-ink device is possible, I done it with the "Managing NFS and NIS" from O'Reilly. But, know I 'm sure to prefer a 13" screen
How myopic are you?

I've got -5.25

I read with the device pretty close, and it works pretty good with small e-readers, such as a cell phone (five inches). At the time I only read novels, in epub or mobi format.

Thanks for your feedback, by the way. I'm worried that a large screen would require so much distance to the eyes that it'd be unpractical.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
I'm worried that a large screen would require so much distance to the eyes that it'd be unpractical.
It doesn't. I'm not sure about how you handle the page, but you keep the idea of the macro even though you are sweeping focused on the micro.
(= the advantage is "more content on the page"; why should you modify screen to eye distance?)

For literature, my favourite is portrait, two columns, big screen. Kind of "newspaper like".

Last edited by mdp; 02-18-2018 at 05:50 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #5
norweger
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
why should you modify screen to eye distance?
I have a 10.1 inch Sony Android tablet and have never been able to bring myself to read on it for hours. But it might be that my problem with such large devices is only that they emit more light than smaller devices. So, an unlit e-ink reader would be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
For literature, my favourite is portrait, two columns, big screen. Kind of "newspaper like".
Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated!
Advert
Old 02-19-2018, 03:01 AM   #6
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How myopic are you?

I've got -5.25

I read with the device pretty close, and it works pretty good with small e-readers, such as a cell phone (five inches). At the time I only read novels, in epub or mobi format.

Thanks for your feedback, by the way. I'm worried that a large screen would require so much distance to the eyes that it'd be unpractical.
As Mdp suggest it, you could keep a very small font. You can easily read the two page without glasses.

For the novels, I didn't like the 6" size because I must turn the page too often. But for technical book, I loose in ease in the learning process.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:26 AM   #7
svosg13
Enthusiast
svosg13 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1, DPT-S1, DPT-RP1
I happen to own 3 13.3" devices: the DPT-S1, DPT-RP1, and Boox Max 2. I like the flexibility of Boox Max2 that allows to install apps but I find myself reading more on the DPT-RP1.

IMO, the DPT-RP1 is much much lighter than the Max2. This is a deal breaker to me. And Sony e-ink display is a tad better than the Onyx. The only problem I encountered is the "locked" version of Android on DPT-RP1. Hope someone can root it soon.
svosg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:03 AM   #8
norweger
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svosg13 View Post
I happen to own 3 13.3" devices: the DPT-S1, DPT-RP1, and Boox Max 2. I like the flexibility of Boox Max2 that allows to install apps but I find myself reading more on the DPT-RP1.

IMO, the DPT-RP1 is much much lighter than the Max2. This is a deal breaker to me. And Sony e-ink display is a tad better than the Onyx. The only problem I encountered is the "locked" version of Android on DPT-RP1. Hope someone can root it soon.
Thanks!

I haven't made up my mind for what to buy yet. Just for comparison I am jotting down the weight of some old and new devices here.

reMarkable 10.3 inches. 350 gram.
Sony Z4 10.1 inches. 393 gram.
iPad 1. 9.7 inches. 730 gram. (This device felt too heavy!)

Svosg13, you say you read more on the Sony than the Onyx, could this be partly due to the Onyx having third party apps that distract you from reading?
Old 02-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thanks!

I haven't made up my mind for what to buy yet. Just for comparison I am jotting down the weight of some old and new devices here.

reMarkable 10.3 inches. 350 gram.
Sony Z4 10.1 inches. 393 gram.
iPad 1. 9.7 inches. 730 gram. (This device felt too heavy!)

Svosg13, you say you read more on the Sony than the Onyx, could this be partly due to the Onyx having third party apps that distract you from reading?
I would say it is likely just the weight. The Sony is lighter than many 10" devices. Only 12.7oz, 358g. About the same as an Onyx 10.3" Note.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:08 AM   #10
svosg13
Enthusiast
svosg13 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1, DPT-S1, DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would say it is likely just the weight. The Sony is lighter than many 10" devices. Only 12.7oz, 358g. About the same as an Onyx 10.3" Note.
Exactly. The number 1 issue is the weight, which bothers me most when I used the Max2.

According to the specs:
Max2: 550g
DPT-RP1: 349g

However, the Sony feels significant lighter in my hand, so I don't think the Max2 specs is accurate. Boox could have used carbon fibre to build the case but they chose hard plastic, which made the Max2 looks cheaper and heavier.

e-Ink quality of Max2 compared to Sony is 90/100. I really like the new design of the Sony's since the screen and the case are "continuously leveled" and leaves no "dead corner". (Imagine: flat screen on iPad v/s screen on the Kindle is below the case). This ergonomic design is better for writing.

The big MINUS point for the Sony is the software. As usual, Sony software sucks! To achieve security, they implemented a new connectivity method that when you plug your DPT-RP1 to computer it will establish a local ethernet network between the devices and you HAVE to use Sony software to transfer files, rather than the traditional USB storage way in previous DPT-S1 model. This is a HUGE problem for people running VPN on their laptop, or using company laptop with firewall 24/7 ON. The software will not work unless you are off VPN or using home network. This is so STUPID idea that I am looking forward to rooting the device no matter what cost...

Software wise, switching from reading to writing on Sony feels more natural as you just pick up the pen and write. Writing on Max2 requires switching to scribble mode before you can write anything. This is not so annoying but pretty inconvenient as I need to switch between reading and writing mode constantly on long document.

Battery wise, Sony wins hand down.

I'm returning my Max2 today with no regret!

Last edited by svosg13; 02-21-2018 at 01:11 AM.
svosg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #11
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
stand for boox max

I was looking where to ask. Instead of starting a new thread it sounds on the topic....

I was looking where to buy the stand for max 2 as it seems to be practical for reading when behind the desk and of course for use of the monitor mode. However I cannot find it anywhere - does it exist?

I have found something on china store which may work for the reader as it is designed for 12", what you think of that?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Univ...831017441.html
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #12
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Does the device feel too large, really, for book reading?

I've always read e-books on small devices, because I am myopic and need to keep the device close to my eyes. But I've got a reMarkable that I am trying out, and it's surprisingly good to read on. Even though it's 10 inches. Even though it's close to my face. I assume it's easy on the eyes as there's no backlight.

But does a 13" reader feel a bit large when laying down in the recliner to read and drink coffee?
At least if you want to read one handed. It isn't that it is particularly heavy, but weight distribution and size makes it tiresome to hold in one hand.

Having said that, it is a huge difference if you read PDF books. I read a fair amount of non-fiction and like to take notes, an option not available on either my Kindle or Sony T1.

One more advantage for a myopic person is the large fonts you'll be able to use and still keep a decent amount of text on a page.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #13
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
I was looking where to buy the stand for max 2 as it seems to be practical for reading when behind the desk and of course for use of the monitor mode. However I cannot find it anywhere - does it exist?

Booxtor has one available which is about half the price of the official Boox Desk Stand.

https://ereader.store/en/accessoires...-stand-29.html

My wife has been using a smaller almost identical stand for her ipad for several years now and it works very well. It even comes with a clip that allows it to be mounted on a wall. The stand can then be slid in and out of the clip very easily.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:25 AM   #14
Randy11
Wizard

The official stand : https://ereader.store/en/accessoires...-stand-27.html

Beautiful, but I think that I prefer the later, more adaptable.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:27 AM   #15
Randy11
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
One more advantage for a myopic person is the large fonts you'll be able to use and still keep a decent amount of text on a page.
I confirm