Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-11-2018, 05:27 AM   #16
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
I am very much interested in this kind of screen mirroring as well, for office use: sketching on my e-ink device and mirroring it to a large-screen tv for my colleagues to see.
Unfortunately I don't have a Max 2 to test this with, but if Android 6 doesn't support Miracast out-of-the box, maybe it's possible with an app? There are a bunch of apps on the Play store if you search for Miracast, and I have used EZCast with its own dongle a while back.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:41 AM   #17
pdemedina
pdemedina began at the beginning.

Device: onyx note onyx m96
I can confirm Boox Note works with Chromecast.
pdemedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2018, 03:57 AM   #18
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdemedina View Post
That's good news for sure. Can any detail be beneficial?

On the other hand, about Miracast, Angela on bbs.onyx-international.com replied to Question Mark:
http://bbs.onyx-international.com/t/...t-function/219

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestion, but unfortunately we can not add this function to the current generation of BOOX NOTE since adding this function requires big change to the hardware layout. But for sure we will keep your suggestion in the new feature list for the next generation of BOOX NOTE.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:59 AM   #19
everalm
everalm began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Max Boox 2
The SoC that the Max2 runs (Rockchip RK3288) DOES support HDMI "OUT" to a monitor however the current implementation on provides for HDMI "IN" where a PC drives the screen.
everalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #20
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdemedina View Post
I didn't notice a Chromecast option in the settings. So I'm assuming that you used wifi with an internet connection and a Chrome browser to get it working. Would that be correct?

Unfortunately for me, Chromecast is not a great option for work. A Miracast option would be much better because then I wouldn't need to establish an internet connection to let my Note talk to my projector. All I would need is a power source. It makes the setup much more mobile. I really hope they enable Miracast in the second generation Note.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2018, 01:04 PM   #21
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
then I wouldn't need to establish an internet connection to let my Note talk to my projector
If the Onyx tablet had the option to create a hotspot, that would not be a problem.
But you could use your phone for that:
-- you can keep it Internet-less;
-- create a mobile hotspot on the phone and allow the Note and the Chromecast.
An extra item, but it would work.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #22
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
If the Onyx tablet had the option to create a hotspot, that would not be a problem.
But you could use your phone for that:
-- you can keep it Internet-less;
-- create a mobile hotspot on the phone and allow the Note and the Chromecast.
An extra item, but it would work.
Thanks for that information. Never had a smart phone before so I am only just learning about their various capabilities. Will have to look into that.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #23
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for that information. Never had a smart phone before so I am only just learning about their various capabilities. Will have to look into that.
Create the Hotspot, give it a good (Wi-Fi Access Point) name and set a (WPA2) password; connect the tablet and the chromecast with those credentals, then you can set that only allowed devices can connect.
As written, you can use this just to bridge devices.

Last edited by mdp; 03-27-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #24
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Create the Hotspot, give it a good (Wi-Fi Access Point) name and set a (WPA2) password; connect the tablet and the chromecast with those credentals, then you can set that only allowed devices can connect.
As written, you can use this just to bridge devices.
Thanks for the info. Good to know that I could do that in a pinch. However, from what I have been reading, that would involve using cellular data and I am not on a data plan.

As I don't really intend to use my phone as a phone, I got an unlocked phone and am using a pay-as-you-go SIM card. I bought the minimum value I could, $25, and expect that will last me for a year as I only really intend to use it as a phone for emergency or urgent situations.

The beauty of Miracast is that all you really need is a power source and a dongle. I could take my phone or tablet deep into the forest far from the reach of any phone tower and connect to my projector via a Miracast dongle to project nature films onto a screen to entertain the wildlife...

I really just want to be as mobile and as cheap as possible. However, it is always good to be aware of other options so thanks again.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:00 AM   #25
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
However, from what I have been reading, that would involve using cellular data and I am not on a data plan
You read very bad sources. I repeat:
>you can keep it Internet-less
>As written, you can use this just to bridge devices.

If you connect the phone to a data source, you provide Internet to the connected devices; otherwise, with the hotspot you have created, you have created a bridge for allowed devices.

If you disable cellular connectivity, but enable the bluetooth and connect a keyboard, you have a two devices network - for the rest, isolated.
If your "phone" is a hotspot, and A and B connect to it, A and B can talk. What's not connected (e.g. the Internet) won't.

It just creates a network. It's just like your phone becomes a hub/switch and you plug other devices into it via a virtual (Wi-Fi) cable, so they can talk. And it's a private network, if you do not also connect the Internet.
There is no expense nor bureaucracy in creating a network.

Just be sure to keep your data access (GPRS, 4G etc.) disabled, as you are already doing now - otherwise, devices attempt connection to the Internet. Keep internet access off - as you are already doing (otherwise you would be paying for it). Keep if you want the cellular network accessible, but not the data (you have surely learnt those settings).

The phone has several radios - say, Cellular, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, GPS...
ALL of them can be down and the Hotspot can still work. Even the "Wi-Fi" setting - the Hotspot is a different one (to me, it is in "Tethering and mobile hotspot").

Last edited by mdp; 03-28-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:38 AM   #26
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
You read very bad sources. I repeat:
>you can keep it Internet-less
>As written, you can use this just to bridge devices...
Many thanks for the patient clarification. I will look into giving your workaround a try.

And, yes, after inserting my SIM card into the phone, one of the first things I did was to turn off access to cellular data. I intend to squeeze every penny out of the $25 I have on my SIM card.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:07 PM   #27
Question Mark
Wizard

Well, the Note does indeed work with Chromecast on both a projector and a smart TV when it has an internet connection.

However, I could not get my Chromecast dongle to work without having access to the internet. Although I set my phone up as a mobile hotspot which my Note could connect to, it could not connect to the Chromecast dongle even though it could "see" it. It would keep on trying to connect, but wouldn't be able. I also tried to connect a tablet to the Chromecast using the mobile hotspot set up on my phone. Again, no go.

Although I followed the instructions given in a previous post and although I watched several videos showing that it works, I could not manage to make it happen. I wonder if Google has changed some setting requiring you to have an internet connection now for Chromecast to work...

Be that as it may, I was very underwhelmed by my experience using the Note with Chromecast when it had an internet connection. Although the cast image would show a full page, sometimes the page would not fully render on the Note. At such times, I would have to tap the A2 icon once or twice to get the page to fully render on the device. It happened often enough to make it quite annoying.

Using the stylus while in cast mode was even more frustrating. Enough so to make it virtually unusable in that capacity in any professional setting. I imagine the experience is similar to what others are reporting on using the stylus with third party apps.

Hopefully, on a second generation model, they will be able to enable Miracast and get it working effectively. At the moment, not being able to mirror the screen in real time is a tremendously lost opportunity. Still love my Note, but this just somewhat limits its versatility.

Last edited by Question Mark; 03-31-2018 at 09:09 PM.