Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #1
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Firmware 4.1.7729

Mark 6 (Although mainly targeting Aura ONE and Aura Edition 2, will not be sent to older devices at this time):
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.1.7729.zip

Instructions for Patching 4.1.7729:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=279351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaroff View Post
FYI, Kobo are aware there still are battery bugs and problems with the new firmware, and have this to say about it:

"We are aware of the battery issue on the Aura One. There will be another update coming soon which will fix this issue. When exactly the update will be released is not known yet. Please bare with us."
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As has been noticed, firmware version 4.1.7729 has been released. This is only being released for the Aura ONE and Aura Edition 2. The main purpose of this release is to fix the battery drain issues and improve the OverDrive integration.

Changes I know that are included in this release are:
  • Sync issues causing high battery drainage seem to be fixed.
  • OverDrive changes. I can't comment more on this as I don't have a device with OverDrive enabled.
  • Turning off the auto-sync now works.
  • Finished books are recorded.
  • Cleanup of some menus where options didn't work (e.g. Remove annotations option when book type didn't support annotations).
  • Added "View details" to in-book menu.
  • Fixed some problems with connecting to hidden SSIDs.
  • New book filter "Downloaded". Selecting this shows all books that are on the device whether they were purchased, from OverDrive or sideloaded.

I haven't kept notes during this beta cycle, so the above is from memory. I'll add anything I think of later.

As stated, this is for the Aura ONE and the Aura Edition 2. I have no knowledge of when an update will be released for the other devices. Hopefully it won't be to long.

For calibre uses, version 2.69 has support for this firmware versions. It also includes support for OverDrive books. These will be shown in the device list with the collection "OverDrive" and matched against books in the calibre library if they exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The most notable feature for the 4.1 firmware on a non-KA1, is that if you have a KA1 and use OverDrive with it, the books will sync to your [non-KA1 device] as well.

Last edited by rtiangha; 10-13-2016 at 10:22 AM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
FWIW, frostschutz spotted/posted it first.

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.1.7729.zip

It's still listed under Mark 6, but it's probably meant for the KA1. Anyone feeling up to trying it on a different device? And will the 4.0 patches still work on this, or will they need to be re-done?
Some of the multi-version patches will still work but version specific patches won't.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:31 PM   #3
Zaroff
Connoisseur
Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Sorry for the basic question, but how do you update the FW from this zip?

EDIT: disregard, found the information.

Last edited by Zaroff; 10-11-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Zaroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Does it mean my H2O is gonna have a new firmware very soon?
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by 344a View Post
You can put it on the H2O if you insist. (KoboRoot.tgz only, not the other stuff)

(But there is nothing in there that makes it worth getting unless you are interested in a patch or mod that only works for 4.x firmware. It still flips pages same old same old and the only real new feature overdrive is not available for non KA1 device right now)
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:54 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 344a View Post
I believe the new firmware is for the KA1 and Aura 2. The older devices are going to have to wait a bit.

If you want to live on the bleeding edge, you can download the firmware from the link ( Kobo KA1 4.1.7729 firmware, open the .zip file and transfer only the KoboRoot.tgz file to the .kobo directory on your H2O. After a safe eject, it will update to 4.1.7729. I've done this several times to force an update to a device for which Kobo had not yet released an update and had no real issues.

The most notable feature for the 4.1 firmware on a non-KA1, is that if you have a KA1 and use OverDrive with it, the books will sync to your H2O as well.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-11-2016 at 07:57 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As has been noticed, firmware version 4.1.7729 has been released. This is only being released for the Aura ONE and Aura Edition 2. The main purpose of this release is to fix the battery drain issues and improve the OverDrive integration.

• OverDrive changes. I can't comment more on this as I don't have a device with OverDrive enabled.
  • Automatic sync won't happen if you are using the device at the time it should be triggered.
  • Cleanup of some menus where options didn't work (e.g. Remove annotations option when book type didn't support annotations).
  • New book filter "Downloaded". Selecting this shows all books that are on the device whether they were purchased, from OverDrive or sideloaded.
  • Performance of processing sideloaded books has been much improved. During the beta, I did a sign out and 2912 books took 25 minutes. This might have been in the previous firmware, but I hadn't checked it.

I haven't kept notes during this beta cycle, so the above is from memory. I'll add anything I think of later.

As stated, this is for the Aura ONE and the Aura Edition 2. I have no knowledge of when an update will be released for the other devices. Hopefully it won't be to long.

For calibre uses, version 2.69 has support for this firmware versions. It also includes support for OverDrive books. These will be shown in the device list with the collection "OverDrive" and matched against books in the calibre library if they exist.

Last edited by davidfor; 10-12-2016 at 01:00 AM. Reason: sideload processing and automatic sync.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #8
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

Thank you David - smiles winsomely I'll take notes for you next time!
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #9
pclewis
Enthusiast
pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Aura One
New Firmware

I just manually installed it and all appears to work. I can now turn off auto sync and it stays off.

I only briefly had the battery issue, and did a factory reset, left wi-fi off and could not get auto sync to stay off. Now it does.

I do not use wi-fi but rather use Calibre for my books that come form several sources.

Will keep and eye on the battery issue. Hopefully this is the answer.
pclewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #10
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just flashed it myself on my Glo HD. It booted up fine and seems to run. I tried to apply some of the 4.0 patches, but as DNSB mentioned, if it doesn't explicitly say it's a Multi-Version patch, then the item will fail to patch. Standard KSM08 works fine as well. I'll keep it on since I don't feel like factory resetting back to 4.0, and I'll wait until the rest of the patches are migrated over to 4.1 before trying again.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Lots of debug messages... someone is looking for something or they forgot to disable? I guess it will be temporary though, too bad. Would make for some interesting triggers.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:06 AM   #12
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Can anyone with the new firmware and Overdrive enabled comment about changes? Specifically did they add support for multiple libraries?
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:50 AM   #13
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
You can put it on the H2O if you insist. (KoboRoot.tgz only, not the other stuff)

(But there is nothing in there that makes it worth getting unless you are interested in a patch or mod that only works for 4.x firmware. It still flips pages same old same old and the only real new feature overdrive is not available for non KA1 device right now)
There's also the newer database driver. I can only speak for myself, but my Kobo database is over 1GB now, and with the 3.19 firmware, I'd get database corruption on a regular basis just through normal usage without doing anything fancy. With the 4.0 firmware, I haven't been hit by it yet. While 3.19 is super stable, that new driver is the main reason why I've stuck with the Series 4 firmware even though it hasn't "officially" been released for the Glo HD.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:46 AM   #14
Dark-marmotte
Dark-marmotte began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaroff View Post
Sorry for the basic question, but how do you update the FW from this zip?

EDIT: disregard, found the information.

Please, i would like the explanation, because I did not find them.
(sorry I'm French, i don't understand all)
Dark-marmotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:55 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-marmotte View Post
Please, i would like the explanation, because I did not find them.
(sorry I'm French, i don't understand all)
See the early posts in Direct Links to Kobo Firmware. The first two posts has the download link for the various versions of the firmware. The third has the installation instructions.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote