Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-30-2019, 07:53 PM   #28006
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGottlieb View Post
I'm reading Zombie Complex: The Battle for Chatthoochee Run by Alexander Pain.

A tongue in cheek snarky Zombie Apocalypse that leaves no subject, group, or opinion sacred or untouched. The hero makes fun of himself as a 400lb individual searching for the next meal while preparing to shelter in place and defend his home from the zombies.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FZRQC35
Try this link

https://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Comple...zombie+complex

Hey, for a buck, I'm willing to give it a try.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:13 AM   #28007
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Try this link

https://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Comple...zombie+complex

Hey, for a buck, I'm willing to give it a try.
Not a bad little novelette. The writer does have some talent.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2019, 06:34 AM   #28008
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Furthest Station by Ben Aaronovitch. Oddly, another police procedural But PC Peter Grant lives in a very different time and place.
Which was a very nice shorter story. I'm looking forward to the next novel.

Next up: The Lords of the North by Bernard Cornwell. The third in his King Alfred era historical saga. (Another recent purchase - I'm trying to make sure I read everything I buy this year, as far as is sensible.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:51 AM   #28009
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I am currently reading the second of two books with identical titles: The Birdwatcher. Different author, different genre, different countries. (I admit choosing to start the second now specifically so I could have this first-time experience, but both books were bought at the same time.)
And the result was...

The Birdwatcher by William McInnes. A gentle Australian romance. Some odd, and very Australian, characters and settings, the story is about many things while not being obviously about anything more than a birdwatcher trying to catch sight of a PPMG (Pale Pygmy Magpie Goose - a bird made up for the story, apparently). I liked this very much, but then I pretty much always enjoy McInnes, I like his voice. 4/5.

The Birdwatcher by William Shaw. An English crime story set on the Kentish coast. The first 20 odd pages of this were so off-putting that I almost didn't bother to go any further; the dialogue and set up of the story felt so forced (and this the author's fourth novel) that there didn't seem much point going on ... but I did. And it turned out to be a good story. The writing settled down and the intertwined stories of the current murder and the main protagonist's background in Northern Ireland became compelling so that I ended up finishing quite quickly. It's good, though not particularly remarkable as such stories go, so around 3.5/5. (Side Note: This is supposed to be the first of a series starring DS Alexandra Cupidi, but as she was the least convincing of the characters in this first book I'm not really in a hurry to chase up any more.)

Last edited by gmw; 01-31-2019 at 09:01 AM. Reason: staring at stars
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:02 PM   #28010
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Different strokes for different folks. I rather liked Artemis. Perhaps it wasn't quite as good as The Martian, but I thought The Martian was a great book. Of course, some of the books that people tell are wonderful, I thought was absolute drek.
That makes two of us. Makes me wonder if I am not sophisticated enough for this crowd, or it really is just a matter of taste. Kind of like how everyone loves cilantro and I think it tastes like soap.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2019, 12:25 PM   #28011
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
That makes two of us. Makes me wonder if I am not sophisticated enough for this crowd, or it really is just a matter of taste. Kind of like how everyone loves cilantro and I think it tastes like soap.
I think most (myself included) thought Jazz was just a grating, poorly written character. I still managed to get some enjoyment out of the book, but he didn't do himself any favors with that protag. I don't think Weir managed to write a remotely believable young female character. Her running internal monologue felt very weird, and decidedly male-trying-to-think-female-but-still-coming-off-male. *shrug*

Spoiler:
And cilantro/coriander IS wonderful.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:58 PM   #28012
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next, is Star Trek: Mere Mortals by David Mack the second in the Destiny series which I picked up last year for 99 cents.
I enjoyed this installment, the second in a trilogy. While the first half was more of the wait-and-see variety the last half was exciting and action packed. There are several things happening at one time that sometimes left me momentarily confused but it comes together at the end. Of course, the story leads to a big honking cliff hanger. Can't wait to see how it ends. Rated C+ [3 stars].

I'll finish the trilogy with Lost Souls also by David Mack.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:06 PM   #28013
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Now that I'm way ahead on my GR challenge, time to get serious about spending the "credit" on the books it was meant for, starting with Jungle Book in Hindi and Le Petit Prince, both of which I've barely started.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:22 AM   #28014
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
<SNIP>I don't think Weir managed to write a remotely believable young female character. [B]Her running internal monologue felt very weird, and decidedly male-trying-to-think-female-but-still-coming-off-male. *shrug*
I could not agree more. I told my wife when we were discussing it that she sounded like a 14 year old boy. Alternately, she kept referring to her rebellious teenage phase without sounding like she had ever learned anything or grown out of it. So grating.

Maybe I was more inclined to excuse that sort of behavior in The Martian because the man was isolated and looking at death every day. His tics could be forgiven a bit. Jazz was just (by her own admission) an @#&hole.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #28015
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Kind of like how everyone loves cilantro and I think it tastes like soap.
Wait ... my sister said that in a restaurant a while back. I thought she was cuckoo. Not that I like cilantro much, but it doesn't taste like soap to me. I thought my sister was just making up a negative term to describe her distaste. But you said "soap" too. So I guess you're not the only one!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #28016
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Of course, some of the books that people tell are wonderful, I thought was absolute drek.
I'm like that with movies too. One of my favorites is "Tremors". That one is right up there on top with "Shaun of the Dead". You should see the looks of shock and panic thrown my way when I suggest watching those.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:41 PM   #28017
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Wait ... my sister said that in a restaurant a while back. I thought she was cuckoo. Not that I like cilantro much, but it doesn't taste like soap to me. I thought my sister was just making up a negative term to describe her distaste. But you said "soap" too. So I guess you're not the only one!
Completely Off-Topic, but a well-known and documented genetic difference.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:41 PM   #28018
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I am reading Broken Monsters. A book Stephen King recommends. I am also reading all of H.P. Lovecraft. His writing style is a tad hard to follow but I am liking his stories so far.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:51 AM   #28019
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished listening to The Speaker of the Dead; I may look for other early Ender books on audio, but for now I am listening to The Girl Who Played with Fire.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:17 AM   #28020
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I had to look that up in a dictionary . For the benefit of other British readers, "cilantro" is coriander.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote