Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
mfp
mfp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony pocket reader
Book light for pocket reader?

This is my first post here, but I've been lurking for about a week. I just got a silver pocket reader from frys a couple of days ago. So far I really like it. I did not buy the sony leather case with light, because I don't really want the extra bulk (and I also think it is a rip off). I have read that ppl like it, because it makes it feel more like a book. I have some carpel tunnel issues and the reason I got the pocket size had a lot to do with portability and weight, I don't want to make my ereader heavier than it has to be. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has found a run of the mill book light clip for the pocket reader that works well with it. It's something that won't be used a lot, but I do want to have it around just in case. My pocket fits perfectly into my vera bradley mini-hipster and there seems like enough room in there to store a book light clip too. TIA!
mfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
A lot of people seem to have the light called the mighty bright or so. I don't know it but I bought an 8 LED Laptop light and a Battery with USB connector. This is so bright....
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
mfp
mfp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony pocket reader
Thanks Mike! At least now I have a starting point to work with, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post. It was very helpful!
mfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

You're welcome.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
Croptop
Zealot
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 5
I'm one of the people who bought the Sony leather cover with the built-in light and I haven't regretted the purchase yet. I don't find that it adds very much to the weight of the device and the light works perfectly. I also like the fact that the eReader is secured into the cover with clips rather than elastic straps like most of the third-party covers. But I digress since you didn't really ask about covers.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 01:46 AM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I canʻt help much, as I just use whatever random light my husband has picked up, if I can still find it. Currently, in bed, Iʻm using something like this, and it works out ok for me, provided Iʻm not moving my head around too much
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
Bltprf502
Enthusiast
Bltprf502 doesn't litterBltprf502 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300S (GONE), Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kindle 3
The factory leatherette cover with the built in light works best. I have tried a few and it works very well compared to the others.
Bltprf502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I also use the Sony leather cover with built in light and like it. I also have a mighty bright, but it uses three AAA batteries making it larger and heavier. The Sony leather cover with built in light only uses one AAA battery and I like they way it folds into the cover for easy storage and portability.

If you know how to strip away the DRM (do a Google search as we cannot talk about it here), then you can use Calibre to convert the ePubs to ePubs with bold text. That also helps in low light situations by adding contrast to the text. If you search a little farther you will learn how to add fonts to the Pocket reader then use Calibre to substitute a better font for the system font. Selecting a heavier font and /or making the text bold both help out a lot, especially in low light situations.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
I have a mighty bright flex travel; small and light, one LED one AAA, gives just enough light to read the whole screen comfortably. Clamps on my PRS300 cover very well. But I only use it when I have too, do not like the blueish white light very much.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I bought an Led booklight from the dollar Store. Probably not as nice as the built in one, but for $1.99 Cad is really nice. Flexible head makes it very useful. I clip it onto my non backlit keybord for typing in the dark
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #11
Larken
Where's the backlight??
Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and Kobo Glo HD
I have the Sony book cover with the built-in light. I like it pretty well. I have never changed the battery and use it quite a bit. The natural place to suspend the light seems to be at the top of the reader, but for me, it causes a lot of glare. I twist it and shine it at an angle from the left side and it works great illuminating the entire screen. Admittedly, this cover/light makes the Pocket Reader unpocketable, but if I really want to carry it in my pocket, I just remove the cover. I prefer it with a cover, esp at work, because it looks professional. It is especially helpful in meetings when I want to read instead of pay attention
Larken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #12
Mike_73
Guru

Hmmm. Using the reader in meetings to have a little get-away. Never thought of that before...

As for the light, I also found that positioning the light source so that the center of the LEDs shine slightly right above the readers rim gives me the littlest glare.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:28 AM   #13
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
Hmmm. Using the reader in meetings to have a little get-away. Never thought of that before...

As for the light, I also found that positioning the light source so that the center of the LEDs shine slightly right above the readers rim gives me the littlest glare.
I get most of my reading done during meetings - I love the 20 point agenda ones!
WTR reading light, I've got Sony built-ins for both PRS-300 and 900. I must admit that it works much better for the PRS-300 then the 900. PRS-300 is just right size to get plenty of light.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote