Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #256
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm a bit behind my goal. I need to buy fewer books in the second half of the year.
I remember discussing exactly this issue in previous years, and you said exactly the same thing in previous years.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #257
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I remember discussing exactly this issue in previous years, and you said exactly the same thing in previous years.
This is true. Just because I recognise the problem doesn't mean I'm able to fix it.

OTOH, I'm doing better than last year at this time.
Advert
Old 07-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #258
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I'm lagging this year.

Of course, there are reasons... but aren't there always?

Is fine, this is more of a way to keep track of what I read. I am not in competition with myself nor anyone else.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #259
jselby
Zealot
jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage | Samsug GT4
Well... I've met my initial goal for this year. This is the first year I've kept track of the books I've completed, and the first year I've set any kind of reading goal. I really had no idea how much I typically read, but I knew my reading ebbs and flows throughout the year. When I set my goal I just went with a "1 book per month" goal to start with.

I'm amending my goal to 24 novels this year. I'm loosely defining "novel" as > 150 pages and will not include technical books I read related to my job.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:45 AM   #260
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jselby View Post
Well... I've met my initial goal for this year. This is the first year I've kept track of the books I've completed, and the first year I've set any kind of reading goal.
Congratulations! Have you found keeping track of the books rewarding?
Advert
Old 07-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #261
jselby
Zealot
jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage | Samsug GT4
Quote:
Congratulations! Have you found keeping track of the books rewarding?
It has been interesting. I've also been using goodreads to keep track of progress (when i remember to) just to see how that goes.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #262
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I think I'm on track with books read. My challenge was to first record all books read, and so far I have. Also read more Non Fiction & Biography's. I can see I'm doing well in the Non Fiction so far, but need to add more Biography's. So I'll add more of those to my challenge.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #263
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Another Non fiction WW2 book read, " The ZOOKEEPERS WIFE " by Diane Ackerman. Great book and soon to be made movie. I don't know why but I seem to be reading more WW2 books that are true accounts. Another that was similar in intensity was " Five Days That Shocked the World ", by Nicholas Best. Not easy books to read. I have another lined up but it's fiction. Still not an easy book to read in the same time period. I won't read it for a while though. I need cozy books now.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #264
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
If you like thrillers, I suspect Ken Follett's Eye of the Needle holds up well. I think it's his best. If you like YA, The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin is a lot of fun.
Thanks for the recommendation. The Eye of the Needle was very good and completed my list. Now to start going backwards... only a few more years till I have read a book from every year since my father was born.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #265
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Seven months in! I'm not going to finish any current reads before tomorrow night, so I am posting this now.

I had a nice rebound from a somewhat stagnant June. 1865 pages in June and 4384 in July. I'm also continuing to chip away at the non-American author goal. As of today, 56% of my reads this year have been from Americans. That's down from 2/3 in June.

How's everyone else doing?

(Geeky images attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pages Per Month.PNG
Views:	114
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	158165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Genre Breakdown.PNG
Views:	136
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	158166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Country Breakdown.PNG
Views:	110
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	158167  
Old 07-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #266
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I also won't be finishing another book before August 1. July has been a good month, again I've read a little bit more pages than on average, which means that I'm now 2500 pages ahead of average (not bad for a reading challenge gap year). I've read seven books and one short story. Two books were longer than 500 pages (573 pages and 1337 pages) and one book that was 497 pages. So that's a good score and increased the average page count per book nicely (386 pages). The trend of rereading books is continuing, I've reread two books in July and I'm still in a horror and paranormal phase.

During the last five months of last year I had a bit of a reading dip, only one month I managed to read more than 3000 pages. I'm curious how I will end this year.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:14 PM   #267
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm just 1 book ahead of my goal so far. I need to do more reading. I've not been reading enough recently.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:05 AM   #268
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
My TBR is on the way down too - currently ten down on the start of the year!
Quote:
I currently have a net reduction of 14 in my TBR. That puts me on course for a TBR reduction of 68, and my goal is 47. So I'm on target so far! My 'stretch' goal would be 63, so I'm even on target for that.
Quote:
An omnibus or two, and my TBR reduction is down to 13.
Quote:
I've lost ground on my challenge in April. I shall have to do much better in May.
Quote:
I actually finished May with my TBR down by 12 over the start of the year. (I finished another book last night.)
Quote:
I'm a bit behind my goal. I need to buy fewer books in the second half of the year.

So it's been a bit down and up this year for me. But here we are at the end of July, and my TBR is down 15 on the start of the year, which is the best it's been this year. But with only five months left to go, my goal of a reduction of at least 47 looks unlikely. I'd need to reduce my TBR by over six books per month!

We shall see.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:12 AM   #269
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
A relatively quiet month for me - my lowest total books read, and page count - but that's mainly because I've been banking pages against next month, rather than that I've been reading less.

Another decent month in terms of not buying much, though - just 3 purchases - so I'm nicely up on my TBR goals.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:08 PM   #270
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm right on target for 150 books this year, well up into my 'stretch' goals. That part is going well. And I've taken steps to control my audio book spending, by spending a chunk at AudibleUK to buy 24 credits. Will bring my per book credit cost way down. Of course, it means I'm actually buying MORE audio books, so it's perhaps not such a great cost savings.

The other goal, of keeping close track of my reading and purchasing here? Not so good. This is always a problem area, and I just don't get around to actually entering in the books. Which leads to forgetting things, making it harder to track against my other goals. Sigh. Well, just have to keep on keeping on, and try harder.
Closed Thread