Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
g-funkster
g-funkster began at the beginning.

Kobo Touch: Show the Time / Clock - How?

Hello everyone,

Just got a Kobo Touch and am really excited by it. I had an original 3G Nook, but the design of the new Kobo got me to switch platforms.

SO! Does anyone have a quick and easy way to view the time? I'm spoiled by the Nook showing the time at the top right of the page at all times while the device is on. Is there a hidden setting for this? Even when I load the menu the time is not shown, just the signal strength/airplane logo.

Appreciate any tips, thanks all.
g-funkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
No option to do this right now. I think a lot of us are hoping it's added in a firmware update.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
what lunch tray said. Though wont it kill the battery faster since something is always moving, since in theory the battery is only used when you turn the page
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes101 View Post
what lunch tray said. Though wont it kill the battery faster since something is always moving, since in theory the battery is only used when you turn the page
Just make it so that the clock only updates when you turn the page. This should be more than adequate unless you have some need to know the time to the exact second.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
Mithradyr
Enthusiast
Mithradyr doesn't litterMithradyr doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
I previously suggested that they should place the time at the top of the reading menu (the one that is opened by tapping in the center of the screen). This would make it easily accessible from any book being read, while maintaining battery life and remaining unobtrusive.
Mithradyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
g-funkster
g-funkster began at the beginning.

I'm pumped about the feedback here! Sad, though, to hear there's currently no solution other than Home->Settings->Date & Time.

I'd totally be happy if Kobo implemented something like Mithradyr's suggestion, seems a good compromise for battery life and it doesn't affect the reading area.
g-funkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Just make it so that the clock only updates when you turn the page. This should be more than adequate unless you have some need to know the time to the exact second.
ah, that makes sense
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
You could pin or glue a small watch or clock to your kobo case. This is just a common sense none programmer solution.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes101 View Post
They could do by placing it at the top or bottom bars that are displayed when you middle tap... that ought to be sufficient, and would limit batt use as it would only be visible when menu access is selected, plus they could also restrict it by only updating on minutes.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
While we would like this option as well, for technical reasons, it is unlikely that it would be added. To preserve/extend battery life the device suspends and stops updating the screen after some short period of inactivity, in such a case keeping the screen powered at all times to update the time would decrease battery life.
To draw a comparison this would be the same as leaving the back-lit/screen on your cellphone on permanently.
To only update the time periodically (eg only on page turns) would probably lead to confusion.

Last edited by MDK; 08-10-2011 at 10:11 AM.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
deleted (irrelevant post)

Last edited by viviena; 08-10-2011 at 10:36 AM.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Or you could have it update once a minute which would be a miniscule drain on the battery.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
@the.Mtn.Man: I think he was saying that the timeout for "okay, stop using energy worrying about the screen now" is longer than one minute. Even though it wouldn't actually be tweaking pixels, it would be "concerned with" (how to phrase that?) the screen until the timeout expires.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
While we would like this option as well, for technical reasons, it is unlikely that it would be added. To preserve/extend battery life the device suspends and stops updating the screen after some short period of inactivity, in such a case keeping the screen powered at all times to update the time would decrease battery life.
To draw a comparison this would be the same as leaving the back-lit/screen on your cellphone on permanently.
To only update the time periodically (eg only on page turns) would probably lead to confusion.
The suggestions to display the time when you open the menu via middle clicking the screen would be a good choice.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchtray View Post
The suggestions to display the time when you open the menu via middle clicking the screen would be a good choice.
Agreed. Common practice.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote