Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 05-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #46
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
Their companion ebook site - coolerbooks.com -seems to allow choosing several different readers and restricts titles which will not work with the selected reader. The only format I have found is Adobe Digital Editions. I'm wondering if Adobe is backing this venture.
Click your PC and you will also see Microsoft LIT as a choice.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #47
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
However it is still very unclear, where did they get the library of 750,000 titles...
I think they are selling some of the Google ePUB. That would make about 500,000 right there.

Dale
Old 05-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #48
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Teleread references a FT.com article (Cool-er e-reader takes on the Kindle) which provides slightly more believable ebook figures: However, browsing Coolerbooks.com, with all ebook formats selected, does not give me the impression that they have 260K titles.
Try entering one letter in the search bar and it will show all books starting with that letter in the title. I can be pretty easy to add up their totals.

Dale
Old 05-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #49
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
It is an early version of the Astak Mentor Lite, built by Netronix, debuting next month BUT with no Netronix Software... it is their own and not as good. Suspect that this device also uses what is known in the panel business as a "B Grade Panel", cheap but fuzzy with lower resolution. A "B Grade" is a panel that was rejected by the factory as not good enough. Also will not have Adobe Digital Editions on it. There are numerous other differences, all of which are minuses and not additions.
Well, the fact that something uses "Netronix software" doesn't mean that it's any good. Bookin Cybook doesn't use Netronix software, neither does PocketBook - both are Netronix hardware clones, just as Astak Mentor or FoxIt eSlick, with rather advanced firmwares. There are many Netronix clones out there, rebranded for different OEMs, so this being a Netronix clone is not a reason to badmouth your competitor.

Your statement that the reader is "not as good" has no basis in fact whatsoever. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't - no one knows yet. You are wrong about the ADE, however.

As far as "A-Grade panel" VS "B-Grade panel", you may be right, or wrong, and I suspect you have no idea which one it is. They may be using a different business model, such as subsidizing the hardware cost in order to make it up in content sales. We don't know who is backing them, and who is behind their ebook content library.

Last edited by porkupan; 05-14-2009 at 05:43 PM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #50
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Suspect that this device also uses what is known in the panel business as a "B Grade Panel", cheap but fuzzy with lower resolution. A "B Grade" is a panel that was rejected by the factory as not good enough. Also will not have Adobe Digital Editions on it. There are numerous other differences, all of which are minuses and not additions.
Do you have some proof to back that up? Because otherwise it's only a slander, what's more, coming from a representative of a competing company. Can't say I like your way of doing bussiness.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #51
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
From Coolerbooks.com's Terms and Conditions page:
7 DELIVERY

1. Goods supplied within the UK will normally be delivered within ten working days of acceptance of order.
2. Goods supplied outside the UK will normally be delivered within twenty working days of acceptance of order.
8 CANCELLATION AND RETURN

2. The Buyer shall inspect the Goods immediately upon receipt and shall notify the Seller by email to customer.services@Coolerbooks.com within 7 days if the Goods are damaged or do not comply with any of the Contract. If the Buyer fails to do so the Buyer shall be deemed to have accepted the Goods.
3. Where a claim of defect or damage is made, the Goods shall be returned by the Buyer to the Seller within 28 days of delivery. The Buyer shall be entitled to a replacement or a full refund (including delivery costs) plus any return postal charges if the Goods are in fact defective.
I suspect they grabbed a set of standard business terms and didn't bother to think about what that meant for ebooks. Hey look--if the book is badly formatted, you can return it for a refund! However, they might take almost three weeks to allow you access to the books you buy from them.

I can't find a thing on their site mentioning DRM, or the need to install special software to get access to some of the books.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #52
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post

I can't find a thing on their site mentioning DRM, or the need to install special software to get access to some of the books.
They seem to require you to put in the type of device. From that they can tell if your unit supports DRM or not. You can enter multiple devices if you wish.

Dale
Old 05-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #53
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
They seem to require you to put in the type of device. From that they can tell if your unit supports DRM or not. You can enter multiple devices if you wish.

Dale
"Supports DRM" is not the same as "your device can read this ebook." I don't have ADE registered (and am not planning to do so), and don't have Microsoft Reader installed on my computer--but when I add PC to the list, it shows me books in Microsoft Reader. (Including public domain books that they only offer in MS Reader.)

I understand that they're expecting users to just buy books and push "install whatever I need to read this" buttons, but I don't have to like it.

And, of course, since they don't mention the existence of DRM at all, there's no way to tell which of their books are and aren't DRM'd.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #54
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quick note: going through searching by titles for each letter of the alphabet (7404 "A" books, 4565 "B" books, etc.) gets a total of 87,867 ebooks. Which is rather a bit short of 750,000, even if they count multiple filetypes as multiple books. I rather imagine they don't offer 9+ filetypes for each.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #55
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Quick note: going through searching by titles for each letter of the alphabet (7404 "A" books, 4565 "B" books, etc.) gets a total of 87,867 ebooks. Which is rather a bit short of 750,000, even if they count multiple filetypes as multiple books. I rather imagine they don't offer 9+ filetypes for each.
Did you perform a search on 0-9 as well?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #56
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I'm sure they were counting supported ebooks from other sources as well.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #57
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Too bad it doesn't have a large screen. Love the violet color one, but I have no need for yet another small ereader.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #58
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I'm sure they were counting supported ebooks from other sources as well.
From the Coolreader FAQs:

Where can I buy eBook titles?

The largest selection of titles is at coolerBOOKS.com, where over 750,000 eBooks are available in a variety of common formats...
Old 05-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #59
rrburton
Connoisseur
rrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad
Order?

So, has anyone ordered one yet?

I have been lurking here for a few months. Wanting to get an ereader and have been leaning towards Sony, but....

I like the sleekness of the 700 but not the dim image
I like the image on the 505 but not the "too many buttons" on the front.

This Coolreader seems to fit my desires. I think it's gonna be my choice. I don't think content format is going to be a problem for me, I'll be just tracking down free content and using Chicago Public Library (once i get a card). ePub should be fine.

What am I omitting?
rrburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #60
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Might want to wait for a real review, although it certainly looks nice (oooooh, pretty!)

The fact that they're flat out lying about the number of books available is not a good sign, IMHO. Deceitful and unnecessary. Not sure I would trust the company, is all I'm saying.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote