Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #16
mario40
Enthusiast
mario40 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: no e-reader
[QUOTE=HarryT;252041]No. Newspapers don't sell content that way.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you mean with "Newspapers don't sell content that way." ?

I have subscriptions in different countries in Europe exactly as described in my last thread.

The question is if a terminal like the iLiad 2 is able to download in the same way as a PC/Mac this newspapers from the internet.
mario40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #17
mario40
Enthusiast

e-reader for e-paper - key question

[QUOTE=HarryT;252041]No. Newspapers don't sell content that way.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harry, what did you mean with "Newspapers don't sell content that way." ?

Last edited by mario40; 09-13-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:37 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If your question is "can the iLiad download files from the Internet", the answer is "yes", if you install a web browser on it.

I have never come across a newspaper that sells content this way. If you say that they do exist, then fine, I stand corrected.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:58 AM   #19
mario40
Enthusiast

e-reader for e-paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If your question is "can the iLiad download files from the Internet", the answer is "yes", if you install a web browser on it.

I have never come across a newspaper that sells content this way. If you say that they do exist, then fine, I stand corrected.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harry, I know German, Swiss, Austrian and Italian newspaper and magazins mainly. There is the Adobe PDF format mainly used. I looked in few British and U.S.newspaper, where in fact other formats are used.

Good to know we have different formats in the e-paper market for newspaper. Something we have to experience with many electronic products again and again to make life easier :-(.

Regarding the iLiad: How can you enter with this terminal to an URL without a web browser? If there is no web browser installed, can we load any web browser to the iLiad or are there limitations existing?
Old 09-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario40 View Post
Regarding the iLiad: How can you enter with this terminal to an URL without a web browser? If there is no web browser installed, can we load any web browser to the iLiad or are there limitations existing?
Now that you've narrowed your focus to the iLiad, you might get more feedback by posting your questions in the iLiad forum where more actual users will see it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #21
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario40 View Post
I have been sending you all over these forums, but I agree with daffy4u that reposting your post #14 in the Iliad forum may get more responses. What you want to do definitely is possible using the iLiad, the only question is whether it is practical - i.e. does it need more scripting than you want to do or is WiFi too flaky when on travel. In general, wget is likely to be better than a web browser at downloading a PDF to the iLiad, but you need to know the exact HTML address of the PDF to do this. There are web browsers available for the iLiad, but I have never tried downloading a PDF using one.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:07 AM   #22
mario40
Enthusiast

E-reader for e-paper newspaper and magazins ?

Hello,

after looking for several weeks for an e-reader for reading of various international newspaper and magazins, I decided to give up at this time. I spent to much time and I will wait until there is a specific newspaper e-reader available.

I will continue to read newspaper including their RSS feeds and magazins with my computers with LCD monitors and my iPhone (RSS only).

There is definitely no any e-ink terminal available for this application for routine use. In addition so far is no standard e-paper format used by the various editing houses of newspaper.

The technical support for all e-reader for customers before the purchase is lousy. No answers, worthless answers, no way to found a store to see the products. To many re-seller, manufactors without support organissations (excluding Sony). It remainds me to the early days with PC`s.

All e-reader are so far mainly e-book reader. The market seems to be driven so far in many cases by e-book vendors. You can read only specific newspaper, e.g. a Dutch newspaper with the iLiad from iRex or few French newspaper with the Ganaxa (?) (or mybe also with the iLiad).

If you are willing and able to load specific programs or to write commands for a terminal than you may found a solution with one of the existing products. Even than remains the question about the quality of reading (newspaper format, letter size, ect).

Thank you for your help in this forum.

Tags
duck!, puppy!