Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Kindle Fire HD Tips & Tricks & How-To's

OK folks - let's start building up this thread for the new Fire HD - especially for stuff that has changed significantly from the 1st generation Fire or that is brand new.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll lead off ... since I see that Amazon has finally updated their Kindle Fire HD Support page .... (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201022260)

[this drove me nuts for almost a week!]
[the page originally said you had to be running Vista or 7 to access your Fire HD via a USB cable]

If you are trying to connect your Fire HD to a PC running XP, you HAVE to update to Windows Media Player 11 - in order to see the folders and move stuff from your PC to the Fire HD.

Otherwise the Fire HD is recognized only as a Media Playing device and you can't move files onto it.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Sorry for double posting. I didn't see this Sticky earlier when I posted this:

40 Tips and Tricks for Kindle Fire HD: http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...indle-fire-hd/

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-21-2012 at 06:00 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
An alternate launcher that is working with the KFHD without rooting:

ADW Launcher EX, you can download the apk from 4shared.com (version 1.3.3 if I remember correctly).

It will add an icon to the list of apps and you can also leave it on the carousel as well to access it afterwards. You will not see it when hitting the home button like one did with an alternate launcher on the original KF if I remember correctly.

Last edited by robertc88; 09-20-2012 at 08:37 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?

There are threads on this in the Calibre forum, but I'll post here too.

If you have Calibre running on a Windows XP PC, Calibre will not recognize your HD. Kovid has released some new drivers to deal with this. (Look here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190982).

You must:
1. Update to Windows Media Player 11
2. Install today's Calibre update (and probably subsequent updates if Kovid continues to tweak code for XP)
Old 09-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
This is not in the user guide, but to reorganize or move your favorites around, push and hold the icon until the menu pops up, then just drag it where you want.

I'm having trouble sideloading DRM'd ebooks. On the first Fire I was able to install GetJar, install the Nook app, then install other epub ebooks through ADE and they would show up in the Nook app. On this one I was able to install GetJar and the Nook app but only able to drag non-DRM'd books to the Nook app My Documents folder. I I do that with a book with DRM it shows up but when I try to open it says "user not authorized." In fact, when I hook up the Fire HD to my computer and open ADE it does not even recognize it. Any ideas? I am running Windows XP but already had Windows Media Player 11 installed.

Last edited by NightBird; 09-21-2012 at 09:44 PM.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
ChuckChic
ChuckChic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
OK here goes my first post!

ES file explorer which you can find on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/EStrongs-Inc-E.../dp/B004HN2FY0) or Google play (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.pop&hl=en)

I downloaded mine straight from Amazon app store, and as of today Oct 14th it was free. It helps me access screenshots as well as photos and videos I make with the camera. I can access the documents also with this, but I can also access the documents directly using the Kindle Fire HD menu.

Will come back when I find more

EDIT Oct 27th: Just hours ago, I found a website with a lot of tips and tricks on http://tabletxray.com/never-ending-l...indle-fire-hd/ The nice thing about this is that there are screenshots and step by step instructions. I found at least 4 tips that I didn't know about. With a little gadget you can even make your KFHD 3G, never thought about it!

Last edited by ChuckChic; 10-27-2012 at 10:13 AM.
ChuckChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
ES File Explorer also a great tool to use in the context of side loading apps.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
It is also helpful for changing wallpapers for alternative launchers.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckChic View Post
OK here goes my first post!

ES file explorer which you can find on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/EStrongs-Inc-E.../dp/B004HN2FY0) or Google play (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.pop&hl=en)

I downloaded mine straight from Amazon app store, and as of today Oct 14th it was free. It helps me access screenshots as well as photos and videos I make with the camera. I can access the documents also with this, but I can also access the documents directly using the Kindle Fire HD menu.

Will come back when I find more
Thanks for that info.

What are you using to take the pictures with, with what App?
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
ChuckChic

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Thanks for that info.

What are you using to take the pictures with, with what App?
You mean like, am I using a Camera app? I didn't install a special camera app, I open the camera also using ES file explorer (EFE). When you open EFE, there is this app manager and you can see the camera icon there. You just open it and take pics, vids. Videos are 1080p, but the quality is not all that great! Plus the fact that it's a front camera and there is no rear camera doesn't help either.

Is there a camera app that you would recommend?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
ChuckChic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
care to elaborate a little more?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
care to elaborate a little more?
Once you place an application's .apk file on your KFHD you need a file manager of some sort to be able to locate it and launch the installer .apk.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #14
ChuckChic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Once you place an application's .apk file on your KFHD you need a file manager of some sort to be able to locate it and launch the installer .apk.
OK I see what you mean!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #15
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
You mean like, am I using a Camera app? I didn't install a special camera app, I open the camera also using ES file explorer (EFE). When you open EFE, there is this app manager and you can see the camera icon there. You just open it and take pics, vids. Videos are 1080p, but the quality is not all that great! Plus the fact that it's a front camera and there is no rear camera doesn't help either.

Is there a camera app that you would recommend?
I didn't realize there was a camera icon in the ES folder. I only used it for opening .apk files. I will have to look at it better.

It sounds like you don't need a camera App if you can use it that way. Amazon has a few for the camera, I haven't really explored that yet.
new is offline   Reply With Quote