Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Chromebook Pro, Note 10 Lite
eReader accessory that needs to be developed...

In my opinion, there's still a really great and simple accessory for eReader enthusiasts and handicapped persons - that as far as I'm aware hasn't been implemented into eReaders yet. I think it would be great to have a corded remote page turn device, similar to a remote camera shutter trigger. If you have arthritis, or some similar issue where it may be difficult to hold the eReader for extended periods, or if you can't hold it easily, you can just nestle the eReader somewhere, and rest your hands in a position that would be comfortable for you. The device would have a simple page forward and page backward button - that's all! I imagine it probably wouldn't be too impossible to hack current eReaders into doing this as well... Thoughts?
dhume01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Excellent idea and not just for disabled people. I'd love a nifty little page-turning remote myself and I would think it would be very easy to implement, at least on future readers, via the USB port.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhume01 View Post
In my opinion, there's still a really great and simple accessory for eReader enthusiasts and handicapped persons - that as far as I'm aware hasn't been implemented into eReaders yet. I think it would be great to have a corded remote page turn device, similar to a remote camera shutter trigger. If you have arthritis, or some similar issue where it may be difficult to hold the eReader for extended periods, or if you can't hold it easily, you can just nestle the eReader somewhere, and rest your hands in a position that would be comfortable for you. The device would have a simple page forward and page backward button - that's all! I imagine it probably wouldn't be too impossible to hack current eReaders into doing this as well... Thoughts?
I agree that would be nice. Perhaps a Bluetooth version, and throw in "voice command" ability as well. If you were reading alone it would be nice to just say "next" and the page turns...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
People have thought of such things before, however it is such an incredibly small niche market. Most people wouldn't bother because they're normally already holding the device, or at very least within arms reach.

As far as getting it on existing devices, it isn't as simple as you think. If you're to use USB, then the device has to have USB host capabilities. Most ebook readers currently available do not have this. If that is the case, then you'd have to have software to talk to the device, and respond to it, even if it adheres to USB HID standards. That part is easier to do, but still a bit of a challenge.

Basically though, for most companies, too few people would be willing to buy such an accessory to make it worth while to develop.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Two of my ereaders have the capability of turning pages themselves.

First my Astak Pocket Pro will automatically turn the page if you have the TTS read for you. Unfortunately, the page turning is a lot slower than I read.

And my Aluratec Libre has automatic page turning with a setting to choose how frequently to turn the page.

The downside is that these are automatic, not user controllable. If you get distracted or need to read a paragraph again, the page turning is not going to wait for you.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
This is a very good idea. I would also like a few more dedicated reader holders with adjustable arms, for similar reasons.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Yes, it would be great
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:58 AM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
If the reader has physical buttons as wel as / instead of touch screen etc.., it might be possible to rig a remote command to some kind of physical device? To press on the button? Or is that too clunky a proposition.... Wouldn't need to be enormous.

I can see that some disabilities would find something like a remote function a real boon.

[ Actually I just rushed off and tried the theory on a 650, with one of those things for picking up litter - it does actually work, much to my surprise ! Over to the engineers ? ]
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
It should be easy, and I think there would be a market. Many people like to read on the treadmill, and don't want to press the button to turn the page. A remote control that plugs into the device's USB port would be easy enough to build. It might require the manufacturer to update the firmware to support it.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:54 AM   #10
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
You could make something like the Frankenkindle keypad but instead of wiring in a physical big keypad use something like Dragon Naturally Speaking to send a signal to some device wired into the kindle keys.

I would be happy if I could use Speech Recognition on the kindle for PC. I can use it to open Kindle PC and to turn the pages but I cannot select or open the books with it. I wish either Amazon and/or Microsoft work work at making them fully compatable.

As for being a niche market that is true. There is a program called Zoom Text which magnifies and reads aloud computer screens. Because it is a niche product for the visually impaired it costs $700 but it is still produced and marketed. If you need something like that you need it and simply have to swallow the cost.

Last edited by crossi; 02-01-2012 at 04:58 AM.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This might be one of those things that could find itself being mandated into future devices under tools like the Accessibility Act. If those who desire it in the U.S. petition the government, for example, they would review the requirement, probably spend some time reviewing technological solutions, and if determined reasonably feasible, add it to their list of accessibility requirements.

Unfortunately, the requirements are not always mandatory for all manufacturers; it often depends on whether they interact with or supply tools to the government, in which case, they must comply (ie, if Amazon was supplying Kindles to the Federal government under contract, they'd have to institute the accessibility requirements... if not, they could legally ignore them).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Hmmm. I am a bit against mandated. Could drive up price which would affect the financially challenged.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
It wouldn't need to be costly at all. The remote would need to send a command to the device via the USB port. The reader would just need a firmware update to recognize these signals and respond as if the button was pressed. For example, you click the Next Page button on the remote, and a signal is sent to the reader. It recognizes the signal, and turns the page.

I would use a wired remote that plugs into the USB port of the reader.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhume01 View Post
In my opinion, there's still a really great and simple accessory for eReader enthusiasts and handicapped persons - that as far as I'm aware hasn't been implemented into eReaders yet. I think it would be great to have a corded remote page...
There is the device that crich70 mentions in this thread
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #15
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Chromebook Pro, Note 10 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
There is the device that crich70 mentions in this thread
That's a depressingly expensive workaround. If only I knew how to write code myself...
dhume01 is offline   Reply With Quote