Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
turelur
turelur began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Possible to store Kindle annotations IN ebook file

Hi. First of all, I really hope I am doing this right, posting in this section of the forum. Please accept my apologies, should this not be the case. Secondly, I have a strange feeling the solution to my problem might be very simple indeed, because I haven't been able to find anything helpful wherever I looked (so perhaps I am the only one with this particular question). Here goes:

I would like to make the annotations and notes I make while reading on my Paperwhite 'stick' to the MOBI-files themselves, so I can view them in other readers (e.g. Clearview), edit them and move them back to the Kindle. Is this possible? I have used the annotations plug-in, but this stores the notes in a meta data section, which other readers do not convert into actual highlights and the like.

If my idea is not feasible, what do you suggest is a good workflow to create a central library of ebooks which I can read/annotate with various devices and apps?

I really appreciate your help!

Last edited by turelur; 08-14-2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo
turelur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Annotations are really difficult to transfer. The best way really, is to use the Kindle app and sync annotations between devices from within the ecosystem.

There are setups ranging from the simple to the exotic for extracting annotations from various sources into text files or calibre metadata columns, but very little for importing them.

Any one service will usually have a way to transfer annotations between the different available apps/devices, but that's about it.

You can embed a metadata jacket with calibre, that contains custom columns and shows up as a page in the book. Does that help?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2014, 05:37 AM   #3
turelur

Hey, thank you for the quick response! I have imported my annotations into Calibre already, but as far as I can see other readers cannot turn this metadata into actual highlights within the text.
So is there no way to have a virtual bookshelf with books that I can read again and again and which will keep the annotations, bookmarks, comments, the whole tear and wear?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, you can -- just only within one ecosystem.

Marvin (iOS app) and Mantano (Android app) and Moon+ Pro (Android app) and doubtless others can all transfer annotations -- between one instance and another. Getting it between ereaders is a little trickier. Everyone is pulling in opposite directions, you see.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
I often have to edit the epub file after reading, adding popup footnotes. It's kind of manual and long process. There is no plugin/addon yet to make it easier.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
turelur

Thank you all for your input! It just seems like a natural thing to expand the information of one particular book by the comments and highlights added to it. The way it seems to be now is like iPhoto: You edit pictures, but only in a virtual realm that has nothing to do with the actual files on your hard disk. So when you send the file to someone, all the annotations stay behind. A bit like a librarian's dream.
Ok, I guess I have to live with what I have and just stick to one ecosystem.

Thanks again.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #7
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
This is why I prefer to convert books to PDF if I am going to annotate them. That way I can make annotations stick.
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:26 AM   #8
turelur

But you can't highlight text on the Kindle then, right? Plus, metadata like book covers and such are a problem, afaik.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:57 PM   #9
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
I read that kind of book on ipad or my Windows 8 tablet. No problem there to annotate (I use PDF Expert on ipad and Drawboard PDF on Windows 8). When I convert the book to PDF using calibre, metadata and cover are all included. For existing files, the new option "Embed metadata" can be used (or sending it to device or a folder does the same). The only manual step that might be needed is if you want to add a cover to a book that is already in PDF format.
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turelur View Post
But you can't highlight text on the Kindle then, right? Plus, metadata like book covers and such are a problem, afaik.
You can highlight/annotate PDF on the Kindle.

book covers and other metadata are still a pain in the neck, yes.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #11
EnergyLens
Hack
EnergyLens began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite
turelur ~

I just posted an annotations hack that may lead in the direction you are suggesting:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=249596

I think you are right about it seeming natural that books should be able to travel with markup/highlights... even third party reviews and criticism!
EnergyLens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotations, calibre, kindle, paperwhite