Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #31
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I re-read my keepers esp if they are series! Not sure I get them as freebies or from library. Tho I noticed Libraies are Geared to Sell ebooks! 1-2 in middle of a series! cripe! Stripping DRM is Peace of mind for me! Amazon closes their doors I still have my ebooks!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #32
weltonsfancy
Enthusiast
weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If I read something in Swedish, I'd never remember it. But then, I wouldn't know what I was reading in the first place.
weltonsfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #33
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Is it something you eat? Mouth is above the navel.

I feel fairly sure that you would enjoy a nibble or two.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I feel fairly sure that you would enjoy a nibble or two.
At this point, I'm fairly certain it isn't appropriate for this board. Some things are best kept private.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #35
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
While I am a bit on the ancient side, I still remember much of a book's content. Sometimes, if rereading, I know before turning a page what the first words on it will be.

I derive pleasure and comfort from familiar characters etc. but would rather it was a new to me book.

Music to me is not all about the words, and the pleasure derived seldom by me has much to do with the lyrics. Plus I have never been able to carry a tune, even in my head, so often a song or instrumental is not totally familiar even if I have heard it 500 times.

I do not feel sorry for rereaders, if it is enjoyable then by all means why not, and it sure must save a few bucks

Lucky for me there are many many books that I haven't read yet, and that I really, really want to read. If there wasn't I would perhaps envy those who thoroughly enjoy rereading and rewatching.

I don't even pity those who choose not to read. They seem just as happy with their own methods of entertainment. Not my place to judge otherwise.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #36
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I reread a lot - about 50% of the books I read are ones I have read before. It is like visiting old friends...
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #37
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm curious. A question for those who never re-read: do you also never listen to a piece of music more than once? If you do, what's the difference with a book?
I listen to music over and over but very rarely re-read.

Me reading a book only once is related to how much I can consume in a space of time and how much I would like to consume. I'm a long way from even reading all the books I have on my bookshelf without even considering the electronic books I have in my collection. And I want to eventually read all of them.

Music for me is a bit different. I love music - and I write my own music. However, because it takes a relatively short time to consume an individual piece it's quite easy to consume all the music I have and experience that music many times.

There's a few power readers who can consume books quite quickly. That would work well for me as I'd love to revisit some books.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #38
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
It is actually above the navel, not beneath.
Does it have anything to do with Bas Rutten? (You can never go wrong with Bas. He ruled the TV in Grand Theft Auto IV.)
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #39
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Sorry, don't do games. Bored with Angry Birds after a few sessions.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #40
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Additionally, text is not nearly as exiting as audio or video. While I rarely reread the same book, I will listen to an audiobook more than once.
I find text much more exciting than audio and video and re-read more books than I re-watch movies.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #41
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
I very rarely re-read a book, and if I do accidentally start one I've already read I quit as soon as I realize. There's something about knowing what's going to happen takes all the fun out of it. I guess I'm the same with movies; I'll very seldom re-watch a movie unless it's an exceptionally good "Classic" I haven't seen for a while.

The one notable exception is I recently re-read Bryce Courtenay's Power of One. It's the concensus among several family members that, if you like inspirational books, this is one of the best. It was thoroughly enjoyable (although I must add that apart from a few key scenes, I'd forgotten most of it!)
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #42
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
1. I have a wife and two kids, and they might want to read some of my books at some point in the future.
2. I sometimes want to refer back to a book. For instance, I might vaguely remember a quote or some dialogue, and want to get the full quote. Also, I have quite a lot of reference and non-fiction, where being able to refer to the book is pretty much the point of having the book in the first place.
1 doesn't apply to me, and 2 seems to so rare that it's not worth the inconvenience.

I rarely reread because there are so many new books I want to read.

I do, in fact, care about DRM, but not enough to want to undermine one of the big pluses of the kindle: the ease of acquiring new books. I am on my iPad right now. If I want a new book on my kindle, I can go to the amazon website and click a button, and next time I'm using the kindle it will appear. Why on earth would I want to add extra layers of work to that, downloading to PC, importing into calibre, and side loading? The convenience is one of the best things about the kindle.

(I don't have the same issue with the kobo, because it doesn't have that convenience - my wifi has never worked properly, for a start - but that's also why I've only bought 5 books from kobo.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #43
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
1 doesn't apply to me, and 2 seems to so rare that it's not worth the inconvenience.
Thanks for the answer.

Personally, I don't find removing DRM to be an inconvenience. I want all my books in Calibre anyway, because that's my primary method of organisation (I only keep a few books on my Kindle), and the plugins mean that DRM is removed automagically, without any extra effort on my part. I'm interested to hear other views, though, which is why I started this thread in the first place.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I just can't imagine never re-reading a favourite book. It would be denying myself the company of an old friend. Sure, there's a lot to be said for making new friends, but not at the price of cutting yourself off from your old ones.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #45
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One of the great benefits of advancing age is that I can re-read detective stories, because I've forgotten the outcome!
(I'm sorry, avantman)
I sometimes re-read detective stories but for the opposite reason: When I am very impressed by the solution (positively as well as negatively) I read it again almost immediately and search for all the hints that have been layed out (or not) but that I have overlooked. This can be very interesting and instructing!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote