Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #1
Reader001
Reader001 began at the beginning.

Device: Android Moon+ Reader
Moon+ Reader Multi Device Sync

Has anyone managed to sync Highlights/Notes between devices successfully?

Gdrive and Dropbox don't seem to do them at all.

I've managed to export (share) them to a file from the Bookmarks screen and then copy them to another device and then import them. Doing this though sets the date.time of them to now, and also even though they can be viewed in bookmarks they don't display on the book. It's like it's lost the links to which page they were on..

TIA
Reader001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:38 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
the program does it for you , if working correctly, via the sync to dropbox/ g drive cloud feature. it uses a small file, in cloud, one per book
report any bug to program author
you can examine those cloud files with a suitable program yourself, as a further check
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
fretjes
fretjes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Kindle Touch, OnePlus 3, Samsung Galaxy S6
TIA, i use Moon reader myself in combo with Dropbox and it works perfect.
1.go to Miscellaneous options, and on the bottoms checkbox : sync readding positions via Dropbox.
2. click on the options sign and check your data, amend it if necessary and you can also opt for a copy on dropbox and press oke.
3. then Moonreader connects you to Dropbox and ask if it is alright to grant access.
That's all there is to it.
However if things are not working contact the author/developer of moonreader via Email and you will get an answer quite quickly.
Please let us know about the result
gr fred
fretjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:23 AM   #4
gandu45
gandu45 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Hi guys, just joined this great site recently and what a revelation it has been.

I am just trying Moon Reader Pro which I bought after reading this forum. I am just not sure about how to set it up (reading pdfs is easy but not sure about the syncing method) and was hoping for some help.
So I have approximately 12Gb of PDFs that I routinely annotate and was after some cross platform program that allows me to annotate it on my android phone and a webbrowser or PC. Reputedly, Moon Reader pro seems to fit the bill. I just wanted to clarify, that I only read a small amount and annotate a small amount per time, multiple times a day - So I am hoping that moon reader only syncs annotations rather than the full pdf files (from the mobile phone to PC and vice versa)

I am also not sure how to setup the MoonReader (have the latest version) or get these files onto dropbox/MoonReader combo.
Now the pdfs are stored on the PC, as well as copy pasted to the phone (opening with Xodo currently). Now the files that are going to be synced off Dropbox would presumably would come from the PC. In that case, where does MoonReader download these pdfs from dropbox to on my android phone? Can I use the preexisting mobile pdfs to sync or do I need to upload to dropbox and then use the synced copy (hence redownloading the files onto a separate space specified by MoonReader in a directory different to my exactly the same pdf files).

Secondly, how do I sync? I have a test pdf, have annotated it but not sure how to save it within the MoonReader file or with Dropbox.

Lastly, I have downloaded the file once from dropbox (has been saved somewhere random by MoonReader) - how do I know that its not being redownloaded when I open it next time.? How do I open it next time? Via shelfbox (and in doing so it will automatically sync the annotations but I wouldnt be redownloading the pdf file which has been stored into the computer)

Let me know if these questions make sense. And was wondering if I could do the same with Google drive. Since it has more storage than Dropbox.

Thanks
gandu45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:09 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

in the program preferences you activate sync to ( cloud of your choice) and choose either sync the entire book or only sync the annotations... ( if you choose the former then Moon will upload a copy of the pdf to its books folder in cloud)
if the program is on two devices then obviously you set that on both
but AFAIK Moon+ is an android only program - there is no PC version- so no way to move your annotations to / from PC.
PS when you open a book in moonreader, it creates a database entry in its own database for book location, metadata etc, it does not make a copy of the book.

i know of no reader that works in android AND on PC, Bookari has its own cloud which is accessible from a browser, but the app is android only
Old 09-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #6
gandu45

Ah thanks for clarifying that - so the annotations would not be visible if the dropbox file is opened via adobe on a computer for example? Hmm that defeats the point a bit. But I guess worst comes to worst you could install bluestacks and go from there. Id rather have android compatibility than windows compatibility tbh.
This seems to be such an obvious feature, how come no one has seriously thought about putting this into the works previously?
Old 09-28-2017, 01:04 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

that is correct. the annotations, highlights etc are stored outside of the book ( that is also how Amazon/Kindle deal with annotations)
readers like Kindle, Moon, Bookari are able to re-display the ebook with their saved annotations , highights etc but that is re-assembled on-the-fly
otherwise the reader has to be able to open the book and amend it's contents., which not many people would approve of.
remember that most android readers are designed for epub/mobi with a bit of pdf support thrown in. and many potable devices lack the horsepower to open up and edit those + there are
no obvious standards for how you would add an annotation to a book so that it made sense also to other readers
have you looked into what adobe can offer, they have a good android pdf reader...and I think it had nagged me to upgrade to some slick proprietary cloud solution... i expect they charge a lot for edit/write to functions though, like on the PC - basic reader is free, everything else costs.

Also, go to google play store & search PDF reader and you will see many apps designed for pdfs. some may have free trials... I went through a lot of those, trying and failing to find one that could read from an index in one pdf and open the linked pdf at the correct page...
Old 09-28-2017, 02:06 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

there may be some useful ideas in this video
https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/how-...f-comment.html
Old 09-28-2017, 06:55 AM   #9
gandu45

Some encouraging features are present in Adobe Cloud - Just would like to find out further whether they support annotation changes only and a quick sync. Wouldn't mind paying for that sort of service I guess.
Just out of interest - Found this between adobe and dropbox
https://blogs.dropbox.com/dropbox/20...e-partnership/
Between Xodo and dropbox in particular
"Dropbox changes are saved as you go, and Google Drive files are re-synced when you close the file"
Found here https://blog.xodo.com/2015/04/09/9-r...do-pdf-reader/
Useful to know since one of the features I am after is minimizing data usage by just being able to sync annotations (and differential annotations only)
Some cross platform apps for reference:
https://pdf.wondershare.com/pdf-edit...nnotation.html

Last edited by gandu45; 09-28-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #10
gandu45

*Just got an email from Xodo
-I had asked whether syncing just annotations between Xodo on PC and Xodo on Android were possible without having to download / re-upload the entire pdf.
-They said current feature is not supported
Old 12-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #11
thehawk777
thehawk777 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony tablet, Kindle Touch
Syncing between devices not working

I am using Moon+ Pro with the Chromebook app which is synced with Dropbox. When I open it on my Android phone, synced with DB also, the highlights are not synced. I see from this thread that going to Misc Options you can tell it to sync highlights etc. with Dropbox. However, I don't see any Misc Options in the app on either my phone or Chromebook.
thehawk777 is offline   Reply With Quote