Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #16
Oolong
Enthusiast
Oolong began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
For some reason when I view the device (or SD card, listed separately) in Calibre, all the options under 'Remove books' are greyed out, except 'Remove selected books'.

Quote:
Can you explain how it is confusing your device?
Repeatedly deciding books were unread. If it was just once I'd assume I got confused and opened the wrong file, but it affected more than one book more than once each. Could be coincidence though, a bug to do with something else.
Oolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:10 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolong View Post
For some reason when I view the device (or SD card, listed separately) in Calibre, all the options under 'Remove books' are greyed out, except 'Remove selected books'.
That is the expected behaviour. All of the options in the delete menu act on the selected books. In the calibre library list, each book can have multiple formats and most of the delete options are about removing one or more of the formats. The top option, the only enable one for the device list, is the only one for removing everything about the book. That is the only valid action for books on the device.
Quote:
Repeatedly deciding books were unread. If it was just once I'd assume I got confused and opened the wrong file, but it affected more than one book more than once each. Could be coincidence though, a bug to do with something else.
That is usually the sign of a corrupted database on the device. It's usually most noticeable after restarting the device. Unless you have a clean backup of the database, the only fix is to recreated it by signing out of your Kobo account on the device.

And yes, I can understand why you described it as "confusing the device".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:28 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolong View Post
You're right. What I described works in library view, but not in the device view.

In my library, I found a book that was on my device twice. In the library, the far left column shows Card A (2 books). But when I look at Card A in its own view, the book is just listed twice separately. The only way to see which format a copy of the book is in is to look at the path (one shows as kepub.epub and the other just shows as ePub). I'm a little surprised that Calibre isn't friendlier. Is there a good reason for the device view not to behave the same as the library view?

In the end, it may be easiest to find books listed as on the device twice in library view, delete them from the device in library mode and then add them back.

Edit: Aha! In the library, when I chose 'remove matching books from device' a pop-up window listed the different formats. I was able to remove just the ePub from the device that way (I still had to scroll to the right as kepub and ePub are both listed as ePub). Should there be a friendlier way? Yes there should. But hey, it's something.

I've edited and re-edited this post. I hope it makes sense.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 04-16-2017 at 09:51 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:25 AM   #19
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I seem to remember it was possible in the library view to search for books on the device multiple times, but I can never remember exactly how to make that work.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I seem to remember it was possible in the library view to search for books on the device multiple times, but I can never remember exactly how to make that work.
You can, as I mentioned above: In the library, the far left column shows "Card A (2 books)"
Old 04-22-2017, 08:17 AM   #21
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I know about the library column, I mean, I seem to recall you can search directly for a count in a multivalue column.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:40 AM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I know about the library column, I mean, I seem to recall you can search directly for a count in a multivalue column.
Sorry. I don't understand what you mean. When you have a device plugged in, the first column in Calibre's library shows if the book is on the device (or on the SD card). If the same book is on the device or card multiple times, it gives a count of how many times the duplicated book is on the device. Not sure what further info you're looking for. That seems to be exactly what you described your post. Am I missing something?
Old 04-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
--- post deleted --- As usual, I should have finished the thread before replying. <shrug>

Last edited by DNSB; 04-23-2017 at 11:52 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:03 PM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Sorry. I don't understand what you mean. When you have a device plugged in, the first column in Calibre's library shows if the book is on the device (or on the SD card). If the same book is on the device or card multiple times, it gives a count of how many times the duplicated book is on the device. Not sure what further info you're looking for. That seems to be exactly what you described your post. Am I missing something?
I think what is wanted is to be able to do something like "ondevice:#>1" to show all books that are on the device more than once. But, as far as I can tell, "ondevice" is boolean, so can only be true or false.

Sorting by the column does partly do it. The sort is on the text string displayed, so "Main (2 books)" sorts above "Main". But, that also means the books on a card in the device are sorted separately as they look something like "Card (2 books)". And if the books is on both the card and the device is shows differently again.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #25
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Finding this thread because I'm completely annoyed by the small font on Pocket articles. I*realise that I've never used a .kepub.

If I understand correctly, the only way to have sensible font sizing in both my books and Pocket is to convert my books to kepub with calibre.

But I've 950*epubs on my device, with lot of them having a read/currently reading status that I don't want to lost.

Is there no way, even with a patch to the firmware, to have an option to disable custom CSS from an epub ? Most epub reader allow this and I*find it very handy.
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:28 AM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
No need for kepub, a proprietary format. The kobo resizes epubs fonts fine and allows built in or publisher fonts. If you can't resize it's due to the epub css.
Pocket may be convenient, but it's inflexible and a privacy issue. Better to copy & paste web pages into WP (Libre Office Writer is free), save as docx and convert with calibre. Admittedly a problem on a tablet.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #27
lightbulbjim
Enthusiast
lightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
No need for kepub, a proprietary format. The kobo resizes epubs fonts fine and allows built in or publisher fonts. If you can't resize it's due to the epub css.
The problem isn't that you can't resize epub fonts, it's that the base sizes are different between the epub and kepub renderer. The problem becomes obvious when you have both epub and kepub books on your device.

Quote:
Pocket may be convenient, but it's inflexible and a privacy issue. Better to copy & paste web pages into WP (Libre Office Writer is free), save as docx and convert with calibre. Admittedly a problem on a tablet.
Sounds like a hassle, but if you really wanted to go down that road then why not go straight to epub using Sigil or similar?
lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:29 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sigil looks like a tool for highly custom ePub creation. I'm relying on Amazon & Smashwords making eBooks from uploaded MS Doc files. Also paper versions from PDF (different header, footer, margins, TOC style, "larger" images and some changes to some paragraph styles). Calibre is used for three things:
1) Import of Kindle ebooks (inc Mobi from gutenberg to halve the downloads) and convert to ePub.
2) Convert web page/site via copy/paste/edit to LO Writer to read as Mobi/AZW3/ePub
3) To proof my own writing (ePub) and distribute mobi & AZW3 to beta readers. Only some have ePub Apps on phone. All but one uses Kindles.

Calibre helps me track my books & PDF manuals. Simple way to add mock covers for drafts. Easy finding of covers for Gutenberg texts. Archive.org tends to be OCR and poor.

Sigil is simply too time consuming compared to Calibre. All my own source is edited in LibreOffice Writer (was MS Word till a few years ago). MS doc or docx is used for upload to Amazon, Smashwords, Agents, Publishers etc. A PDF from a differently formatted version is uploaded to POD for paper if applicable.

Amazon may have 90% of eBook market. Previewing that the source is sensible in Mobi and AZW3 on different real kindles and ePub is sensible on four ePub readers and ePub apps is useful. An actual ePub is only needed for upload to Google Books/Playstore and I'm probably not doing that now. Google's share of eBooks via Playstore seems tiny and a very toxic company?

I certainly won't give Amazon any exclusivity.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:52 PM   #29
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Quote:
That's an impressive reply.

To summarise :

Me :*Pocket articles have tiny fonts compared to epubs. Is there a way to fix the issue ?

You :*Instead of clicking on the pocket button in your browser, select the webpage, launch LibreOffice, paste the content. Hope that the copy/paste makes something readable. Save as a docx (!). Launch calibre. Import the docx in Calibre. Now convert it to epub. Plug your Kobo in your computer. Sync your calibre library with the Kobo. Unplug. Voilà ! No need for Pocket.

If it is a parody of « rejecting the fault of a bug on the user », it's quite good.

PS: if you are concerned about privacy in Pocket, I recommend you to try Wallabag, that you can install on your own server.
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:21 PM   #30
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Pocket articles are displayed like Kepub, There is a patch, if Your are willing to patch Your Kobo, that "Make KePub font sizes match ePub font sizes: ePubs render with # 1.5 times the font size of KePubs by default. With this enabled they match."

I Don't use that, if somebody uses it can give You more information about its usefulness. Anyway You have to enable the patch called "KePub stylesheet additions" and then, into the file libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml (I don't know how to call it, sub patch?) enable the wanted style modification.

But patching is more difficult to explain than to do
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, fonts, kobo, kobo aura h2o