Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Question for math-savvy re: ebooks %age

Ebooks have enjoyed a popularity spike, going from 3% of sales in 2009 to 9% so far in 2010. If we go back to 2007, the curve is pretty alarming (for traditional booksellers): .6% in 2007; 1.2% in 2008, 3.3% in 2009, 9% now. (Citation.)

Any traditional publisher/bookseller might look on this curve in a panic and extrapolate that, at this rate of growth, paper books will die sometime in 2012 as ebooks take over 100% of the market.

Of course, this is nonsense. We will have certain paper books probably forever, at least through the lifetimes of those living today.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is, how do you know when to start rounding off this curve, and how it might plateau?

Is there any predictive math that might guide us?
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Multivariate time series analysis for one, complicated. You'd have to come up with factors for technology changes, people who will never switch/buy, probability of massive die-off of dead tree purveyors - and whether those are changing significantly.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I believe it's more an additive thing than a hockey stick. It's credible to believe 50% of Amazon book sales will be ebooks can be reached in 2012 ... elsewhere, not yet ... but that's on track too. And there will also be fewer dedicated places to buy books in 2012 and 2015 ... but the fall off to 0% of physical books in the next 10 years ... doesn't sound likely.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't think math equations can accurately predict market trends long term. There are too many unknown forces that can come into play. For me personally, my e-books are outselling my print books a hundred to one. So I no longer even consider bookstores in my marketing plans.
L.J.
The Sex Club: now $.99
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote