Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-11-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
penguinator
penguinator began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96c plus
Older firmware for boox max 2 pro

Hello,

Does anybody here have access to older firmwares for max 2 pro? I can't find them to download anywhere- would be really grateful for any help on this.

Many thanks
penguinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Depending how old you want it https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qBv...dFCt7u0Fb/view
This is v2.2.2
As for how to get it
http://web.archive.org/web/202001091...ds/#max-series
This is a history of boox download page, you can find links to older/newer firmware there
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:52 PM   #3
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
what's wrong with new firmwares?
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #4
penguinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
what's wrong with new firmwares?
They have stopped Bluetooth pedals working properly- when you ask support they call them "unofficial" pedals- they want to push their own which frankly I would just buy if it wasn't a worthless toy- back button between the two pedals to press by mistake, no information available on configurability, whether it has rebounce built in and so on, not to mention more expensive than all other pro pedals when all of them are just Bluetooth keyboards- with only two buttons. (Which any device claiming to have bluetooth has no excuse not to work correctly with)

I am sure it will be the same for the max 3. Musicians should know: onyx does not have your back.

Plus they removed the ability to choose to have the status bar visible in apps, presumably to force you to use their 90's spyware lookalike "navigation ball".

Since upgrading to 2.1.2 (can't call it a downgrade) everything runs faster and battery lasts much much much longer. And the pedal connects right away though you still get some slow turns- on later firmware those turns just don't get through. I think a2 Mode may solve that- still testing.

Last edited by penguinator; 12-27-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
penguinator

Can't edit the prior comment again - to be clear a2 mod emay solve the slow turns- not the ones not getting through at all in newer firmware.

Btw you need Mobilesheets eink 2.7.8 for reliable turns- Mobilesheets uses onyx libraries and there was library update for the version after this (intended for newer firmware than 2.1.2) that first introduced the page turn problems. I have been back and forth endlessly with the developer who can't reproduce the problem.

Last edited by penguinator; 12-27-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:46 PM   #6
penguinator

Can't edit that comment again for some reason so just to be clear about the end a2 Mode May solve the slow turns, not the turns not getting through in firmwares newer than 2.1.2 (including v3)

Btw you need Mobilesheets eink 2.7.8 for reliable turns- Mobilesheets uses onyx libraries and there was library update for the version after this (intended for newer firmware than 2.1.2) that first introduced the page turn problems. I have been back and forth endlessly with the developer who can't reproduce the problem.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:07 AM   #7
cj63
cj63 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro
Hi all,

I updated my MAX 2 PRO to firmware 3.1 unfortunately and now I have a buggy Max 2 which freezes for no reason. Seems to happen when reading certain pdf with the native neoreader app.
Would any of you share old firmware, in order to allow me to downgrade my Boox max 2 pro?
I would like to ge back to 2.3.1 which worked fine for me.
Or 2.1.2 or even older firmware.
Thks for your help, because onyx refuses to share old firmware, saying they no longer own such old packages...
cj63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:14 AM   #8
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Usually freezes are due to bad batteries. Even when plugged in sometimes what is available over USB is not sufficient for peak consumption. Unless you're freezing with a lab power supply connected where the battery connects I would strongly suspect this.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:42 AM   #9
cj63

So downgrading back to firmware 2.2.2 using the link provided above fixed the issue on my MAX 2 pro.
I have no more freeze, and the battery is back to normal consumption (after 3.1 upgrade it was completely drawn out in a couple of hours). Now after 3 hours of use I have no more than 7% of battery used.
So , owner of the MAX 2, don't upgrade firmware to 3.1 unless you want to face severe issues!
Old 01-11-2022, 03:25 PM   #10
tjw321
tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Boox Max2 Pro
I did the downgrade as well. Any version of the firmware 3.0 or above couldn't maintain a stable network connection on my Max 2. V2.2.2 is much better. The newer firmware download links are all dead so 2.2.2 is the latest you can get which is pre V3.0 (that I have found, at least).
Many thanks to @Galunid for posting the link.
tjw321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:21 AM   #11
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
If the new version was making it thrash, it would have been could to see if you could narrow it down a bit with a logcat. No company is great but I believe that Onyx makes a good effort to fix things.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:53 AM   #12
cj63

Update: freezing is still there unfortunately.

It happens less frequently with the old 2.2 FW compared to the 3.1, but I still get my MAX2 PRO freezing after a given time. I have to connect it to power supply to get it function properly again... So battery is for sure the main problem here, like Renate suggested it.