Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #1
kyiv
kyiv has learned how to read e-bookskyiv has learned how to read e-bookskyiv has learned how to read e-bookskyiv has learned how to read e-bookskyiv has learned how to read e-bookskyiv has learned how to read e-bookskyiv has learned how to read e-books

Device: Onyx BOOX MAX 2, Note Pro, Nova
Battery drain after firmware update [SOLVED]

Just wanted to share my solution if someone has similar issue with battery drain:

I have Onyx Boox Note Pro (Google Play enabled) and recently updated to V3.0 fw. It started extremely drain battery after that. Especially it started being annoyed because I couldn't use sleep mode instead of turn it off (to do not wait each time util Android boots).

The strange thing was that before the update battery life was acceptable (without using Wifi) it lasted weeks for just reading and note taking.

I started investigating what may went wrong and used battery profiler: https://developer.android.com/topic/...tery-historian

It didn't help much, except I found that something alone took 84% of battery. I went to adb shell and executed "top" which gave me:

PID PR CPU% S #THR VSS RSS PCY UID Name
4052 3 26% S 38 1305136K 143800K bg u0_a6 com.google.android.gms
237 1 8% S 9 66704K 11064K fg media /system/bin/mediaserver
189 2 1% S 6 23440K 16532K bg logd /system/bin/logd
5676 2 0% R 1 2188K 952K fg shell top

It means that Google Play Services take fully 1 core of CPU for all the time. OMG!
That explained everything.

I just went to Settings and found that Location was ON and Google Services have access to Calls/SMS, etc.

So my solution was:
0 - Go to Settings -> Applications -> Application Info
1 - Disable Location service (Google Play Services -> Location (tap) -> Location Settings -> toggle it OFF and disable listed location services: ELS, etc
2 - Remove all permissions from Google Play Services and Google Play except "Storage" and I also disabled Google Play (just in case)
3 - Force stop Google Play Service app and Google Play

I also have Airplane mode enabled and "Power Save Mode" on. When I need Web browsing I just tap on Wifi icon to enable Internet access just for time I'm browsing.

I would be glad if this experience helps someone else. I didn't check thoroughly all forums here, maybe it's already explained somewhere (sorry if this is the case).

Last edited by kyiv; 02-20-2021 at 10:09 AM.
kyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:38 AM   #2
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Nice.

I don't have this problem with my NotePro. Could it be that location services don't get an answer and just keep trying?
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:11 PM   #3
kyiv
kyiv has learned how to read e-bookskyiv has learned how to read e-bookskyiv has learned how to read e-bookskyiv has learned how to read e-bookskyiv has learned how to read e-bookskyiv has learned how to read e-bookskyiv has learned how to read e-books

Device: Onyx BOOX MAX 2, Note Pro, Nova
I think this is the case, but Google Play Services process cannot get location and running some infinite loop which takes 100% of 1 core from 4 of CPU.

If you don't have similar problem, then how long your Note Pro lasts between charges (without turning it off)?
kyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:33 AM   #4
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
@kyiv Missed your reply. My NotePro firmware 3.1, Android 6 gets a few hours use daily and is recharged when below 50% every 4 or 5 days.

I just upgraded to Android 9 and can see the battery drop alarmingly fast! Even after disabling Google and location it's still dropping. While I sat down to write this reply, it's gone down another digit!
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:44 PM   #5
Bhtgrv
Bhtgrv began at the beginning.

Device: Boox kindle
Same with me.. after upgrading my note pro to Android 9, battery drain is huge.. i tried disabling playstore as well and see some improvement in battery life but it's not the same as before and definitely not as per the standards of an eink screen

Sent from my SM-M127G using Tapatalk
Bhtgrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery drain, firmware update, onyx boox