Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2015, 11:45 PM   #1
MobileSamL
MobileSamL began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
nOOb here. 2 questions.

hi all,

i am a nOObie here. i have left my amazon touch in favor of a kobo glo hd. it's a nice device and i am enjoying it so far. i have 2 questions that i have searched, but not found very clear answers. i apologize if i missed existing threads about this.

1. wait, what? no lock screen? does the kobo have a lock screen? if the kobo is stolen it seems easy for the new owner to use.

2. german to english dictionary. the one on the device seems to be quite basic. this thread below mentions german-english dictionary but it seems to be the other way around (eg english-german). does anyone have experience loading better german to english dictionary?

Index of Custom Dictionaries (Penelope / Alberto Pettarin)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232883

thanks! looking forward to many happy books...
sam
MobileSamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:39 AM   #2
AlterusPrime
Enthusiast
AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo
As far as i know, there's no built-in lock screen on Kobos but you can install Kobo Start Menu, it has an option to set a password on your reader (can't tell if it's easy or not to bypass, not using this option myself).
AlterusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:59 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I sign in to my Kobo reader with an account that does not have my credit card information on file, so they're unable to purchase any books at my expense, and feel that's really all the security I need on an ereader. If they steal it, all they have to do is a factory reset to use it, so I don't see that a lockscreen really does any good.

I don't know about the German-English dictionary, I'm sure someone else will be able to answer that though.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 09-15-2015 at 04:37 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileSamL View Post

1. wait, what? no lock screen? does the kobo have a lock screen? if the kobo is stolen it seems easy for the new owner to use.

sam
Kobo is investigating a lock screen. They just put some questions out on the Kobo Insiders site.

But for the time being, a stolen Kobo is easy to use. I suspect that they would enjoy my excellent taste in books!
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
How many eReaders have data on them you wouldn't want stolen? Not many I guess.

It seems like the only beneficial locking kobo could provide would be permanent locking to discouraging stealing for resale but anything that can permanently make a device unusable is a can of worms I'm not sure I want to see Kobo open.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It might be that the real benefit to being able to lock the screen, would be to hide what you are reading from those you wouldn't want to see it. Kids, parents, wife, the boss, ect... whoever.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
It might be that the real benefit to being able to lock the screen, would be to hide what you are reading from those you wouldn't want to see it. Kids, parents, wife, the boss, ect... whoever.

Luck;
Ken
Although I'd still never have a use for it for myself, that I can see as a good use for it depending on your reading environment and what you read.

But it's useless as real security if anyone thinks it'll stop a thief from being able to use the reader after they've stolen it, when all they need to do is hit the right combination of buttons or pin reset holes through the hardware only and reset it, which of course will be a fresh factory install without the password.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 09-15-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:28 PM   #8
MobileSamL

Regarding the lock screen: I didn't realize there is such a simple way to do a hardware reset. That does probably make a lock screen useless.

They way security should work on this device is similar to cell phones. Even if you "find" a cell phone today, it is so hard to reset it that it really can't be used.

I'm not worried about people seeing what I read. Nor am I worried about some thief buying a couple books on the reader before I realize I've lost it and cancel my account.

Thanks for your replies!
Sam
Old 09-15-2015, 10:29 PM   #9
MobileSamL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterusPrime View Post
As far as i know, there's no built-in lock screen on Kobos but you can install Kobo Start Menu, it has an option to set a password on your reader (can't tell if it's easy or not to bypass, not using this option myself).
Thanks ... I will look into this!
Sam
Old 09-15-2015, 11:15 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileSamL View Post
They way security should work on this device is similar to cell phones. Even if you "find" a cell phone today, it is so hard to reset it that it really can't be used.
Today's cell phones though carry a lot more personal and private info on them, usually including banking, credit card and multiple store payment info. You really need top security there.

That's not the case with an ereader though where the most they'll have access to are your books, and like you said, you can always quickly cancel the Kobo account or just change the password to lock out whoever picked up your reader to stop them from charging $100s of books to your account. And since ereaders have been known to lock up at times, sometimes a badly formatted book can do it, it makes sense to include a way to easily reset it by the consumer.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:35 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
... or just change the password to lock out whoever picked up your reader to stop them from charging $100s of books to your account.
Not to make light of the possibility, but I can't wrap my head around the odds of thief actually wanting to run up a big bill buying e-books
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:12 AM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Yeah, it seems unlikely, but the possibility is there to easily do it. Do thieves read? I wouldn't think so either ... but if they steal it with the intent to sell it and make money, loading it with as many books as they could at someone else's expense I would think would drive up the price.

I'd rather be prepared for the worst and not let them have a chance to do it!

Tags
dictionary, english, german, lock