Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
BookDesigner file format (html0)

Those of us who use BD have seen the "html0" file format. When you are editing a book, it is saved in the Lastfile subdirectory in this format. You can also make your book in "BookDesigner format", and the output file has the "html0" extension, too.

Having a look at the file in Lastfile, I discovered that the "html0" file is in fact a normal html file (well, normal enough to be opened with IE or MS Word once you change the extension from html0 to html). On the contrary, the file generated when you make your ebook in bookdesigner format cannot be opened with IE or Word and looking with a text editor I only see garbage.

So there is a difference between these files, no matter the extension. The one in Lastfile is bigger, so maybe some compression is involved.

I started looking at this format when I read that HarryT generated his books using both BD and Calibre, in this way I could produce ePub output, which is not possible with BD only.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
The books in the 'bd' directory are by default compressed. The option for this is on the right in the 'Make BookDesigner' file sub-menu. If you want html for editing in other programs you can save the book as an htm(l) file by using 'save as'. Sigil is another option for conversion to EPUB.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
The books in the 'bd' directory are by default compressed. The option for this is on the right in the 'Make BookDesigner' file sub-menu. If you want html for editing in other programs you can save the book as an htm(l) file by using 'save as'. Sigil is another option for conversion to EPUB.
Thanks for your answer!
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Those of us who use BD have seen the "html0" file format. When you are editing a book, it is saved in the Lastfile subdirectory in this format. You can also make your book in "BookDesigner format", and the output file has the "html0" extension, too.

Having a look at the file in Lastfile, I discovered that the "html0" file is in fact a normal html file (well, normal enough to be opened with IE or MS Word once you change the extension from html0 to html). On the contrary, the file generated when you make your ebook in bookdesigner format cannot be opened with IE or Word and looking with a text editor I only see garbage.

So there is a difference between these files, no matter the extension. The one in Lastfile is bigger, so maybe some compression is involved.

I started looking at this format when I read that HarryT generated his books using both BD and Calibre, in this way I could produce ePub output, which is not possible with BD only.
There is an old sticky post in the epub format forum, Converting BookDesigner to epub (bd2epub.pl) that provides a way to convert .html0 to non-Sony/ADE compliant .epubs.

Or just use calibre to convert that .html0 to a Sony/ADE complaint .epub.

Though I've NEVER needed to use these (BookDesigner and me just don't "mix"), I trust they can allow you some further options...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote