Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-26-2018, 11:02 PM   #1
spottydog10
spottydog10 began at the beginning.

Device: win 10 laptop
PDF problems

Hi everyone, nice to be here.

I'm having problems with a couple of PDF conversion to EPUB.
In the included example the "f" seems to having problems displaying and the line spacing/para are incorrect.
I've tried heuristics on and off with no change,
Any ideas please?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qw6...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AmZ...ew?usp=sharing
spottydog10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
(fi)ve in the second slide

fi is a ligature

PDF is a terrible source.
Do read the sticky about converting From PDF at the top of this forum
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2018, 10:24 PM   #3
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by spottydog10 View Post
Hi everyone, nice to be here.

I'm having problems with a couple of PDF conversion to EPUB.
In the included example the "f" seems to having problems displaying and the line spacing/para are incorrect.
I've tried heuristics on and off with no change,
Any ideas please?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qw6...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AmZ...ew?usp=sharing
Try Heuristics on with Unwrap Lines checked and Line Un-wrap factor set to about .22 (if I remember correctly). This should result in less paragraph breaks. You will still have to do a lot of editing to fix things, but using Regex can help quicken the editing process.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:02 AM   #4
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Also, in the Conversion "Look & Feel" tab, try UNCHECKING "keep ligatures".
As TheDucks noted, "fi", "fl", and a number of other two-letter combinations are often presented in pdf as a combined ligature glyph. If your font doesn't have those special glyphs, display will be wonky.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:52 PM   #5
spottydog10

Thanks all,
It's a bit over my head tbh. Granny Grump, I tried those suggestions with no joy. You mentioned "If your font doesn't have those special glyphs, display will be wonky."
Is there a way for me to install the fonts? (Win 10 pc)
Thanks.
Advert
Old 06-02-2018, 12:07 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks all,
It's a bit over my head tbh. Granny Grump, I tried those suggestions with no joy. You mentioned "If your font doesn't have those special glyphs, display will be wonky."
Is there a way for me to install the fonts? (Win 10 pc)
Thanks.
What font did they use in that book? That is the question?
If the book has been converted before, that info may have been lost.
The font may be proprietary (and not available).
Other
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:40 AM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Thanks all,
It's a bit over my head tbh. Granny Grump, I tried those suggestions with no joy. ...
This may mean that the PDF was built from a scan of a printed book and that there is a text layer that was produced using an Optical Character Recognition (OCR) function in the app that generated the PDF. If that OCR failed to recognize the ligatures properly the text layer won't be correct. If this is the case, the only "fix" is to manually edit the converted ePub, typing in the correct text everywhere that such errors exist.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:36 PM   #8
spottydog10

It's a 600 page history book dwig - I'll put up with it
Old 06-03-2018, 04:21 AM   #9
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
You can use e.g. the calibre editor for identifying. It have a flexible spell checker tool including a misspelled word counting
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote