Notices

View Poll Results: New Home Screen vs Old Home Screen
New Home Screen 47 29.38%
Old Home Screen 113 70.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #211
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I wouldn't say it happened to me all the time, but it happened enough that I'm glad they let us disable it. This way everyone wins, those who like the feature and didn't have issues with it, and those who don't like the swipe feature or who did have issues with it.

The feature was only marginally useful for me since I keep the light at around 5% for most of the time. In terms of how often it happened to me, I would say maybe three times in a month of reading, but those three times were often at night when I was reading before I went to sleep, making it more frustrating than if it happened during the day when I had decent ambient light.

I'm surprised there's such attention spent on the adding of an option to disable something. It doesn't alter how anyone -has- to use their device, rather lets us use it how we want.

I'm waiting for the day Kobo adds an option to enable fullscreen and nightmode to the actual UI. I may be dreaming of that ever happening, but it's a possibility.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #212
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
By the way, this is the WRONG thread for the 4.4 home screen.

This is the thread you want. So anyone who voted or posted comments about the 4.4 firmware, please do so again in the correct thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=286476
It looked right and was what google found
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2017, 03:11 PM   #213
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I'm surprised there's such attention spent on the adding of an option to disable something. It doesn't alter how anyone -has- to use their device, rather lets us use it how we want.
Exactly, totally positive. The big issue is the stupid homescreen and loss of number annotations on a book on it.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #214
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Jon is just being a bit pedantic, the version of the new homescreen represented in this post, and the one he linked to are incredibly similar. The differences aren't things you mention as issues for you.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #215
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

My screen (enabled screenshots as I have a sleep cover)
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	553
Size:	775.0 KB
ID:	157288
The previous home screen had very many small icon and was just an ordered list in order of last usage of everything accessed.
A longer press removed any item from list.
FAR more useful, even though the newer home screen may look prettier. I'd used Calibre to remove all unwanted cruft.
Advert
Old 06-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #216
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Exactly, totally positive. The big issue is the stupid homescreen and loss of number annotations on a book on it.
You can still access that, though you need to long press on a book. I know it's not ideal for you, but it's still there.

I disagree with you about physical buttons, from your other post, I dislike them. They were prone to break on the First Generation Nook, and on any device I've used since that one they've just felt clunky. I've been adjusting how I go forward/backward and while I do still swipe from time to time more often than not I just tap.

I've not had the highlighting issues and word lookup issues you mention when I'm using the current firmware, though I'd agree it's certainly been an issue.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #217
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Attachment 157288
The previous home screen had very many small icon and was just an ordered list in order of last usage of everything accessed.
FAR more useful, even though the newer home screen may look prettier. I'd used Calibre to remove all unwanted cruft.
yeah, Kobo rolled out this home screen slowly, the first iteration was sent to randomly selected users. I think the only real differences from how it looks is that there's less advertising on the current one. There were other features added, but they are not visible from the home screen.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #218
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
You can still access that, though you need to long press on a book. I know it's not ideal for you, but it's still there.
I tried that. I can ACCESS annotations. I can't find anywhere that says how many there are.

Nook must have been using 2c buttons or something. I worked in Electronic design, 35c in bulk buys a pair of buttons that won't break.
It's like PC mice. Some only last months, too cheap buttons. Other models last practically for ever.

However OPTION for two areas in footer for back/forward would be fine. I know people with pre-touch kindles and I have a Kindle DXG (no touch). Pretty cheap nasty buttons (terrible keyboard) but all still working.

Taking ALL the buttons off gadgets is purely to save money.

Last edited by Quoth; 06-12-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #219
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Doesn't matter what Google found. It's wrong.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:08 AM   #220
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Attachment 157288
offtopic: how do you enable screenshots?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:51 AM   #221
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

enable viewing hidden files if host is Linux
in .kobo folder there is a kobo folder
in it a file "Kobo eReader.conf" (without quotes)

Make a backup
Find FeatureSettings and add Screenshots. Having a sleep cover still works, the power button now does screenshots.
If you don't have a sleep cover (it uses a small disk magnet near bottom right of screen to enable sleep), then later disable the setting

[FeatureSettings]
Screenshots=true
Old 06-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #222
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
My Kobo Wifi had 5 way switch with cover that that developed cracks and eventually fell off. This switch cover also degraded 5 way switch requiring more effort to operate switch. Kobo Touch reader with IR page turns was such a fantastic improvement I gave away my 2 Kobo Wifi readers.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #223
mortimer7
Connoisseur
mortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-booksmortimer7 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad, Kobo Aura 6"
hi, how can i set old home screen on my Kobo Aura 6"?
mortimer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:15 PM   #224
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer7 View Post
hi, how can i set old home screen on my Kobo Aura 6"?
Depending on the firmware version, the answer is you won't be able to. As far as I recall, the last version of firmware that allowed enabling the old home screen was 4.3.9084.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:07 AM   #225
wingmongyee
Enthusiast
wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The old one just because I found it more aesthetically pleasing. Symmetry is boring.
wingmongyee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home screen, kobo