Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 08-14-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Twain, Mark: The War Prayer v1 14 August 2008

This is my first ebook. I would be very grateful indeed for any feedback on the style and layout and so on.

Regards, Alex

15 Aug 08 - uploaded v2 with formatting improvements. v1 had 17 views.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc The War Prayer.prc (79.1 KB, 698 views)
File Type: prc The War Prayer v2.prc (79.2 KB, 758 views)
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A few minor issues with it:

1. Titles are not centred.
2. No blank lines after titles.
3. Uses hyphens rather than dashes.

All relatively minor issues, but they add greatly to the "readability" of a book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A few minor issues with it:

1. Titles are not centred.
2. No blank lines after titles.
3. Uses hyphens rather than dashes.

All relatively minor issues, but they add greatly to the "readability" of a book.
Thanks, Harry. I'll fix the first two as soon as possible, but I'll have to do some research on the hyphen/em-dash problem. I'm not even sure at the moment what an em-dash is, nor how to produce one.

Regards, Alex
Old 08-15-2008, 03:43 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If your source is HTML, an em-dash can be inserted using the HTML entity value "—". It's a "long" dash. An em-dash is used like this—to separate a portion of a sentence—rather than to join words, as a hyphen is. In ASCII text it's generally represented as either two hyphens ("--") or as a hyphen with a space on either side of it ( - ), but it's a lot better to use the "real" dash character if you can.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:59 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There are at least three different dashes in traditional typesetting:

A hyphen is a short horizontal line used in (of course) hyphenated words
An en-dash is a slightly longer line usually used between numbers to indicate a range
An em-dash is an even longer line, used to indicate a pause in the flow of words, or perhaps an in interruption in speech.

hyphen: God the all-terrible
en-dash: 1914–18
em-dash: ...when there had been enormous casualties on both sides—but before the United States entered the war in 1917.

en-dash is unicode 8211, html entity –
em-dash is unicode 8212, html entity —

In case you're wondering about the names, the en-dash is traditionally the width of a letter n, and the em-dash is traditionally the width of a letter M.

For much more on dashes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, Harry. I'll fix the first two as soon as possible, but I'll have to do some research on the hyphen/em-dash problem. I'm not even sure at the moment what an em-dash is, nor how to produce one.
x
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
hyphen: God the all-terrible
en-dash: 1914–18
em-dash: ...when there had been enormous casualties on both sides—but before the United States entered the war in 1917.
Apparently, some publishers prefer the use of an en-dash with spaces around " – " instead of an em-dash "—", but it's only a matter of style. I don't say I like that better, but for reflowable text in relatively small screens, I think the en-dash with spaces might lead to better looking text. In the books I've done I use this.

Well... actually I use en-dash with spaces when in the middle of the text, and and em-dash when at the end of a sentece (I've seen books unsing a longer dash, like two em-dashes, in these cases), as in:

"They live as we all should live – undisturbed, indifferent, and without disquiet."
"I beg your pardon. I thought—"
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:33 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Valid choices. I hope we won't spark a religious war of the dashes :-)

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Apparently, some publishers prefer the use of an en-dash with spaces around " – " instead of an em-dash "—", but it's only a matter of style. I don't say I like that better, but for reflowable text in relatively small screens, I think the en-dash with spaces might lead to better looking text. In the books I've done I use this.

Well... actually I use en-dash with spaces when in the middle of the text, and and em-dash when at the end of a sentece (I've seen books unsing a longer dash, like two em-dashes, in these cases), as in:

"They live as we all should live – undisturbed, indifferent, and without disquiet."
"I beg your pardon. I thought—"
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:33 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks to you all. I found basically the same stuff about emdash and hyphens, and where I had used hyphens when a 'change of thought' occurs have changed them to em dashes using —. But I agree with Jelby about having a space on both sides -- I think it works better on a narrow page.

Anyway, I'm about to upload the second version of The War Prayer having corrected the typo, centered the headings, and put a little more space below the headings.

But I haven't added a full line because I don't like too much blank space on my Cybook screen. I'm reading a book now which often has gaps of 20% of the screen in the text, and I think it looks ugly.

I'd appreciate feedback on the second version.

On a more general topic I'd really like to see a sticky with information about recommended styling, or even perhaps a seperate forum for newbie publishers. Any takers?

Regards, Alex