Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 05-14-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Problem with IE Extension

Just something to be aware of in beta 9h. My system runs WinXP Home and I installed beta 9h with both browser extensions. I found that the files were not actually updating. They would appear to update, with the progress bar advancing and the date updating, etc. but the content was old. I could see from the network connection icon that it was not actually accessing the Internet.

If I had the box checked to update only if changed, it would indicate "no change" and not update, even if the targeted page had, in fact, changed.

Purging the Firefox cache had no effect, but when I purged the IE cache, Sunrise XP would no longer "update" at all. I would get an error message to the effect that it couldn't open the source page--I can't recall the exact wording.

I then uninstalled Sunrise XP and reinstalled, this time with only the Firefox extension. It runs just fine now. This is OK for me, because I rarely use IE, but something Laurens should know about.

Actually, this started with an earlier version, I believe 9f, but is still a problem in 9h.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:26 AM   #2
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just another bit of information: this appears to happen when IE is set to "Work Offline".
Advert
Old 05-15-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Sunrise XP uses the Windows internet functions, just like IE. That explains why working "offline" will retrieve items from the cache.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank

OK, thanks.

So you're saying that, when you set IE to work offline, that forces other programs offline as well. Yet another reason to hate IE.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
doogie68
Connoisseur
doogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it is

Device: TX
So if I opened IE and Firefox simultaneously and selected "work offline" in the IE menu, that's really a windows setting (from the control panel) and therefore Firefox wouldn't be able to work online? Wow, that's interesting in an evil sort of way...

Didn't Microsoft fight all those years in the courts and essentially have to "unbundle" IE from Windows? Of course, the only reason I keep IE on my home computer is the need to update Windows; I use Firefox almost all the time for everything else...
Advert
Old 05-15-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie68
So if I opened IE and Firefox simultaneously and selected "work offline" in the IE menu, that's really a windows setting (from the control panel) and therefore Firefox wouldn't be able to work online?
Actually, no.

Although I had IE set to work offline, I didn't have it open and it still prevented Sunrise XP from going online. But Firefox worked just fine; that's the reason it took me a while to realize what was going on. It wasn't until I opened IE and got the warning that I was working offline that it struck me as being part of the problem.

Apparently, the Windows setting affects some programs (including Sunrise XP) but not others (including Firefox, Thunderbird and Symantec Live Update). Go figure.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:42 AM   #7
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Issue is addressed in beta 9i. The app now displays a proper "connection is offline" message.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:12 AM   #8
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank

Excellent! Thank you, Laurens.