Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 02-28-2006, 04:15 AM   #1
darchon
darchon began at the beginning.

sunrise using up 95-100% cpu resources

is it just me or is sunrisexp a great big cpu hog? i have an Athlon X2 3800+ and even THAT'S not enough to fill this savage beast's appetite for resources. i often get 95-100% cpu usage and i'm only updating 3 docs at a time too!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:21 AM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Any Windows process will use as much CPU time as it gets from the OS. Try extracting a large file ZIP or opening a large HTML page, you'll also see near 100% usage. And, yes, there's a lot of work involved in parsing and converting HTML and images.
Advert
Old 02-28-2006, 05:20 AM   #3
darchon

yea but this is more than regular apps... i can be extracting 3 zip files and it still wouldn't delay my foreground reaction times.

but oh well, i guess i'll have to live with it or find something else. is there a way to put a pause button on the update window? right now i can only cancel all and reupdate everything again. it'd be nice to be able to continue where i left off.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:39 AM   #4
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darchon
yea but this is more than regular apps... i can be extracting 3 zip files and it still wouldn't delay my foreground reaction times.
You can lower the max. number of updates to alleviate CPU usage if it really bothers you. It's a tradeoff: more simultaneous updates means more work for the application.

Quote:
but oh well, i guess i'll have to live with it or find something else. is there a way to put a pause button on the update window? right now i can only cancel all and reupdate everything again. it'd be nice to be able to continue where i left off.
Won't get round to this.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:25 AM   #5
clupea
harengus pallasii
clupea began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T|X, Tapwave Zodiac2
You can also set the priority for the task in Windows Task Manager (right click on the process to get to Set Priority). I've taken a different approach - I set up Sunrise XP as a Scheduled Task and run it unattended at a time when I'm not likely to use the PC.

Sandy
Advert
Old 03-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Sunrise XP is wholly meant for incidental usage. I.e. on a scheduled basis every few hours or "just in time" during HotSync. You're not supposed to be using it all the time.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:47 AM   #7
darchon

well i think the point is that even for incidental usage, no application should be able to take focus from other apps if possible, and right now, even with 1 update going on, i can actually "feel" response times on my forefront apps slow down.

i guess this is something to think about on improving the multithreadability of sunrise.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:11 AM   #8
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by darchon
well i think the point is that even for incidental usage, no application should be able to take focus from other apps if possible, and right now, even with 1 update going on, i can actually "feel" response times on my forefront apps slow down.

i guess this is something to think about on improving the multithreadability of sunrise.
Well, I'm not experiencing any noticable slowdown on my old 700Mhz PIII laptop. No idea why it behaves so badly for you. You must have a really fast connection for it to get so busy or your documents have lots of images and you're converting to 8bpp.