Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 01-21-2006, 04:03 AM   #1
Visigoth
Visigoth began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten T
Need help coupling Sunrise to Plucker

Not sure what I'm missing, but it has to be something obvious because I can't find the answer in these forums anywhere.

I've been using Plucker for a while and have recently tried to implement Sunrise. I started with one of the later 0.42 versions.
I created a .sdl file with and put a few feeds in it.
I've set up the Sunrise feeds to be sent to my SD card on my PDA.
When I Hotsync, the Sunrise pages take a few minutes to update and get their new info (which implies the stub is on my PDA and is working).
When I open Plucker I only see my Plucker feeds.
Where are the Sunrise feeds.

I'm assuming that I'm missing one last bit of info.
Does the .sdl file have to reside somewhere specific for this to work?

I read on one thread the files need to be converted to a format so that Plucker can read them. Is this is what I'm missing? I don't see a file conversion option with any of the pulldown menus.
I've read the instructional french step by step website that's been refered to in these forums and nothing jumps out at me.

I thought I'd try again with the new SunriseXP yesterday (after unistalling Sunrise 0.42), but to no avail, the same situation happens. I don't see the files/folders in Plucker.

Help! What am I missing?

Thanks for any feedback,
A big Plucker and soon to be Sunrise fan.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
There are no additional steps necessary for making the documents compatible with Plucker or anything. They should work right out of the box.

The only thing I can think of is that there is a case-sensitivity issue in the HotSync name. Have you looked in the HotSync log to check if the documents are, indeed, transferred to the device?

Example:
Code:
-- Transferred "BBC News" to RAM.
OK Sunrise XP
Alternatively, use Filez or another file manager utility to check if the documents are actually present in RAM or the memory card.

As a last resort, you may want to use the CleanPlkr utility to clear the Plucker document list. (The list will be recreated the next time you run Plucker.)
Advert
Old 01-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
doogie68
Connoisseur
doogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it is

Device: TX
A few thoughts:

-- I assume that you saw Plucker "Synchronize Documents" by refreshing the document list. If you add Plucker documents to the PDA but continue reading an open document that was open before hotsync, you won't know the new ones are there until the program synchronizes documents. A long shot but I thought I'd mention it...

-- You need to schedule each individual feed in the SDL for updating. If you double-click on the document, it calls up the properties screen. On the first tab, Main, have you dictated a schedule for the update and "enabled" that schedule? This needs to be dictated for each feed, and they can all be on a different schedule.

-- Is the hotsync conduit set and working? On the hotsync logo in your system tray (bottom right corner of screen), right-click and select "Custom". Select the "Sunrise" conduit and hit "change." Make certain that "Update and Transfer documents" is activated. (Presumably you'll want it to be the default action too...) If the conduit isn't set on the PC end, you'll get no action; you indicated that it's set on your PDA.

Good luck.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:45 PM   #4
Visigoth

Homing in on the problem...

Thanks for some feedback.
We're homing in on an answer.
I've checked the items listed by Doogie and all 3 appear to be ok.

I just attempted another Hotsync for just two feeds (Ain't It Cool News RSS link and ) and then looked at the log.

My log for Hotsync on my pc shows the following:

-- WARNING: Insufficient space in RAM to store "AICN: News".
Sunrise: Could not open /Palm/Programs/Plucker directory on VFS fileSystem (0x10004403)
OK Sunrise XP with 2 message(s)

So, the answer is, it appears as if the file(s) never make it to my PDA.

Now, there's a new problem.
When I look at the properties for these 2 feeds in SunriseXP, it lists that the targeted area for the info should be my SD card.

So I watched the Hotsync in action and saw that one of the Hotsync screens actually says:

RAM: AICN: News

...implying it's trying to put the feed/folder into my PDA's ram versus the SD card ?
I'm not certain about the VFS fileSytem problem.
Any help?

I have the 1k SunriseXP stub in my Ram. Should it be on my SD card? or is this some type of software glitch?
Anyone need anymore info beyond this?
Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Open the Sunrise XP conduit configuration dialog and select "View files" (either RAM or the SD card) to see the directory where the PDBs are stored.

For example:
c:\Program Files\Palm\<user>\SunriseXP\ram
c:\Program Files\Palm\<user>\SunriseXP\vfs0

It's important for me to know which directory the PDBs are saved. Also, which HotSync Mgr version are you using?
Advert
Old 01-25-2006, 01:19 AM   #6
Visigoth

The are being stored in
Program Files\Palm\user name (Visigo)\SunriseXP\vfs0
(so all the factors so far seems to want to put this stuff into the SD card and not into RAM)

I'm also presently using Hotsync v5.0 according to the PDA and v4.1.0 according to my desktop (I saw that there were a few questions related to this on the palm support website but haven't read into this yet). ...not sure if this could cause problems with Sunrise? I've never had Hotsync problems (until now) read below.

After rereading some posts I still have a whole bunch of questions/problems that need to be answered by help from Laurens/anyone:

1) (Laurens, you don't have to jump in here unless you have some knowledge you'd like to share about Palm OS5 or if this relates to how the Sunrise software works)
When I was checking through the customiztion dialogue "view files" area in the that Laurens had suggested in a previous post, I noticed that the folder that was my 'user name' did not exactly match what was listed on my PDA. So, I changed it. This created a whole new set of problems that I've never dealt with before. My PDA user ID has been 'Visigoth' for a long time (it shows me in the upper right hand corner of the Hotsync screen on my PDA). When I looked at the folder name in my Palm folder, it said only 'Visigo', so I changed it to 'Visigoth'. Everything seemed fine... until the next time I Hotsync'ed. When I did this, it recreated a new folder called 'Visigo' while the 'Visigoth' folder still remained. So now, I had 2 different folders for Hotsynching. So, I then deleted the 'Visigoth' folder, which left me with one 'Visigo' folder again. Anyone have any experience with this problem before? Does this explain maybe why the Sunrise stub doens't want to work with my Hotsync in any way?

2) To continue with SunriseXP / Hotsync issues, after I had the concerns with what happened in item 1 above, whenever I go to look at the same info for the SunriseXP 'custom' options through Hotsync, the Hotsync conduit gives me a warning box about:
C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error
c:\Program Files\Palm\Hotsync.exe
abnormal program termination

Laurens, any help on the problem here?
I already tried unistalling and reinstalling the newest version of Sunrise XP again and still have the same issue

3) I'm still wondering if it matters where the Sunrise XP stub is located on my PDA? Would it cause SunriseXP to behave differently if the stub was, only in the PDA ram? only in the PDA's SD card? or how about installed in both locations? Anyone fool around with this? Laurens?

4) Does it matter where the SXL file(s) that is created is saved to? Something in Sunrise has to be looking for a folder location, doesn't it? Or is it that just the SunriseXP stub says 'go look at' Hotsync and the Hotsync software looks for the SunrixeXP SXL file. (I'm guessing the latter) The reason I ask is that I just noticed something new when I was answering Lauren's questions in the last post. When I was looking in my PC's Hotsync 'Custom' option, I noticed that there was an empty box labeled SXL (I believe) with a button off to the side to browse for files. Am I supposed to insert in this box/field as to where my SXL files are located? Otherwise what is this box for?

Thanks for any help/feedback from anyone. Not sure if this is too much for you Laurens or if some of it helps as feedback.

....can't wait to read some followups
Old 01-25-2006, 02:09 AM   #7
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visigoth
When I was checking through the customiztion dialogue "view files" area in the that Laurens had suggested in a previous post, I noticed that the folder that was my 'user name' did not exactly match what was listed on my PDA. So, I changed it. This created a whole new set of problems that I've never dealt with before. My PDA user ID has been 'Visigoth' for a long time (it shows me in the upper right hand corner of the Hotsync screen on my PDA). When I looked at the folder name in my Palm folder, it said only 'Visigo', so I changed it to 'Visigoth'.
Don't do that! The directory name may be truncated or otherwise mangled. For instance, on my system it's "c:\Program Files\Palm\Lauren" even though my user ID is "Laurens". (If I use "Laurens M. Fridael" as my ID, the directory is "ML".)

All the other issues should not have any bearing whatsoever on the conduit's functionality. I'm going to look into this issue later. Your best bet would be to upgrade to the most recent HotSync version for your handheld. See the support area on the Palm web site.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:21 AM   #8
Visigoth

Yeah, that's what I said after I did it. Learning the hard way...
Just sort of had in the back of my mind was when you mentioned it might be a case sensitive issue with the Hotsync.

It's changed back and Hotsync is running normally.

I'm no longer seeing the Sunrise/RAM message anymore during a Hotsync.
I forgot to mention that when I did look to see what directory the files were being saved to, by Sunrise, there was one in the Ram file and a few others in the vfs0 file.
During multiple uninstallation/installations of Sunrise, I've noticed that uninstalling SunriseXP through the standard Windows 'Unistaller' still leaves a handful of Sunrise files/references around my system. I guess one remained in the the Ram file before my very first post.

So, having that old doc file in the 'ram' folder unknowingly, might have led to the attempt at Sunrise attempting to install to RAM. So I'm now thinking that's where the problem might have been.
So, we're a little closer to solving getting this to work...

Now that I've cleared out the 'ram' file/folder and only have one document testing in an SXL Sunrise file, which is properly saving to the 'vps0' file...
I'm only getting this during a Hotsync:

-- WARNING: Could not open /Palm/Programs/Plucker directory on Secure Digital (0x10004403)
OK Sunrise XP with 1 message(s)

Does this help home in on the problem I might be having?

Thanks for any more feedback.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:36 AM   #9
Visigoth

Ooops forgot to mention before my last post...
I'm still not able to read the files for SunriseXP in my Hotsync Custom.
Everytime I try to click 'change' button, Sunrise ends up crashing my Hotsync.
I've tested all other applications by clicking the 'change' button for them and they all seem to be fine.
I'm having trouble finding the residence/location of the SunriseXP files that interact with Hotsync on my PC to attempt reinstall them so that this issue can go away.

So, I lied. I'm not having 1 problem as summarized in the last post but actually 2.

Help when you can...
Thanks.